Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    I just finished doing a full tune up on my BMW R1150GSA and took it out for a ride after 3 weeks riding only the Himalayan... so much power!!! the BMW pulls like a bull. I had forgotten what 85 mph felt like, and how fast I could reach it.

It also reminded me why I am selling it and why I am riding the Himalayan now: the BMW is too heavy, too big, too cumbersome, and I am not a confident rider on it. The Himalayan might be slower, but it's easier to maneuver, lighter, and much more forgiving. Horsepower isn't everything. Some people get surprised I am selling a R1150GSA to replace it with a Himalayan, but I have no regrets. Both are excellent bikes in their own right, but I am a better rider on the Royal Enfield.
    oalvarez, greg.279, FloydNY and 9 others like this.
  2. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a shame M. Dog. I was sidelined for 6 or 7 weeks after my crash. Hope you heal faster, but without a bike to ride, there's no hurry. :D
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much sums up why I am riding one too, only our interstate highway speed limit is 110 km/hr and most of the back roads I ride on are 80 km/hr , so I don't miss the top end much.
    And , as a little bit of a " solo " adventure rider, on a handy little bike I am much more likely to head off down some unmarked track to see where it leads, wouldn't want to get bogged on a 320kg monster that takes four people to pull out of a mud hole---------.
  4. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, shit does happen. Thank good luck you survived ok. Get well soon brother.
  5. Mister_Dog

Mister_Dog Digging Under the Fence

Oddometer:
    They say it'll take about 4 weeks for the foot bone to heal.

I have a vstrom 650 and an xmax 300. The xmax is a maxiscooter so no foot controls. I should be riding again when the strains and sprains all settle down. Hopefully Monday at the latest.
  6. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good. Shame the deer was a write-off. Always carry a sharp knife, don't butcher the whole beast, just slit the skin and help yourself to the loin meat.
    http://morningmoss.com/best-cuts-venison-guide/
    Only joking of course. Glad you're ok.
  7. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got single track a mile from my house :ksteve
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    I got miles of desert roads next to my house, but for mountains I have to drive almost 2 hours.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Just glad you're OK. Take time to heal.
  10. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a Front Rider Touring for the Himalayan, the text information is "Rugged and comfortable, the accessory touring seat benefits from 3D net technology to evenly distribute weight for increased comfort over long distances. With a hard wearing non-slip cover and Royal Enfield branding, rugged has never looked so good"
    Someone know if it's very more confortable compared to the original seat, the fabric seems diference too ? price is 85 USD on ebay from india.

touring_seat.jpg
  11. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    I was hoping you had a scooter. Bike withdrawal is terrible. So glad also that you survived to ride again and didn't let dear or fear stop you!
    Oilhed likes this.
  12. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    No joke, get a harvest license lol! I've considered it just for the hides. But hey, a fresh kill - still has good meat!
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend got the standard seat. No where as comfortable as the tall seat. I thought it hard as a rock. I did 6500 mile trip on the tall Seat concepts, never had a sore bum.
  14. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did the Smokey Mountain 500 this past weekend. My friend with his new Himma went along. Only 600 miles on it and he has a rear flat (4 " nail) out on a fire road far from any help. I have ridden 94,000 miles on motorcycles and scooters the last 10 years and have never had a flat! Lucky for my friend, I had all the tools to change out the flat tire. Took about 45 minutes and we were on our way with a new tube installed.
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    How was the 500? How were the HImmas? Are you planning a report?Video?

Working on my tool kit myself. Picked up two HD tubes yesterday. Purchased an ogio tail bag to carry "stuff" Might eventually build a tool tube. Thats the beauty of the NC700 "frunk". Have a nice set of tools, spares etc in there with room to spare.
  16. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Will be giving mine the look-see.
    rpiereck likes this.
  17. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Glad you're still able to tell us about it. Bless the good PPE!
  18. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    I get the same look when I tell my friends I'm selling the Harley and keeping the REH. I try to explain it... but I guess they are just incapable of understanding.:lol2
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. rmattrpdx

rmattrpdx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both for the lowdown. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to 1-1/8 bars with an adapter, and will have a good look at some CR Highs. Will report back when I get the fully farkled cockpit set up.

For any that have read any of my few posts here, I won't qualify this one with a "soon to be a Himalayan owner". Finally picked up an ABS Snow Himma from another inmate in Oregon this last weekend. Pretty stoked.
    rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    If you need a longer clutch cable you can use the cable for a RE Bullet Classic UCE 350/500 they're the same on both ends as the Himalayan but two inches longer.