Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 0xsergy

0xsergy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PSA peoples, check your front brake caliper bolts. One of mine was stripped from the factory and was only holding the last bits of thread due to all the locktite becoming a glue holding it together. They used one bolt that is way too short. Also check out the cage on the bottom tstem bearing, not quite straight. I worked with bearings for 5 years, looks like a dropped bearing to me.

Attached Files:

2. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ This. I think seeing the commoner do these things is more inspiring to the average motorcyclist, because it reaffirms these dreams we all have of riding 'round the globe are rather more than a dream. For years I had dreamed to drive my Jeep from Alaska down into South America, at the very least to Bariloche in Argentina. Overtime though, it just seemed impractical. Now that I have the Himalayan, I'm back planning it again with the intent of embarking on said trip come 2022 (vacation time accrued etc.)

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna check on my caliper now.
    Doctor T and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy is pretty inspiring in the, maybe I could do that, sense. When he got to the Darien Gap, he put all his gear on a pac raft and paddled the 100+ miles to Columbia. It's easy to convince yourself of the impossibility of something, then you see someone prove those assumptions wrong.

Dune Pounder and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the guys on mondo enduro were amazing. They rode 40 k miles, unsupported, in about400 days. Great videos.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  5. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Would my 2 year warranty be invalid if i cut down the side stand and reinforced the tail rack? or would it just affect these parts?.
  6. Steve Rice

Oddometer:

I'll have to check them out. One last video. This guy travels some pretty far off, isolated places on his own. At first I thought he was a little chatty, but I suppose days of isolation would do that. This isn't a current video, I believe he's somewhere in central America now, but thought it fitting

Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  7. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:

DR350's rocked that trip !!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing my 3000 mile maintenance. Both valve clearances needed tweaking. All else good. Noticed item #7 in the maintenance schedule but not sure what it is. Anyone?? What should I be inspecting? And has anyone found crack on their machine?

In any event, this item needs to be replaced at 28,000 miles if not sooner.

7) HT leads for crack
  9. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    High Tension lead - in other words, spark plug wire. I already replaced mine along with an NGK spark plug.

Regards,

Ken
    johnny42 likes this.
  10. 0xsergy

0xsergy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh and one other thing, that bottom bearing seal definitely isn't holding out dirt/water. Mine had both in the bottom bearing grease, top was clean. You guys should look for a way to cover the bottom seal up, i'm thinking a blob of silicone carny will do er
    fe2cruz likes this.
  11. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I changed my MT60's for Shinko E804/E805 and they are better on all counts. Today we did about 300km on grass, thick gravel, stones, hard packed dirt and rock and they were far superior to the MT60's even tho they are more off road biased. I have not tested them in winter conditions on icy roads or in mud. The Shinko 700's should be way better than the MT60s too.
    Matt TwoTired and fe2cruz like this.
  12. Kannonball 88

Kannonball 88 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Himalayan for my wife, it’s a really cool bike, she loves it. I have a bunch of questions though, I’ve tried to search the forum but didn’t find exactly what I needed so here goes:
    1. Is there an oil filter available from one of the major filter manufacturers or is it a dealer only item? If it’s not a dealer only part could someone point me in the right direction, I checked Hiflofiltro, K&N and Mahle but came up
    with nothing.
    2. Is there a factory service manual available.
    3. I would like to install a switch so she can turn off the ABS. There are 3 fuses for ABS, I would guess I can bypass one with a switch but don’t know which one. If I do this will it cause a problem other than the ABS failure warning light to be on when the switch is open?
    Thanks for any advice you can give,
    Bruce
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    1. The standard filter is all you need. £25.00 for 5 include gaskets. Ebay.
    2. Yes but only in download form. Someone will point you in the right direction on this.
    3. Search on Youtube. An Indian chap( in English) shows you how to do this. The 1st of the 3 fuses. May invalidate the warranty on the bike.
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve heard great things about the 804/805’s. I plan to eventually get a set.
  15. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only bike I have had with ABS was a 2000 BMW F650GS
    The ABS was so unobtrusive you could never tell if it was working or not, the wheels just did not lock up no matter what, on any surface.
    The ABS was integral with the rest of the electronics, which depended on the wheel sensors for information, so when the ABS was out nothing else worked properly either, you went into limp home mode.
    Deliberately disabling safety features and making the bike more dangerous to ride would probably invalidate your warranty and would almost certainly invalidate any insurance you have.
    Just what is your reason for wanting the ABS disabled?
  16. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    A clever enough chap might replace the fuse with two spade connectors and wires going to the switch, and simply unplug said connectors and re-install fuse when taking the bike for service or government compliance inspection. Just sayin' (my Himma is a non-ABS model and so it's not an issue for me).

I'd guess it's because ABS can cause problems when riding on dirt. My 2006 R1200GS (whose ABS was, I assume, at least as smart as the ABS on a 2000 F650GS) had a switch (and a ridiculously cumbersome process involving turning off the ignition, turning it back on while holding the button, and then restarting the bike) to turn the ABS off when riding on dirt.
  17. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    ABS switch if you must. As i said beware of the warranty and what Beemerboff said regarding the insurance. If only using the switch for off-road most insurance doesn't cover for off-road or on private land anyway.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's a bit confusing. Nothing to go on but tread pics and street/dirt percentages.

The 700s look more aggressive but are also a 60/40 tire. The mitas e-07 seem to be considered one of the best all around tires but I heard the sidewalls are really stiff. Seems that would make repairs harder than necessary. The 804/805 look great, I just question my need for 40/60 tires living here in prairie land. A muddy B road is about as bad as it gets.:-)
  19. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Don't think that will work unless you remove the tell-tell lamp, remove the ABS rings from the wheels along with associated sensors and wiring. Maybe the service agent is thick or the government compliance inspection chap hasn't a clue on bike specs by years and equipment.
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said previously, the black box usually gets signals from the wheel sensors too, they are not only for the ABS.

I never had the slightest problems with the brakes on dirt with ABS , but when I ride a bike or road or dirt the brakes are pretty much for emergency/goof use only.
    If you are a heavy user of brakes on dirt you are going to come a cropper sooner or later, and I doubt if disconnecting the ABS will prevent that.

Circle track dirt racers have the braking thing worked out, both in the US and In the ROW - have a good look at the bikes to see how they do it!