Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links! Those rubberized rucks look pretty good. I was looking at some military stuff as I thought it might be congruent with the look of the bike. Size is going to be relevant as well, along with whatever rack they will become part of.
    wilfred likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Co-worker got them for his Bonnie and very happy with them, said well made. He ended up replacing buckles with metal milspec and waxing canvas, so total cost +$10 I think.

For the price you figure can't go wrong
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.
    I got a bunch of different boxes and bags and cases and whatnot. The rucks are my winter bags. Nice option to have on my gear shelf. It rains a lot in Seattle.
    wilfred and Cannonshot like this.
  4. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike is loaded, I'll be on the road shortly after sunrise tomorrow....

I've loaded the Moto Fizz like I always have, if I continue to use these bags with the Himalaya, changes will likely be made. This should be very workable for me, still allows me to stand though I seldom feel the need for where I go. I'm not a Stand Stander; instead I can (still) bend my right knee tight enough for it to clear the seat, my bent leg and foot clearing the 'Fizz....or at least I think that's what happens. I'm not flexible enough to actually see what happens back there. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good, but I wonder why the US bikes have round rear indicators, mine in OZ are the same as the front, unless your front ones are round also???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  6. Coopdway

Oddometer:
    Why don’t we get the 4-way flashers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We don't either in OZ, I think they don't in India either now...

8. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    They were dropped from production for some reason when the BS4 came out.

Scratch that.

They were dropped from production for some reason when the Indian Domestic Market version went EFI.
  9. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not totally correct, they were not on my Ozzy 'BS3', though they are mentioned in my handbook. I would rather we avoided the 'BS' references as there are many versions not just two...
    Better to refer to the year and market IMO.
    For example Australia still does not have EFI, but that is in many other markets, ABS in others again, round indicators in others...

JBeK and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    You are right.

Fixed it.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just received an email from RE Australia, the 2018 Classics now have ABS standard, perhaps the himma will follow???

12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have to be stamped with DOT number so they are likely sourced from different supplier
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Coopdway

Oddometer:
    Lake Pepin 6:05 AM

[​IMG]

jwaller, Bar None, JBeK and 2 others like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Yup, both round, front and rear.

Shouldn't be long before some fellas in Ozz and over here swap lights with each other just because.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After months of waiting…I finally picked up my Himalayan yesterday and rode it back home about 80 miles from my dealer in Buffalo to Rochester (New York).
    I’m a self-confessed ADV noob so there’s not much I can contribute technically to this thread that hasn’t already been said about the bike before but I will say this….a full 24 hours later, I still can’t rub this grin off my face!
    Top speed on this bike has been such a hotly debated topic on this thread (who cares!) but after my beloved and trusty “iron barrel” Bullet, little pleasures like disc brakes, LED lights, EFI, a sidestand (!) and button start seem like a HUGE upgrade for a simpleton like me….although I do miss the joy of a nice kickstart! :-)

A couple of times I just had to stop on my ride home and take in the view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there were two:

[​IMG]

I’ve enjoyed lurking on these threads and I’ve much to learn about not just about the bike but about ADV riding from you experienced folks and this community so thank you, keep up the banter….and if you’re ever in upstate NY (Rochester) or the Finger Lakes, hit me up and let’s ride! :clap

wilfred, SuperChuck, FR700 and 10 others like this.
  16. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I live in Ontario and our family used to go to Letchworth State Park every couple of years. A lovely place and it gives nice memories. That's fairly close to Rochester right?

Used to do some nice long-weekend tours through upstate NY and Pennsylvania and to the Finger Lakes BMW rally in Watkins Glen. Beautiful areas with great riding. Can't ride that far these days but holding out hope that'll change.

Good luck with the Himalayan. I LOVE it and can't hear enough about it, so please keep sharing your experiences.
    JBeK, voodoochilled and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    I been to that neck of the woods a couple times. Finger lakes in June and July is almost heaven. I need to go again.
    JBeK and voodoochilled like this.
  18. Coopdway

Oddometer:
    Voodoo, You’ve nailed it, most every way

Richarde1605, JBeK and voodoochilled like this.
  19. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell...I think the Classics getting the ABS is worldwide for 2018. It is single channel which means it just does one wheel.
    I read somewhere on the web that Australia would probably not get ABS on the Himalayan until the government mandated it. It is about keeping the price down I think.

There are rumors that the US Himalayans will get it next year. It is mandated by law in the UK and the EU so all Himalayans get it there but for here in the US, I would like to see a choice where you can buy it with or without the ABS. That is the way it has been with the Japanese Big Four bikes.

/
    Richarde1605 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that entire upstate NY area is really beautiful. I worked for the Eastman Kodak concern for 23 years and got to spend a little bit over a year on and off for business in Rochester. I traveled quite a bit in the Finger Lakes Region and always loved to go to Hammondsport and visit the Curtiss museum and spend time at Bully Hill winery back in the 80s when Taylor still was alive.. Great fun and the roads were awesome for motorcycling...
    Richarde1605 and voodoochilled like this.