Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Looks good too with the beak removed
    This is very interesting.
  2. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    Interesting, really keen to see what you removed. I ported my air-box on the end of the inlet but couldn't see any restrictor inside unless I am missing something.
  3. BornSlippery33

BornSlippery33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any other problems? BS4 problems? Future service and maintenance in the States? Thanks
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum.

The problem bikes were in the first run BS3 Himalayans. There were no fewer than 36 changes and improvements made for the second run of BS3', relatively quiet since then. Our fellow inmates in Australia and the Philippines got second run BS3 bikes They report good things and are happy with them. I hear good things second,third or fourth hand about the Himalayan in South America. Youtube posters in India report the BS4 as smoother running than the BS3 and quicker 0 - 60 than the Classic 500.

Service an maintenance in the States ? Dealers are few and far between. Corporate is still growing the brand here. You can do it yourself or have it done by a competent shop. As long as its all done according to the book and properly documented you should be good to go.
  5. BornSlippery33

BornSlippery33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir. Good to hear.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Sir is what we call our dad's. My name is Mudd ;-)
  7. BornSlippery33

BornSlippery33 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mudd. Are you happy with your RE? The reviews, maybe just the old ones, are all over the place.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    My Himalayan ? won't be able to say one way or the other until after I pick it up and put some miles on it.

Mrs. Mudds Enfield we are real happy with. Other than tires oil changes and a battery it hasn't needed anything. It's been stellar and hasn't skipped a beat since day one.

That I havent "fixed" things that don't need fixing might have something to do with that.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    My kinda guy...

The Bullet/Cozy rig in the garage has been the same for me (there was a starter relay).

QUOTE="Eatmore Mudd, post: 33823022, member: 236948"]....

That I havent "fixed" things that don't need fixing might have something to do with that.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. BornSlippery33

BornSlippery33 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's great news. I'm putting the deposit down at the Ft Worth dealer. Thanks for the replies.

Adios
    cyclopathic and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Slip' I'll add a little more and answer this one a little better.
    Yup the newer unit bikes are definitely not the the old pre unit bikes. People don't always make that distinction.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seat modification
    Just about every review I read mentioned the seat as an issue,mainly that it was too soft. With mine I have three issues.
    1. Too soft...after a long ride, five or six hours, I was hitting the bars of the frame or so it felt
    2. Slightly too close in relation to the foot pegs and at my greatly advanced age my knees ached after a while
    3. The shape of the seat. Any scalloped seat and tailbone problems don’t seem to live well together.
    Now I’m not particularly big at 173cm (5’8”) and not super heavy at 92kg (not sure lbs) but I’m obviously not as small as the average Indian. And I realise one of the reasons this bike appeals is the low seat height.
    So I thought I’d do the experiment. Most dirt bikes and older road bikes have a relatively flat seat and I find I can be quite comfortable on them. I even had to change my previous F650GS Dakar to make it more comfortable.

Initially I just tried an Airhawk but it only lasted an hour. The Airhawk kept moving back and forcing me forward...into the tank. Not good.
    So I thought about it for a while. Then went and bought some harder foam 50mm thick and shaped it to size AAB34CFF-7BD4-4C73-A612-DF75C0F7E0CA.jpeg 4B30878A-586C-4BD3-803D-319500BA7D5D.jpeg 4542BA09-27F6-4149-BB90-0856F9058476.jpeg E4E0828E-4959-46D3-B97C-BD99B8D2FAEC.jpeg
  13. mettalique

Oddometer:
    90F88B84-C617-4601-8718-B40F1054C9A2.jpeg 7734896B-5FA5-4646-850E-9FFABBD1E62F.jpeg I used an electric knife to cut it
    Then covered it in some material to keep it all together
    7984412E-E24B-4E11-93D2-53A98503E1BF.jpeg
    Then I added the Airhawk. It adds approximately 50mm in height but the difference changes the relationship with the foot pegs enough to give my knees a rest. I can also have my feet almost flat on the ground.
    693BB4BC-AE7B-4E47-A7C4-326C2851D456.jpeg
    Today I did approximately 430km with no seat issue and my knees weren’t aching after a couple of hours.
    The next phase will be to take it to an upholsterer and get them to remake the seat to my liking...although now I’m sitting up a bit higher I’ll need a deflector on the top of the screen.

By the way if your interested my fuel mileage today was 4.1l/100km on 91RON and over three ranges sitting on 100km most of the time. I’ve just fueled up again but this time with 98 to see if it makes any difference
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Which model of the Airhawk are you using ?
  15. mettalique

Oddometer:
    It’s a “Cruiser” version...with a wide bum...I bought it when I had an R1200C BMW. I’d probably prefer the narrower one
  16. hedrek

hedrek n00b

Oddometer:
    I thought it was a very attractive motorcycle when I first saw it. Then learned it was designed by Pierre Terblanche (Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Cagiva, etc.). There is a funky RE shop in El Paso which I'm going to visit next week and see what their plans are. I have a KLR 650, which I like alot but it's frequently too tall and too heavy when off road in rough places. I also ride solo so when it falls I have to be able to pick it up and turn it around. I'm 65 so that's not getting any easier. I also ride in some pretty isolated places in New Mexico so I'm thinking the Himalayan would be perfect.
    derblauereiter and ErÑete like this.
  17. dlmarquez

dlmarquez dlm

Oddometer:
    Will a kick start mechanism be offered as an option?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    How is the long stroke torque work with this motor in the field? Does it make it easier to ride in dicier off-road situations?

How about build quality and reliability for the latest release? I saw one at the IMS show and it looked well put together.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    They told me Colorado has zero RE dealers now. Unique Rides in Fort Collins was a dealer but UR went out of business.

I wonder if RE could pick up dealers by allowing them to focus as Himalayan dealers only?
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Hey ! first post ?

Welcome to the asylum. :-)

Absolutely Terblanche had a hand in it. It was a big project that used the talents of a bunch people. Lester Harris and Harris Performance also did their part leading design and development of the engine, chassis and suspension. RE bought Harris. Paul Ventura ( Ducatti ) Simon Warburton and James Young (Triumph) Mark Wells and Ian Wride (Xenphyia) all joined RE's UK Tech Center in that time frame.