Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rmattrpdx

rmattrpdx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, has anyone had issues with exhaust leaks when the bike is cold? Mine starts and idles fine when cold, but as soon as I roll on the throttle a little I'm getting some fairly pronounced leaks near the exhaust/cylinder connection. They go away after the bike warms up. Flange is good and tight, so I figure I'll get a replacement copper gasket (or two) and see how that goes. I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the oxygen sensor, but I'll give that a check now that I think about it...
  2. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    What is that tank bag you're using?
  3. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Write up Here

Pretty much everything I did to the bike has a write up in this thread, so if you searched 'tank bag' posted by me in in this thread (only) you'd find it. Electrical, panniers, racks, rear rack/box, heated grips, handle bars, headlight, aux lights, emissions stuff removal, skid plate, electrified tank bag, tank grips, seat, exhaust...
    rpiereck and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  4. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! :beer
  5. alexdf

alexdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No he llegado a caer por ahí, pero recuerdo el efecto de un mosto jovén de Albondón que me creaba problemas para salir de la Chana :D
    Saludos!
  6. Capt. Gary

Capt. Gary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My zana has no back rest could be an older model I just know it works for me
  7. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Givi have a support which fixes under the tail light and allows the light to remain, but it will cost a lot more than azgsa's solution, as it only comes with a Givi baseplate.
    From experience on other bikes vibration might be as much a problem as outright weight, so a bit triangulation and damping might work better than their mass might suggest.
    Tried a set of Dunlop 605s on a BMW F650 Funduro, better than expected on bitumen, didn't like them at all on hardpack gravel , looked 60% worn after 300 km but with a bit careful use managed to coax them out to 900km, although by that time they were pretty squared off.
    FWIW I got 12,000 km out of Mich Anekee 3's ridden a bit harder on the same roads and tracks, so they actually end up , err, a lot cheaper.
    But, no mud or deep sand, of course.
  8. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aha, el vino costa, el infame vino que debería llevar una advertencia de salud....ya no bebo....menos mal....Saludos de la Alpujarra!
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  9. DaveH55

DaveH55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine was doing the exact same. Turns out it had a broken pipe clip on the air injection valve and was sucking air. Worth a check
    internalcombust and Mister_Dog like this.
  10. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just bought a Himalayan and want to put soft luggage on it. I have ordered a pannier rack. I was wanting to buy 21 Brothers Sakwy 30 litre bags, but I don't think they will fit due to the exhaust. Has anyone got any recommendations for cheapish soft bags that will fit? Another I have looked at is Nelson Rigg Sierra bags, which might fit but I don't know how to find out without buying them. I have some Oxford Heritage bags on my Harley, which would fit, but I would prefer bags with a bit more volume: it's very difficult to close the roll-top on the Oxford bags if they are full. Anyone got any pics of soft luggage fitted to their Himalayan?
  11. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered from them a set of 5 oil filters, 24 euros. Surprise from DHL who asked me to pay 21 euros more for their service (15 euros DHL handling fee and 6 euros customs duty). That is almost the price of oil filters! I think it is the same for the other European countries in the euro zone. Good even with these additional costs it is cheaper than at a dealer in France who also commands in India.

I am looking at a punctual solution in the case of roads very very dusty.
    The pre-filter should be the first 'layer' in contact with the outside to protect the air filter, in the configuration of the Himalayan if the pre-filter is mounted on the air filter it is found behind it. The air filter is not protected.
    So I think take a pre-filter and put it at the plastic entrance, the scoop. To eliminate some of the dust that gets to the filter.
    For information, I plan a long-term trip where the roads will be potentially dusty and where there will be no royal enfield dealer and I do not want to carry 2 or 3 air filters.
    The cleaning air filter solution is practical.
  12. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.nazbags.com.au/
    I have Andy Strapz. My fitting post.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-354#post-37251498
    Jetlag Jon likes this.
  13. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am running a Uni filter
    https://www.ebay.com/p/171133591
    Only thing is the air flow is from inside to the outside so the pre filter doesn't really do much. However it is easy to clean and the bike runs great. I have had it for the last 4 months and done more than 5000 kms.
    I have also chopped a OEM filter and made my own Uni filter with dual layer of Uni filter foam. Cut the end off and cut and removed the outer mesh.
    pic3.jpg
    then removed the paper but left the inner mesh intact. Fitted a bottle top to the end of the inner mesh to support it. mage an inner "sock" of pre-filter Uni filter foam and an outer layer of finner Uni filter foam.
    pic1.jpg
    Fitted outer mesh.
    pic0.jpg

I haven't tested it yet. I would use this on dusty roads but the current Uni filter has just been fine.
  14. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday: I said “no drama” … I lied…drat…after reassembly and test ride the ABS light is staying on, take note not to stomp the pedal. Weather’s turned a bit hot so I’ll leave it for now.

Saturday I owed myself a blat up the mountains as Friday had been a tinkering day, so … Bike fine, little rear skid on heavy braking confirmed ABS not working, ABS light still on. Then noticed dipped beam not working…mmm…main beam neither…mmm…tail lights neither. Home, checked lights fuse F6, 15A, blown, changed, ignition on, blown again. Thinks “must be something I’ve just done…”

Monday morning, tank off, measured doohickey twin GND eyelet to a good chassis/GND connection. 8.6 ohms. Not good. Replaced the not so shiny M6 bolt that I’d fitted (after losing the original somewhere) with a shiny one. The one that holds the “Item 18: Bracket Assy Solenoid Valve “ onto the chassis under the tank. Now reads a nice low 0.2 ohms, as low as my DVM goes. New fuse in F6. All good except for MIL light which irritatingly stayed on for a few start/stops till I’d forgotten about it, now ok.

Dunno which particular ground eyelets these are but just a point to be careful of. I thought I was ok screwing that little bracket on with that not new and shiny screw, but it didn’t make a good enough electrical contact. So a pair of bad grounds can blow a fuse! I’ll work out why one day when i suss where those two ground connections go.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  15. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put these on. Just did the Smokey Mountain 500 with them fully loaded. So did my Son and another friend. When I saw my Son's LoMo bags filled I couldn't believe how full he had packed his. The looked like they were ready to explode. He put them on a KTM 690 and rode very aggressively. No issues. Just make sure the straps are pulled up tight to keep it off of the muffler.

On this video, go to 4:00 minute mark to see two Himmas fully loaded with LoMo bags, then the 8:00 minute mark to watch a Himma fully loaded with the LoMo bags traverse a rocky road. If you order LoMo bags the shipping is the same whether it's one set or more. I ordered 3 sets to split the shipping costs.
  16. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Steve Rice likes this.
  17. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    While riding the Smokey Mountain 500 last week on some steep, rocky terrain, I got to thinking about the owner who put on the 40 tooth sprocket. My riding partner with the Himma had some real troubles in places and could not keep his momentum up and would stall. Then when trying to power out of a stuck situation on a steep slope he would stall again. Got me to thinking that the 40 tooth sprocket would be beneficial in those situations. I put on a new chain just recently and would like to try the 40 tooth sprocket. Is there a way to do this without buying a whole new chain? Can I get some links to add, and if so where would I buy just a couple of links? Any input would be appreciated.
  18. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey, love your videos. You had one that convinced me to get the bike. I'm sure it's something simple, as everything on the bike is pretty simple. I've been pretty happy with it, though I've been keeping mostly to the break in schedule. Ran a bit faster just because of our speed limits. Think I was just cold wet and disappointed when I hit the magic number, opened her up and could only get to 65mph. It does seem intermittent, as in I had it up around 75 a couple times on a country highway. And even if it's the head bolts, that's not to complicated. Just need a rain free day for maintenance.

As for Hitchcock's, I only got the delete kit from them. I'm thinking the kit will be under 500 given the price of the other kits. I actually mor interested in getting it sorted and swapping out the exhaust and battery and maybe rim's at some point. More as a weight thing than anything else.

Just curious, is the lands end to john o' groats route an off road route, or a mix of stuff? I was under the impression that most off roading was prohibited in GB.
    Doctor T likes this.
  19. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'm expecting to much. I know everyone likes to make a deal out of the 25hp, but I drove across the country in a VW bus that put out 50hp and weighed 5000 lbs. In fact most of the cars in the 80s put out 100hp or less. I really don't know how we managed. :-)
  20. Steve Rice

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check it out. That whole mess is going as soon as I get to it. Should make valve checks easier as well.