1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:

Sounds good let me know how it works.
  2. KennyBooBear

KennyBooBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic bars.

Just one note; they're cheaper from Carpi-Moto once you factor in shipping. Shipping included I paid 144, whereas including shipping Lineamoto has me at about 150, but also a transit time estimate of 4/8 days. Carpi-Moto had the bars to me in 3 days from the date of my order. (Ordered Sunday night at about 10pm and had them on my doorstep at Noon on Wednesday.)

Either way, a few dollars is almost moot especially considering the quality and how stout these bars are. I've dumped my REH over on the trails probably 5-6 times now, and the bars have worked perfectly with no need to hammer them back into shape. .120 wall DOM is the business!
    rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. Toogzweire

Toogzweire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there Gsborn,
    I noticed your topbox.... This is what happened to me today: returned from the dealer for a service and after xx miles, when arriving home: topbox gone, with inside GPS and mounts, without even noticing it... When going back the trail I luckily found my topbox along the trail!
    I knew there were issues with the standard rack, so I installed only a small topbox (smaller than yours it would appear) and never loaded anything heavy.

T

Attached Files:

rpiereck likes this.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Here's how one dude reinforces the tail racks, pretty slick and looks like the way to fly.

rpiereck likes this.
  5. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Redverz expedition 2 adventure tent for sale. This is the holiday inn of tents. Used but in serviceable condition all zippers work as they should. Included 3 ground cloths $250.00 free shipping this is a fraction of the cost of new you wont be disappointed also delivery to Barbers vintage fest possible IMG_20190919_091657.jpg
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  6. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    I installed my top case from orion power sports and an aftermarket rack just finished 1500 miles with no issues the oem rack is questionable for holding any load
    Eatmore Mudd and Sea_Scout like this.
  7. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys out there have been warned about the OEM rack. Please, will you riders out there reinforce your rack. It's been a known defect for years.
    rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any issues with the heavier weight bearing rear rack from Hitchcock's? It looks solid
  9. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    I
    I Have a zana rear rack with my topbox mount plate you could use the rack to pull a truck out of a ditch
    tumblingdice and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Justs sent ya a pm.
  11. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It
    It's on sale for 4,200 rupees now which is an amazing price. Thanks!
  12. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    If you are buying get the one with out the top plate
    tumblingdice likes this.
  13. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    Looks like that is no longer available I had to remove the top plate to replace it with a red dirt plate for my topbox mine doesn't have a back rest
  14. Mister_Dog

Mister_Dog Digging Under the Fence

Oddometer:
    Yeah, love my maxi. People make fun of it, but it has 50 locking liters of storage under the seat and better mileage, top speed and acceleration than the Himilayan, just sucks as an ADV bike.

Hilarious listening to people at work, "well you aren't gonna ride til spring, I guess?"

"I was thinking Monday." (maybe Wednesday? I really want to make sure I can trust my sprained wrist / shoulder if Ivan the Terrific falls over).

One kid gets it.

Forcefield Isolator 2 is absolutely the best bargain in the world at $50 per pair of pads. From the bruising I have about 3 unbroken limbs due to the good folks at Forcefield.

I was wearing an unrated chest protector and that probably saved my life and certainly saved me from flail chest. I had a mild left lung contusion that would have been several broken ribs and a collapsed lung, at *least*.

Leatt neck ring and a Snell rated helmet too. I took a shot to the helmet and had very mild neck strain that probably wouldn't have been very mild without a neck brace.

21st century motorcycle PPE is astonishing. You're insane not to take advantage of it.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  15. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the Zana rack works with the factory pannier racks? Its why I don't already have one.
  16. alexdf

alexdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    la Contraviesa???
  17. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 170 mile ride up to the nearest ORV park. The ride up was nice. Took some back ways. Rode along the Iowa river. At some point I'm going to have to do the dragoon route that follows the river across the state.

Having never been to an off road vehicle park, wasn't sure what to expect. Most people were on motocross bikes or 4 wheelers. It kicked my ass. Where it was dry, I actually did fine. Surprising the rutted hills I could go up and down comfortably. Unfortunately there were lots of mud holes. Dropped the bike once trying to turn around. Some of it's me. Alot is the pirellis. Terrible mud tires.

Anyway, I fueled up and headed home. Got about 20 miles before the rain started. Rode the last hour and a half in a medium rain and 60F temperature. Got soaked, eventually a little chilled wearing jeans and a windbreaker. Warmed my hands on the motor. Wished I had bought a full face helmet. I will say, I put in earplugs on the way up. It was a completely different experience.

Here's a picture from the way up and the way back.

Attached Files:

Eatmore Mudd, Kiwiscoot and 47025 like this.
  18. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now the downside. I just got to 1200 miles. I was trying to get home and took the freeway. The bike topped out at 65 mph. As in I could give it more throttle, it just wouldn't go any faster. This is Iowa, a flat straight highway. A bit later I got it up to 75. Then it powered out again. It did it awhile back on a gravel ride. I was only doing about 50. I twisted the throttle to accelerate and nothing. I've also noticed if I've been riding and pull the clutch to come to a stop the engine drops down to 2000 rpm then slowly settles down to the normal 1200rpm idle. I'm going to give it a post break in service and oil change, see if anything turns up. I know it's not a powerhouse but that was pretty damn disappointing. I just watched one of Nate's videos and he says his will run 85 and cruise at 70 no problem. Maybe I'm one of the ones that would benefit from the power booster. Guess we'll see what turns up tomorrow.
  19. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    Something's not right. It sounds like it is leaning out like a fuel pump screen clogging or something.
  20. Capt. Gary

Oddometer:
    I have oem panniers and racks the zana rear rack works fine without issue 20190829_160538.jpg