Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are probably correct, I only reply occasionally for some perspective on his "evidence".
  2. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    would you like the formula for faster-than-light travel along with it?

you request are nonsensical. I have no clue why you spout useless arguments that help nobody while I attempt to raise awareness for the issue.
    If you are over-identified with your purchase /choice of vehicle/brand or anything else that is a psychological flaw I cant really address in this forum.
    else explain to me why I should be obligated to provide any of the outlandish things you would want. I also would want a million dollars in my account and 25 KG less body weight LOL - fat chance!

If your argumentation would have any merit that in reverse would mean we would never hear of any flaw of anything from any manufacturer ever.
    Unless of course they would admit it. but I guess that aliens will land on the white house lawn before that day.

Now will you please stop spouting nonsensical stuff here, if you get a heart attack by reading my posts it is really easy to block me out, you know, just for health reasons. Just the way I do with you because I really have no more time to waste with stuff like that.

-sam
  3. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what perspective? you and your fanboy club just spout the same b/s stuff all over gain and again while I provide you with photo evidence and even INTERVIEWS. you guys must be hopelessly over identified to be willing to shoot in your own foot the way you do.
    I can only hope it wont catch up with you one day and if so that you will not be fatally injured.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to be a cock about it. I check mine regularly, but no sign of any issues. BTW I am from Australia. And you might get a better hearing if you didn't insult people with your attitude hateboi...
  5. TasTiger

TasTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok kids, that's enough! A bit of quiet please or you can all go to the naughty corner!
  6. Lajning

Lajning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home from one such tour. No Himalayan troubles. 3 bullets with cracked frames on both side at rear engine mount.

All vehicles traveling these roads will develop issues, some worse than others.

7. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well, that is exactly the point. there are approx. 100x more bullets on the road, possibly more. they do break too, usually at the point you mentioned.
    Its unnerving but not life threatening, often one can even finish the trip in spite of the cracking (I did).

Now for those who think: well then, whats the problem I suggest you do a simple google search:

google: "royal enfield bullet frame crack" - 277,000 results
    google: "royal enfield Himalayan frame crack" - 109.000 results

now consider the bullet is in the market since forever, 100 times more bullets have been produced over decades, and even if you consider only the last decade, this still holds true.
    around 80.000 Himalayan in total have been produced since 2016, vs. around ONE MILLION BULLETS EVERY YEAR.

that should put this into perspective.

But the most important aspect -and the reason I try to create awareness of this- is that the Himalayan frame breaks are potentially LETHAL whereas the bullet ones are merely a nuisance.

Anyone who defends a quality and/or design flaw of such magnitude is acting irresponsible to the highest degree.
    As of my calculations around 1% of Himalayans are affected - that is not a small number. In recent weeks it seems that this number is even a bit to the conservative side. But you are right, in the west the roads are better - often. If you want to gamble that the export versions are different/better, be my guest. I have tried to verify this one way or the other but could not. The factory states in no uncertain terms that there is NO difference in the parts used, only a difference in the configuration (ABS,carb,EFI etc.)

8. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winters coming....anyone have suggestions for a good winter tire? I live in Iowa, so some subzero temperatures, ice and snow. I've got studded tires on my mountain bike that are pretty amazing on ice but don't think that's legal on the street.
  9. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    I believe you have made your point........
    Bradster49 and Richarde1605 like this.
  10. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    Should say I've been looking at the shinko 700 or the kenda k270
  11. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you stay warm on an unfared bike in the winter?
    Yesterday, I did a 270 mile run mostly on roads, but a bunch of off-tarmac too, with temperature in the upper 60's, lower 70's and sunny with little wind. I had my Patagonia base layer under Rev-it textile pants below, Patagonia base layer under a very thick sweatshirt all under my First Gear mesh jacket. Neither pants nor jacket have liners or waterproof layers. Gauntlet gloves to prevent air in the sleeves. Full face helmet with a neck Buff and Forma Adventure boots with normal socks.
    I also had a tank bag up front.

While I didn't shiver, I was on the cool/cold side. I did have my leather jacket with me but was too lazy to pull over. I can't imagine riding in winter temperatures.

How does one dress for sub-freezing weather?
  12. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does one dress for sub-freezing weather?

Generally, carhartt carpenter jeans, carhartt "T" shirt, wool socks, and slippers when I go out for an armload for the woodstove.
    Randy likes this.
  13. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    Most of my winter riding has been on a bicycle. Used to commute year round in Milwaukee. It was definitely colder on the motorcycle, but not unbearably so. This is my first bike in about 15 years so we'll see how it goes. I usually just put on an extra layer under my jacket. I got some of those pants with fleece inside. It will mostly be commuting. I tend to run hot anyway, I blame spending my formative years in central Alaska. I'll probably get that extra tall screen on Ebay, I've got the barkbuster storms, and might add some heated grips. Just not sure how the pirelli perform in cold and snow.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    To stay warm in winter, don't wear mesh. I have several jackets that work, but my best combo involves a First Gear heated jacket liner. I also have a fleece dikki. Heated grips round out the mix, but I think I will get some heated gloves this winter. I wear Aerostich Darien pants and jacket. Smart wool undies are nice. I use the 3/4 length bottoms and medium weight long sleeve top.
    Steve Rice likes this.
  15. rmattrpdx

rmattrpdx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're looking at the K270, I'd also look at the Shinko 244. I've got each on a pair of Yamaha Xt225's, and prefer the Shinkos. They feel grippier and more predictable on pavement.
    Eatmore Mudd and Coopdway like this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said that bullets never break, but here we have someone on a tour with three bullets breaking frames, which you stated that they never do, and no himmas broke on that trip. Are you going to say he is lying?
    Your attitude and lack of facts leaves you with no credibility.
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  17. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Show me where one million bullets are sold each year, your credibility decreases with your every post.
    Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  18. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    Looks like they'd corner better as well.

Can anyone compare the shinko 700 vs. The stock mt60s
  19. talmage

talmage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear a Rev'It! scooter coat over a light down jacket, shirt and polypro long underwear. Ok my lower half, I wear First Gear over pants, jeans and long underwear. Both jacket and pants have a quilted zip-in liner. I wear gauntlet gloves and a full face helmet, wind-proof balaclava, and a scarf.

When it's really cold, I wear a Tour Master one-piece moto suit instead of the jacket and over pants.

I need to find something to keep the winter wind from blowing over the gas tank and into my lap.
  20. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    I really need to get some actual motorcycle gear. Jeans and a cheap winter jacket don't fit the look anymore. :D
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.