Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. SigFTW

SigFTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if changing out the 15T to the 16T gearbox sprocket will add to the top end speed? I was on a 75 mph highway and I was barely able to maintain 70.
  2. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doubt it. At 70 in fifth gear, the engine is pretty much at peak output. You’re not running out of rpm, you’re running out of hp, and taller gearing won’t help that.
    Coopdway and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about taking my Himalayan to Wisconsin this weekend (Slimey Cruds run is this Sunday). Weather’s supposed to be mostly sunny but chilly—high 40s/low 50s. Electric vest weather... can I trust the Himma’s charging system to power an Aerostich Kanetsu (4 amps) for an all day ride?
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    A little some of this works wonders.
    [​IMG]
  5. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be just fine if that is the only big load you run on the bike. Alternate running the vest and heated grips if you have them. Running USB for phone/GPS will be fine.
  6. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    Just something to take note of. The rectifier is held on by two bolts. The top bolt screws into the frame but the bottom screws into an tab that is welded to the frame. Mine's top bolt could not have been screwed in tight, causing all the weight to be on the bottom bolt and the tab. The vibration caused the tab to snap right where it is welded to the frame. Check those bolts. Luckily the top bolt holds the rectifier just fine.
    Matt TwoTired and Mister_Dog like this.
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Alternate running the vest and heated grips

That's been the go-to method for me with my DR's and airheads, both with less than stellar charging capacity. It works.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  8. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. Maybe you're not. Just a thought. My first car was 425 cc, 12.5 hp and I used to carry the Contour Road Map of Scotland in order to avoid unnecessary ascents.
    Mister_Dog likes this.
  9. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aye, thanks for that, NO-OX-ID 8 Oz Tube of A Special Grease Compound: never heard of it before but it seems good stuff.
  10. brghtboi

brghtboi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SigFTW... I live in Colorado at about 5500 ft above sea level. I've changed my air filter to a K&N, added the Delkovic exhaust and am running a platinum spark plug. My Himma has a bit over 3k miles on it. I have panniers on the bike and I weigh 190lbs. Once I put about 1500 miles on the bike I started pushing it hard. I can easily maintain 75MPH on the highway and have been known to hit 80MPH for long stretches (25 miles) before backing off. I have had the bike over 85MPH, fully loaded panniers with a loaded 70 liter soft bag on the tail, slightly downhill in the mountains but it starts to shimmy at about 83MPH. This is all to say the bike can certainly cruise at highway speeds, at least with me on it, without any gearing change. Now, I must say the motor makes quite a bit of noise when I'm pushing it hard but I've come to realize that is completely normal.

I've also had the bike through rivers, mud, big bash guard scraping rocks, soft dirt, etc... and the bikes not missed a beat. I've gone on a couple 600 mile trips through the mountains where I was hammering it in 4th gear at 70MPH up and over hills and also hammering the bike in and out of 2nd and 3rd gears on dirt roads and also crawling through mud and rivers in first gear. The bike handled it all with ease and is my daily commuter where it handles the every day chore of toting me around without complaint.

I'd say this, you likely don't need a gearing change. You just need to ride it like you mean it, don't baby it. Once broken in just ride the hell out of it and enjoy.
  11. alexdf

alexdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Un abrazo paisano from Mexico :-)
  12. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On those tough sections, I would have started crying, turned around and went home. :muutt
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why you don't go alone! You will feel less likely to wimp out if others are watching. :kat
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why I purchased the Himma, to get my inexperienced butt through those sections.
  15. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a solo motorcyclist my whole life. None of my friends rode. Later, none of my co-workers rode. I never really looked into joining any groups of riders. I'm sure there's lots of riders out there like me. But now that I have lots of free time, I'd be interested in group rides or at least one other rider. Just don't know how to go about that, for the particular bike I ride and the kind of riding I'm capable of.

So right now, I'm plotting out a ride for tomorrow back into the Allegheny National Forest in PA to do the forest roads. They seem to be well maintained so rocks and mud shouldn't be an issue. If they are, well, I can start crying, turn around and go another way.
  16. velobuff

velobuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hit 75mph(indicated, not gps) once when I took my panniers off. I can hit 70 with them on.

We need to drag race and see the difference your mods make over my stock Himalayan!
  17. velobuff

velobuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So true. I’m 100% more likely to try something alone than with someone else, which, ironically is the dumbest thing to do
    Doctor T and Rich B like this.
  18. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    What ever happened to the Hitchcock’s big bore/performance development? Anyone heard?
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  19. Kiwiscoot

Oddometer:
    Well my ol' carby Himma has seen 135 on a straight road both ways. Standard screen , canvas panniers, top boxand Bark Busters and my 6'4.5" frame on, but I did tuck in behind the screen. :) However she has a bigger 130 main jet, needle lifted and a 17.5 idle jet and a Uni filter. However my fuel consumption is no way near the EFI bikes, only 22-23 km/l - 63 UKMPG - 53 USMPG. My riding out of town tho is at 105kph / 65 mph mostly. My guess is that my consumption will go better to 24 km/l if I was to do 80-90 kph. On off road trips the consumption does go down to about 24 km/l.
  20. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I'm retired and my son is still working I do ride a lot alone. But when I do go off the road alone, I carry a Garmin Inreach to summon help. I also stay off of the hard stuff and ride a lot slower.