Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more!

Regards,

Ken
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I do like your sentiments there Treebone. I have many illnesses, some just a pain in the ass the others can/will be life shortening. The Himalaya brought back to me why i love motorbikes. Ive owned 4/6 cylinders with over 130bhp in the past but i just started to lose interest in bikes. No character to them, I thought going back to singles may bring the enjoyment back i had 35 years ago. Well, the Himmie has bags of character. I love pottering around the back lanes in my micro adventures a few times a week. Without this bike, i wouldn't have found the small villages that are on my doorstep and yes the enjoyment has come back. I no longer ride at 80mph plus now, am more than happy to ride along at 35 to 55mph bracket.
    I too carry a very little selection of tools. The only extras apart from the standard RE kit consist of a pair of WW2 tyre levers and a couple of patches. If i break down i will worry about that when it happens.
    I do carry a phone but only for emergencies, It's so old it hasn't even a camera on it. Plus point is the battery lasts over 2 weeks even with calls.
    As Treebone said worry when it happens and don't stress yourself out, enjoy life. Ride a RE
    Bojer, Retro Iron and Kiwiscoot like this.
  3. cosmoxeon

cosmoxeon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very well captured, does resonate with many riders on this forum including myself.
  4. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too remember when it first started. Watched it back then, but your right, it's a worthless reality channel now.
  5. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The beauty is your always free to change the channel.
    rmattrpdx likes this.
  6. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased by Himalayan last Wed. I had a heart ablation Monday. Looking at the motorcycle that I can't ride is agony. Hopefully, I get back in the saddle in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, the temp and humidity is low here in NC for the first time in awhile. Perfect riding weather.....arrrggggg.
  7. Sac Steve

Sac Steve n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks for the write up. I live in that area as well (Roseville) and ride 70 on my BMW RT. Too much fun. Where did you purchase your Hima? I'm shopping dealers now. --Steve
  8. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there any discounts for 2019s? I also saw a video about some split in half bikes in India. What was the consensus here?

Sorry, haven't followed the thread in its entirety.
  9. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, you sure you want to stir that pot! :jack
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest that you search the thread, people are getting tired of answering the same questions.
    All frame breakages are un documented, and apparently confined to India.
    Mister_Dog and Ocho NA like this.
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    :hide
  12. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only photographs I saw were of a break that had started because of poor penetration at a weld - it seemed that the robot decided that having a nice smooth looking weld was better than a big lumpy thing like the Japanese factories do.
    But if you are doing something different to Honda it might de wise to check--------------.
    Problem was probably easy to solve, a few clicks on a dial until the weld looks a bit more like a Honda one and you are good to go!
    Ocho NA likes this.
  13. Thinwater

Thinwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not yet, still wading through the 4 microSD cards renaming pics and vids in order. My camera's got things out of chronological order and I have to wade through it now while I can remember and recognize.
  14. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I heard that if you upload photos to Google Photos, it will use its AI engine to analyze each photo and create albums for you. And then you can use filters/ search terms like: my pic in Scotland with wife in june 19 .. and it will create a album with those pics... never tired it myself , but was told by a friend ...
  15. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, depends on what you consider undocumented.. I have seen too many not to be concerned. Just the other day I talked to someone who is well versed in the Himalayans stationed in Manali and he had seen 24 breakups this season, including 4 of his own.

yes, so far with one exception they are limited to India AFAWK but that does only mean that about 60.000 of them have been sold there vs. how many in the USA? only a small portion ever comes to light as you have to really go there and ask, most victims of this quality issue will not come forward by themselves publicly, also because RE replaces their broken frames on warranty and no severe incidents except 2 have been the results of this, again AFAIK.

I suggest you watch these clips to get a better picture:

Then there is the recurring but wrong assertion that all breakups are the results of misuse. There have been multiple incidents where the breakup happened on plain asphalt at medium speeds with one rider and no luggage.
    Another such misguided assertion is that the breakups happen because the bikes are rentals. Yes, they mostly are BUT those who voice this do not know how rentals work in India: they are as good as NEVER rented individually, the riders go in large groups, often 15 or 20 at a time, and a truck or jeep follows them with spares, a technician and all the luggage. so there is usually only one rider on the bike, he is indian = not very heavy, he has no pillion rider and no luggage and, most importantly, he follows the tour guide in a duckling-row fashion, so no jumps, no extra special off-roading by the side. Yes, Indian roads ARE bad compared to Europe but RE Bullets go exactly the same roads every year, about 10x more of them, and you never hear of them breaking, and they are supposedly road bikes (vs. off-road).

So come to your own conclusion and ignore the fan boys. that is my 5 cents.
    and btw: I am working on a early-warning system, it is still in its infancy but when ready it will sound the alarm when the first hairline break in the metal happens so the rider has time to bring the bike to a stop before anything critical happens. Its not a solution per se but at least it should alleviate the danger to a certain extend if not fully.

-sam
  16. Ironhorse 332

Ironhorse 332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And here we go again.
    Doctor T, Richarde1605 and rmattrpdx like this.
  17. rmattrpdx

rmattrpdx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got these non-adjustable Tusks on a couple of my Yamahas, and they're pretty solid (and cheap). The plan for my soon-to-be Himma (maybe this Saturday soon...) will be to use some Tusk 7/8" to 1-1/8" adapters and go for some new fat aluminum bars. The tapered bars will be lighter, stronger, and nice and stiff without a brace. The adapters give 3/4" of rise, and I'll go for more rise with the bend geometry if I want to go higher. (I probably won't)
    tsimmons likes this.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Documented means at the very least, build date and km at time of failure. It is also irrelevant, unless you quote the source, to say a bloke who knows all things himalayan said .....
    None of your assertions qualify as documentation. Give it a rest will you please.
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  19. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve. I picked mine up from Euro Cycle Sonoma and then rode it back up this way. At the time I purchased it, I had debated getting a 1 way ticket to San Diego and picking the 2018 up @ Triumph San Diego to ride the 2018 back up here to Grass Valley. They still have it, and on their site have it @ 5500 OTD (not sure why, but we seem to pay a good bit more in CA/NV OTD for these bikes than the East Coasters do.) I'm sure if you tossed 5k in their lap, they'd bite and let you ride off into the sunset.

This weekend (Saturday) the local group is gonna head up Oroville-Quincy Highway to Bucks Lake, Quincy, and head back down via. 49. I'll be branching off and heading to Olympic Valley @ the 49 junction, but if you want to join us I'd be happy to let you check the bike out and even take it for a spin. It's insured so... meh! We're leaving Grass Valley @ 9am though, so it'd be an early morning for you from Roseville haha
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably just best to put Sam on the ignore list, he has nothing sensible or verifiable to say, or show.

FWIW I bought my Himalayan to use while I rebuild my BMW F650 with a replacement frame, as the existing frame is cracked at the headstock.
    The frame forms the oil header tank at this point so you get a little warning that the frame has fatigued beyond further use.

Other problems with these bikes included wiring harnesses which set themselves alight, fork lowers which cracked and failed spectacularly etc,etc.
    None were warrantied by BMW and usually they doubled of tripled the price of the dud part - I heard $1080- for the F800's dud alternator stator/rotor,and was quoted $1400- for a wiring harness and $800- to fit it.

So Sam, bikes break down, get used to it.
    Just consider yourself lucky that you didn't pay five or six times as much for a BMW with no effective warranty!