Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    S&S Tacker Himalayan. Being introduced at the AIM Expo in Columbus OH tomorrow. This is an entry level flat track bike, 19" wheels, carbon fiber seat/tail, high level exhaust, intended for beginners to flat track

[​IMG]
  2. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Himalayan Euro IV Wiring Harness - Starting, Charging & Ignition (EFI) System.png
    Maybe it's cos I've got a Euro IV EFI bike. Your American bikes must work differently. Looking at the Himalayan Euro IV Wiring Harness - Starting, Charging & Ignition (EFI) System schematic, I can see that the Relay Starter (solenoid) Terminal 2 (BR/G) is fed +12 volts through Fuse 2/IGN SW/Fuse3/Kill SW/Starter Button.

The other terminal, the ground terminal, Relay Starter Terminal1 (BR/L) is safety disabled by switching the GND path through the Clutch SW mathematically OR’ed with the Gear Position SW. When the clutch lever is pulled in OR when the Bike is in neutral the GND path is made, thus enabling the starter motor to rotate. No mention of sidestand switch.

The starter rotates regardless of the sidestand position.

The sidestand switch is not part of the starter motor circuit; it connects to the ECU and when it is down the ECU disables the ignition unless the bike is in neutral, but it doesn’t disable starter motor operation.

Post your schematic: I'd be interested in the differences. Cheers.
    Mister_Dog and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday and today I manned-up and had a go at my cylinder head bolts and tappet clearances. I referred to MrDog’s post and have not a lot to add.
    I decided to move all the doohickey valve stuff out of the way to make it easier, and tied it up and back as much as possible.
    Like the Dawg, I found the cover to barely clear the top of the timing chain but in a rare moment of clarity I tried taking it out the other side and it was zero problem.
    The French dude makes a good point about taking care to avoid pin rotation. I slipped the correct bolts into the cover and held them there with duct tape.
    Lots of grey sealant to remove carefully with fingernails, blade or scissors in the holes. Don’t let it fall back in.
    My 4 x head bolts were all ok as checked at 42 N.m. A thin bead of sealant on the lower side only. I then checked my tappet clearances: I’d forgotten the values so I measured them, looked up the correct numbers and wow! found them to be in spec. That’s at 9,500 km with this possibly being the first proper check as I suspect the Enfield mechanic didn’t do them when I took it in for service.
    Took her for a quick sixty mile run and no drama. No weep from LHS silly little bolt, the beginnings of a weep from the rear rocker shaft Allen bolt cover thingy that predated my intervention, honest, guv.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  4. Sac Steve

Sac Steve n00b

Oddometer:
    There's one in every group! ;-)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    Ok I retract some of my misconceptions. , but You are not altogether entirely right on some things. After checking the wiring diagram and actually testing the bike here is what I came up with.

1- If the bike is in neutral regardless of the clutch or side stand position the bike will start.

2- If the bike is in gear and the side stand is up, but the clutch is out, the bike will not start or crank. This is a safety against starting or cranking in gear with the clutch engaged.

3- If the bike is in gear and the side stand is up, but the clutch is in, the bike will start.

4- if the bike is in gear and the side stand is down, but the clutch is out, the bike will not start or crank. This is also a safety against starting or cranking in gear with the clutch engaged, But!, this is also a safety against the bike being accidentally being knocked into gear while on the side stand. This I am happy to report happened to me. The bike was idling in neutral on the side stand and somehow my pant leg caught on the shifter and knocked it into gear. The bike started to lurch, but the safety killed the engine.

5- If the bike is in gear and the side stand is down, but the clutch is in, the starter will just spin but the engine will not start. This is a safety to prevent riding off with the side stand down. I believe this is what you are referring to. Obviously the ECU can detect when the side stand is up or down. It gets the signal from the side stand switch which is wired to the ECU. If you bypass this feature some how. Then the bike may not start, or at the least you will
    disable the side stand safety feature. I guess RE thought that trying to wire it so the engine doesn't crank or start with the side stand down and the clutch is in was just too involved. I don't know.

Now the part that I do not know how to explain is the clutch switch. The clutch switch is a 3 way switch. It is not just open or closed. It works in conjunction with the side stand relay and the instrument cluster. I am not sure how these circuits all work. I believe this is so that the system knows that the clutch is all the way in or all the way out. What I do know is that the system does sense when the clutch is in or out as shown by the tests above. Maybe I shouldn't use the word sense as it is managing the grounds. I wonder if the ECU can get a signal through the instrument cluster.

Whew! I hope I didn't miss anything!
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta wonder if there's any go faster goodies inside.
    KennyBooBear and rpiereck like this.
  7. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    The article states that it has modified exhaust, air filter and Dynojet Power Commander installed. But that's all. It only weighs 360 lbs! That sure will help. Notice that is does not have a front brake.
    rpiereck likes this.
  8. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been defeating the side stand switch since........
    the last century?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No real flat track bike has a front brake.

They are actually racing them tomorrow night. There is an indoor race in conjunction with the AIM Expo in Columbus. There is a class for them and pics I saw shows multiple bikes.

Little heavy, but hey, it is based on a stock bike. My first thought was some sort of spec class. Press release says it is an entry level bike. Flat track needs an entry level/play bike.

I am thinking it would make a decent indoor bike, wouldn’t have to baby the throttle.
    Bradster49, rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    Givi engine guard installed today, easy peasy installation. I think it's the best crash bar for this bike. EM Lineamoto has the best price. Givi part number is TN9050.
    PSX_20190927_190620.jpg PSX_20190927_190718.jpg
  11. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed, sir, an interesting and exhaustive check-out. I'm not actuallly sure what you mean by "but You are not altogether entirely right on some things", but what the hell... I never checked out starting it in gear with the clutch lever out and in gear, so thanks for all that. You're still not really grasping my intent, though. In 5-, you say
    "5- If the bike is in gear and the side stand is down, but the clutch is in, the starter will just spin but the engine will not start. This is a safety to prevent riding off with the side stand down. I believe this is what you are referring to. [EDIT Yes, correct] Obviously the ECU can detect when the side stand is up or down. It gets the signal from the side stand switch which is wired to the ECU. If you bypass this feature some how. Then the bike may not start, or at the least you will disable the side stand safety feature."
    Nope...to say it once again...my desire is
    not to bypass the sidestand safety circuit ( I am guilty of taking off with the sidestand down on another, temporarily hot-wired bike! Shit does happen) but, now pay attention...I want to disallow starter motor operation when there is no possibility of ignition i.e. in this specific instance where you have been gracious enough to admit that I was correct, and that my bike operates in accordance with the schematics. The mod would involve operating an extra relay from the sidestand and using contacts from said relay in series with the solenoid GND connection wiring. I'd call this the "Sqeeezy Sidestand Alzheimer's Starter Interlock".
    47025 likes this.
  12. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    huh, nothing, I've been doing it since the last millenium....and I've driven off with it down too, having being short-changed in the brain attention dept.
  13. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clueless lawmakers cleaned up American air. Google L.A. or NY in the sixties and seventies and you'll find out why. You couldn't see down the goddam streets because of automobile pollution. I'll go for air my children can breathe. I don't care if I'm the only tree-hugger on this forum of hairy bikers. I fkn love my bike, I bought it and I ride it and it pumps less poison into the air than bikes used to do, and I think that's a good thing.
  14. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another 200km ride today. A truly stunning day. This bike rocks.!!!:clap
  15. FarklePilot

FarklePilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for delay answering, off on a road trip... Yes, was Seat Concepts regular....
    CDRODA396 likes this.
  16. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Los Angeles in 50-80's. You are right about the air. You could look toward the Mountains to the north and not see anything but brown haze. A storm would come thru, blow out all the smog and right there in front of you the mountains would be towering above you, felt like you could reach out and touch them!
    tumblingdice likes this.
  17. gsborn

gsborn n00b

Oddometer:
    Just say Hello from Denmark, I got my Himalayan since March, it cost her in Denmark ca. 8.200 $ or 7500 euro. It is the tax.
    The meter tells that i driven already 13000 km. Some km I made on the holiday trip to the Barents sea / North Norway, Kirkenes with the bike.
    The rear tire MT60 I changed at 12000 km.The front tire I will change to a Heidenau K60 Scout.
    The pictures is from a small part of heathland called " Kongenshus Hede "
    Greetings

IMG_20190825_085215.jpg IMG_20190825_085234.jpg
    brghtboi, velobuff, alexdf and 11 others like this.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    ^^Nice !!!!^^ Greetings and welcome.

19. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me 168.7 km, sure was a lovely day. This bike rolls! :photog IMG_0443.jpg
    Kiwiscoot, 47025 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  20. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, that's a lot of tax, mine had 300 km on the clock so I got it 400€ cheaper: registration changed, on the road for 4,600€
    KennyBooBear likes this.