Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    That should not be too difficult. It's been done in India.

Enfield has been using the same basic switch gear since about 2004. It's the same stuff Suzuki used to use back in the 1990's. Mrs. Mudds 2009 Enfield has the same switch gear my old 2006 pre unit Enfield woods bike had. Other than having a blanking plate/filler plate where the lighting OFF/Park/ headlight ON switch could be installed , my Himalayan has the same stuff too.

sqeeezy likes this.
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Another way to look at it is when you run out of gas with a carby bike you switch to reserve right ?
    On our Himmas the gage reads E , F trip comes on and we have 5 liters / 1.3 gallons in reserve.

What I'm waiting for is one our Himalayan riding brethren to invent a little e-lek-tronic fooler that plugs in inline and reads the fuel level sender and then lies to the gas gage in two fashions. First is from actual full to actual empty ( sorry charlies no F trip here ) and the second correlates the graduations on the gage to the actual quantity of fuel in the tank instead of the height of the fuel in the tank. Because the way things are shaped, half the height of gas tanks does not equal half the capacity of the tank.
  3. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't understand a word he said :vardy
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  4. Sac Steve

Sac Steve n00b

Oddometer:
    To the brain trust that is the REH page, what is the difference between the 2018 and 2019 model Himalayan? Thanks, --SacSteve
  5. Treebone

Treebone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ....12 months?...
    Kiwi59, Sac Steve, Flicka and 5 others like this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    They changed one letter in the VIN code. That and ABS became available on US models. And BOLD NEW GRAPHICS ! aka third color option "sleet".

[​IMG]
  7. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that info. I always fill up around 160 miles. Nice to know that I have quite a bit more range.
    brghtboi and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    Be very careful. Running a Himma empty is not advisable. They are known for burning up the fuel pump when dry. In fact it cautions against this in the owner's manual.
    brghtboi likes this.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    It's not a Himalayan thing it's an all EFI vehicles with in tank fuel pumps are known for that if it's done repeatedly thing.
    rpiereck likes this.
  10. 47025

Oddometer:
    Well some vehicles definitely have heavier duty pumps than others. The Himma is not one of those. There have been reports of the Himma being especially susceptible.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Keihin is the EFI supplier to RE, it's good stuff. I reckon if we're in the habit of keeping it above two liters as a mater of practice we're fine and it should survive the one or two times a person might have to choose between running down the fuel level or walking 15 miles.
  12. 47025

Oddometer:
    No harm in being cautious. :-)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well it will be the end for carby bikes in New Zealand and Australia. Both countries brought in regulation that from 2020 all bikes above 125 must have ABS. Shop told me today that all Himmas will be EFI too and all for a NZ$1000 more that 14% price increase. Guess the resale value of the carby bikes will be rock bottom once the EFI bikes come in.
    Will be a sad time because it will be the end or most of the Suzuki range here too, DRZ250, DRZ400 and DSR650, Kawasaki KLX250.
  14. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, back in Rishikesh, my home away from home in India and preparing to get my broken and awfully welded frame exchanged (for free).
    The bike now has 28 tkm and will also get a new timing chain (up for change at 30 tkm but my other one broke at low 20s, so no risk taking here)
    I am planing to have some reinforcements welded to the new frame as long as it naked, head and also near foot rests where mine actually broke.
    Then priming and powder coating it RED (just for fun). I purchased the instruments conversion kit from our friend Oliver (he has a msg about this somewhere here) so the sideframes go and my beloved Ladakh carrier also goes. I will get some softbags to throw over the pillion seat when traveling long distance, hope that solves the overload on the rear frame issue.
    I am considering getting a beaten up fuel tank, cut it both sides, add 2cm so it gets that much wider, without the sideframes that should work and it will give me 20l fuel capacity so I do not have to handle those jerry cans (although they look cool).

I am looking for a better seat though. Mine is already upholstered a bit (with gel pad) but I still get a sore ass after 1h or so. With one of those airhawk-knock-offs I last twice as long but they destroy the looks IMO.
    If anyone has experience with and a tip for a third party seat thats more comfy I would appreciate it.

-sam
  15. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why you think that? Only because some clueless lawmakers prescribe it does not mean EFI is better. I'd go for carb any day if I have a choice.
    The value might even rise.
  16. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    How easy is it to remove the rear fender on the bike? I am thinking of changing my bike's color...
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Maybe, maybe not. There's something to be said for simpler, fewer parts and less electronic sensors. Some folks just dig old's cool tech. Also 14% increase in new bike price just might make the used bike more desirable by a few % $$.
  18. ScotchmanDR

ScotchmanDR aka MOTOBEAR

Oddometer:
    I picked up a CSC SG250 as my secondary bike for this very reason. It can't go everywhere my Himalayan can, but it makes a reliable backup; or just a slower pace for a change ;-)
    Coopdway, Eatmore Mudd and rpiereck like this.
  19. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you're relatively unscathed. Bikes can be replaced, but life and mobility can't.

Cheers to a speedy recovery. :beer
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one of those as my first bike (began riding in June of this year) and put 1800 miles on it in about a month.

Fun little bike for what it was but I'll be honest, the thing is a poorly made turd haha

In fairness I didn't expect much more for the price, but all of these claims tarting it up as something better than a $2200 bike come off as just paid advertising. After owning one for a bit, I quickly realized that the Revzilla review of the 2018 was at best, a very optimistic review on what that bike actually is.

Fun to ride for short bursts and good to look at, from a medium distance but that's about where my compliments of it stop. Thing rides like crap, manufacturing defects everywhere, the dealer did next to no prep of the bike whatsoever (what was done, was half assed), and I suffered a myriad of issues out of the box that I just mended myself as CSC was polite, but a bit less than helpful when I reached out to them with issues.

Shortlist:

LED Headlight malfunction and halo failure (I unplugged the Halo day 1 anyways because it looks stupid IMO)
    Finnicky fueling from the carb/carb not adjusted (sorted out myself)
    Front brake-line run inside the fender brace and consequently, partially rubbed through by the tire. (Had I not noticed this prep issue, it would have likely resulted in a crash)
    Rear rotor was either slightly warped or covered in so much shit that a can of brake cleaner couldn't remove it (rear braking resulted in a feeling of a pulsing rear brake)
    Sticky/cruddy front throttle (modified and sorted)
    Speedometer/Odometer that is a good 10-15% off.
    Suspension is crap for more than 15ish minutes
    Missing tab for the left side panel, so instead they (factory) crudely welded a small piece of steel rod that doesn't line up, and used a zip tie to fasten the left/airbox side panel.

There was a bunch of other crap off with it as well but those were the main things.

I was very lucky to have turned around and sold mine 2 months after purchase for damn near what I paid for it. Still, I don't deny that it's fun to ride but that's largely due to it being tiny/lightweight and having so little power than you can thrash on it 100% of the time and still be well below the speed limit.