Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd think the chain would be much better than the nylon gears that some use,DAMHIK
    Eatmore Mudd, JBeK and Richarde1605 like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    New owner. So far, so good. Looking forward to reading all the remarks.
  3. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure on that. Plus the chain is immersed in oil and as mentioned, it's under a low load. So hopefully it'll last more or less forever.
    JBeK likes this.
  4. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps so..
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Just got through the entire thread. There is a lot of helpful information here and I wanted to thank the people that contributed some of the great thoughtful, relevant, and useful information in this thread. It is kind of difficult to sort it all out because there seems to be a lot more philosophizing by people that don't have much to do with actually owning a Himalayan. :dunno

I guess the bike is what it is and the people that bought one (or decided to buy one when they can) sorted out all their philosophical "issues" ahead of time. I hope to see some more useful insight here in the future. If I come upon anything useful to other owners I'll be sure to share it. Thanks again for sharing helpful information! :thumb
  6. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not forget that we have two separate (sort of) Himalayan threads here...

/
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You bought one?
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yes. it would have been ideal for the MABDR - even getting there on the interstate. But, the owners probably already know that. :D
    eakins, cyclopathic and Richarde1605 like this.
  9. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome Cannonshot, happy trails :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I'm really looking to find the right solution for a pannier rack and saddlebags. I want to preserve the "image" of the bike so I don't want to do my usual accessorizing. I hope to find the right saddlebags (canvas, leather, maybe nylon) that will be somewhat usable but will compliment the bike design. I plan to use it on adventure rides where I will pack lean and maybe rely on motels. I was trying to figure out the "image" of the bike. A buddy says he thinks it has some military lines. Military could be interpreted as utility so I see the connection. I haven't dumped my Tenere, DR 650, or KTM 500, so this will find a place of its own for some rides and probably as a go-to bike for general local riding.

If someone has some ideas or leads on the saddlebag and pannier issues, I'd appreciate any links or info. Thanks in advance.
    Richarde1605 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about those FS roads UP MI, also good?
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    . . . er, sort of. :lol3
    Bojer likes this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden it in deep sand yet so I don't know how it manages that. Maybe one of the other owners that has could share some insight based on actual experience. I'm anxious to know myself. Apart from soft sand, I think it will be fine for the rest of the UP. It would be ideal for those shore roads on the Keweenaw peninsula. I am anxious to head up there with mine.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve got some side frames ordered but not here yet. This weekend is GR3 and for their first use ever, I’ve got Ortlieb sort bike throw-overs on and like what I see; they may be a more permanent solution than I’d planned. This weekend and some time on Chad’s IA section of the Trans Wisconsin will be a nice test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Please share some pix and feedback after the ride. I'd be curious to know the positive and negative attributes. Thanks!
  16. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do. I’ve got a few sets of soft bags that I move between bikes; some fit and function better than others. I like how these Ortliebs ride high and long on the Himalaya. The plastic insert provides some support and it looks like they’ll adapt to smaller and larger loads. When my frames arrive, these will fit just that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to seeing your setup and getting you impressions once you get it all together and give it a test ride. :thumb
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about these:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z1239G/
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I looked at those yesterday. Kind of aligns with the image, but they don't look to be as durable as they need to be.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Himalayan. Enfields first bike with plastic fenders and side covers.
    Enfield Factory stuff will get here eventually. You could buy it from Oz or Europe but shipping..enough said.

Courtesy of Antherion in the other thread.
    "NH4Motorheads pannier racks (Buyer beware of quality here) - http://www.nh4motorheads.com/store/saddle-stay-for-royal-enfield-himalayan.html

Zana Motorcycles (This guy is in India too but makes much higher quality accessories like crash bars etc) - https://www.facebook.com/Zana-Motor-Cycles-265274847290230/?fref=mentions

Noosa Motorcycles/Scooter Style in Australia (For factory parts and accessories. These guys do free shipping for orders over $50) - https://www.scooterstyle.com.au/pro...re-parts/royal-enfield-accessories-and-parts/

IndiMotard Grease House Grunt V3 exhaust - https://indimotard.com/product/grunt-himalayan-black/

Dynamic Ryderz front pannier bags - https://www.facebook.com/groups/143851439142723/permalink/693792607481934/

Barkbusters hand guards - http://www.barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/royal-enfield/himalayan-2016-on

OEM hard luggage (Pricey!) - https://www.scooterstyle.com.au/product/royal-enfield-himalayan-aluminium-panniers/

Part Numbers
    Royal Enfield Continental GT master cylinder heel guard - # RE859071

OEM aftermarket exhaust (Louder) - # RE888562

K&N Air filter that fits REH - # RB-0510"

Stuart Allen's youtube channel (He has some videos he is making on the REH) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYGfTBp227o9_WhYfs2nzg "

Dangar Stu has a video on the Donowyn Rodricks saddle bag supports. Machine bent TIG welded powder coated stainless steel they're primo stuff.

Wolfman, Giant Loop and all that you already know about.

Swiss M90 rubberized rucksacks. Not counting the side pockets they're 17 x 5 x 13 and probably 20 liters or so capacity with the rubber throat rolled all the way down and the over flap fully cinched. Expanded up to max I'd guess 30- 35 liters capacity. I been using them for like over 10 years.

Not my bike, not my pics but these are the ones I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    talmage likes this.