Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 770

770 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the final product.
    Please contact me if you're interested in one.

Anodized aluminum bracket and hardware is 45€ + shipping.
    Unfortunately individuals in EU have to pay additional 20% sales tax.

Cheers,
    Ol

KROWNWORK_REH_InstrumentBracket.png
    gsborn, gavmac, Matt TwoTired and 6 others like this.
  2. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to inspect my Himalayan to get to know it better and I'm amazed not to hear the sound of a relay when the full light is turned on.
    So I'm afraid that all the intensity of the headlight goes through the commodo, if that's the case it's not a good idea.
    I found the wiring diagram in the workshop manual but the quality is very bad I do not see well.
    Would someone have the wiring diagram (Euro4 version) in good quality or confirmation or not that there is no relay? I have the impression that no
    Thank you
  3. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so you are really Scots: actually I've eaten good roadkill, but never just cut the good bits like I suggested, but I know a guy in Scotland who does as deer abound and bound where he lives. I'm in Spain now, wild boar's the biggest hazard, but I've never seen any boar roadkill, just dog or cat frisbees, don't fancy them...
    Loadtoad101 and ScotchmanDR like this.
  4. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, check out the owner's manual the schematics are good quality there, not the service manual: all the manuals are on https://www.royalenfieldowners.com/index.php?threads/owner-and-service-manual-links.63/
  5. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yip, just got mine from India, it's a good bit longer: I shitcanned my risers but I need the length as I re-routed my cable to give it a less bent routing, longer life, easier lubing, less wrist strain.
    Eatmore Mudd and rpiereck like this.
  6. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Himmie Lighting Stuff.png
    Reply № 2: Yes, you're right, the juice flows through the Ignition switch and then the lights main/dip switch. I agree, these days it's strange not to have the high current, I = P/V, controlled by a relay. It would be easy enough to fit one. My solution was fit a cheap lower power LED, about 20W. I don't travel much after dark. That blew due to overheating(!). When I go on my next long trip I'm going to fit a lights disable switch (and possibly an ABS disable too) to save power and make it better for stealth camping. Maybe then I'll fit a relay too. The ignition circuit also needs modification to disallow futile starter motor operation when the sidestand is down.
  7. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    The system does allow starting with side stand down, but only if in
    neutral. That way you can let the bike warm up.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QQThe system does allow starting with side stand down, but only if in
    neutral. That way you can let the bike warm up.QQ

Aye...perhaps I should explain myself more clearly: I don't want the starter motor to pointlessly spin when the ignition is disabled. If, let us say for the sake of an example, on my T100 Bonnie, I tried to start with the bike in gear, sidestand down and clutch pulled in, the starter motor would not turn, and I would immediately go "doh" and hoick the sidestand up, or whack her into neutral. On the Himmie, in the same scenario, I start to think, "bloody Indian crap" for a couple of seconds before thinking "doh". I fail to see the useful functionality of allowing the starter motor to turn the engine while ignition circuit is disabled. But that's only my opinion, dude. Obviously no-one else here has this problem as they don't have the mental disability that I suffer from.
  9. 47025

Oddometer:
    On the Himma the starter won't crank without the ignition on or any other time the engine ignition is
    disabled that I know of. If it does then something is wrong.

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. chelmi_ouest_coast

Oddometer:
    tappet_adjust_tools.jpg

I bought this type of tools on eBay but it is unusable, not enough space on the intake side and exhaust side it passes but nevertheless not usable. Engine alone and without the cylinder head cover it would be usable. Or a different model but in any case dismantle what is fixed on the frame above the engine.
    Finally the solution clamp and key flat is the most practical solution.
    Not much room for adjustment.

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. chelmi_ouest_coast

Oddometer:
    Thank's for the info to find nice wiring diagram.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sucks, just got the same one
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

There is always the Treebone valve adjustment tool.

[​IMG]

" Picture of my simple adjusting tools. The deck screw can be found at your local hardware or lumber yard.
    Drill a small hole in a piece of hardwood, Super Glue will hold it fine if the hole in the wood is a close fit, but it is not rocket science.

Grind off the excess and Bob's your uncle.

Cheap feeler gauge can be bent to suit.

10mm wrench completes the set.

Remember, this is a machine primarily for use in 3rd world countries, keep it simple and improvise!! "

From the royal-enfield-himalayan-hacks-chops-tips-and-mods-thread and the original post #8731 of this thread.
  14. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just get a deck screw with the square head. Screw it into a piece of wood. I am going to start selling these hi-tech devices. Just send me $50 and I'll get them right out to all you guys wanting a tool to adjust your valves. :hide IMG_20190926_140207233[1].jpg
    Kiwi59, rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  15. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Video on Smokey Mountain 500. At the end we are fixing a rear tire flat on the trail. I've ridden 94,000 miles never had a flat, my friend goes 500 miles and picks up a 4 inch nail. I always carry tools and a tube when more then 25 miles from home for just this event. ya never know.
    https://youtu.be/7Ixaozyh7qQ
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it still might work once I do the injection delete kit that also came in the mail. I just hit 1000 mile so I'm doing a second service to double check everything, change the oil, magnetic plug, check the valves again. Then I'm considering it broken in and will see how she likes the highway.

On a cooler note, it's finally starting to feel like fall. It was 50f this morning heading in to work. I'm going to have to dig out some gloves soon.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  17. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be too sure about that.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. 47025

Oddometer:
    I rode down to Rising Sun In. I found this sea plane outfit on the Ohio river

DSCF1816.jpg
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Do not wory, It is no problem. Moto headlights have been powered by this arrangement of switch and wire for a very long time. Uncounted millions of Japanese bikes have had no problem with this. Mrs. Mudds Enfield ( and millions like it ) have never had a problem with this arrangement. None of my bikes have either. :-)
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  20. brghtboi

brghtboi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran a test of just how far I could go on my Himma with full tank of fuel. I ride roughly 20 miles per day both on highway at speeds exceeding 75 MPH, up and down substantial hills and on roads with stop and go traffic at 35 MPH. I have a Rotopax so I filled it, filled the Himma and rode until the bike literally ran out of fuel. I went 277 miles before the fuel ran out. That's 69 MPG.

I had to know. I was filling up when the fuel gauge read empty but could only put in 2.8 gallons of fuel before the tank was full... Now I know. BTW: My gas container holds 1.3 gallons of fuel. When I used it to refill my Himma's tank, the gas gauge doesn't move off empty. That makes sense as filling when the gauge reads empty only allows 2.8 gallons to fill.

So... not sure if all Himma's are this way but on my bike if the gas gauge reads empty I still have around 1.3 gallons of fuel....