Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured it had to be something. Hopefully something easy. I just hit 1200 miles so it seems weird the filter would be plugged, but who knows. I'm doing a service and putting on a injection delete kit tomorrow. I'll take a look at the plug and fuel pump as well. I will say, I keep updating the Hitchcock's big bore page. It's supposed to be out the end of the month, which is now. Curious what it will cost and increase by.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. R.E.H

R.E.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will still break at the front, I had done somthing similar and it broke right before the reinforcement started.
    The welder told me that because the rack tube is so thin the heat that is produced to weld the reinforcemnt it weakens the original tube.
    Either go with a stronger one or replace / reinforce the orignal tube (the whole thing) and then it weights 3 times as much :)
    fe2cruz likes this.
  3. rafapiloto195

rafapiloto195 n00b

Oddometer:
    My one in Brazil. Just reached 5000 km on it. No big issues at all apart from the rack problem... I just ordered a new reinforced one...Will post pictures when installed.

IMG_20190715_103554_229.jpg

Attached Files:

Eatmore Mudd, 47025, twowings and 4 others like this.
  4. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Si. La conoces?
  5. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NO arguments there, but its a bit confusing to allow trucks to throw out real hefty shit and then punish the bikes which have never been a major contributor, in that sense clueless. In india this is particularily apparent bordering on the comic if you see what the buses, trucks and diesel rickshaws throw out - compared to a meager bullet. other than that I am all for electric.

310px-Diesel-smoke.jpg
  6. Mister_Dog

Mister_Dog Digging Under the Fence

Oddometer:
    Have you tightened your internal cylinder head bolts down? I had the 2000 rpm and falling idle and a sense that the motor was progressively loosening up and developing less power before I snugged mine down to spec. That's why I was willing to take the trouble and risk of opening it to fix it.
  7. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a similar combination for the same reason. Plastic scooters make great commuters but off road leave much to be desired. The Himalayan fills that void nicely.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  8. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before you waste any money on the aftermarket stuff I'd start with the basics of a good service. She doesn't sound like she's running quiet right. That said, my idle on the second bike is the same. Sits high before dropping. And 1200 miles is still kinda low. Mine was still a bit tight 'til then. I've generally found that thrashing the nuts out of them is the best way to loosen them up. I'm not suggesting that's good for them in the long run, but definitely for now it makes the engine a lot more willing to rev out. The Hitchcocks kit I'd imagine will run to a couple of grand. My issue with them is that when I bought the Powertronic off them they pretty much wiped their hands of it when I initially couldn't get it to work right. It was Powertronic themselves that helped resolve it. I wouldn't therefore spend that much money with them given their poor after service, IMO at least.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  9. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two things: first, maybe you're expecting too much from a heavy 411cc bike. I'm old and slow and haven't really tried to see what the zero wind, flat, straight road top speed is, maybe I've seen a bit over 110 kph, about 70 mph, seems ok to me. Second, I ran/broke mine in quite conservatively, following the recommendations, but it wasn't really until after I started giving her more stick/throttle that she started loosening up, maybe as late as 5000 km. I don't regret breaking her in gently, what I'm saying is maybe it takes longer than with other bikes. Apart from that, have you got paint flecks in your tank choking your pump filter or something. Or stick your spare spark plug in to see if that helps.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  10. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    Hey, It could be a number of things. I shouldn't have mentioned the fuel screen although possible. Did something get wet in the rain or did something come loose when you dropped it. The slow idle drop would not be caused by a lean condition.
  11. TasTiger

TasTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    215 Km on Thursday. From sea level to 1180 metres. Rough, steep dirt roads, blacktop twisties and everything in between.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Oz the only deck screws I could find with a 3x3mm square hole were stainless steel and in boxes of 120, so more expensive than the proper tool.
    However, my local dirt bike shop sells both the parts of the adjusters separately so I was able to buy the screw adjuster on its own for a few bucks.
    Years ago, when auto service shops set the valves on a hot, running motor you could buy a adjusting tool with a micrometer click on the screw, which made it a real quick and easy job, even if you only used it on a cold motor.
  13. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    With BMW F650s it is the opposite - A carbed Funduro is hard to find and in reasonable condition will usually sell for more than the post 2000 injected bikes
  14. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have the Zana rear rack with factory pannier rack? I contacted Zana and they said their rack is not compatible.:scratch
  15. Mister_Dog

Mister_Dog Digging Under the Fence

Oddometer:
  16. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Dunlop D605's on their Hima yet? Thinking that's my next tire set.

Pics from Flying Monkey Rally in S Utah last week (thanks Jesse!):

Saturdays pre-ride meeting:
    IMG_1234_Snapseed_LI.jpg

Point Sublime N Rim Grand Canyon NP (Humphrey's Peak is 75 miles away from Pt Sublime as the crow flies, 203 miles driving):
    IMG_1165_Snapseed_LI (3).jpg

Zion NP:
    IMG_1171_Snapseed.jpg
  17. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

Care to share how you went about reinforcing your rear rack?
  18. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Here

I have quite a few mod/accessory posts in this thread in Feb-April this year after I first got my Hima.
    Eatmore Mudd and tastroman like this.
  19. Ironhorse 332

Ironhorse 332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the D605's in the garage waiting for me to find the time to put them on.
  20. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Can't beat the price, found them for $92.86/pair (inc. tax) shipped from https://www.jpcycles.com . That beats my cheapo Shinko 700's at ~$105/pair