Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been wondering the same thing. Was hoping some of you early adopters would have one on by now and we could get some feedback.
  2. DaveH55

DaveH55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still "under development" I believe
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hitchcocks have been around for more than sixty years, and you have to be doing something right to stay in business that long.
    So hopefully we can expect that when/ if it surfaces the final product testing will have been done by their staff, not by the first customers.
    Might have been a bit easier on the carbed bikes, probably a bit more work with an injected motor, unless they are going to sell it as an "off road only" modification.
    Things other than the piston, barrel and software might need modification too, the oil cooler, exhaust, clutch, ect, me need to be upgraded to cope with the extra heat and power of the larger engine.
    Or they may have heard a rumor that the factory is planning to do something similar to revive sales which seem to have plateaued a bit and are holding off to see if it is true - 86 x 86 has magical connotations, just a pity Toyota already has the name on their rebadged Subaru sports car
    Bradster49 and Doctor T like this.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I too have ridden alone for 99% of my biking life. I started legally riding when i was 16 and now am 56. Never joined any clubs or organisations. Only had one mate back in the early days that rode motorbikes but that stopped when his bike was stolen and never replaced. My eldest son is a biker(KTM 1290s) but ive only ridden with him once or twice as he is a hard offroader. To be totally honest i like to ride alone, i ride my own routes, my rules with no time limits. If i want to stop or carry on there is no one to moan or but in. It helps i like my own company, i don't have to interact with other humans to enjoy myself. One thing i won't do is push my limits or do what i consider stupid.
    P.s

Didn't know Toyota owned Subaru
  5. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don,t think Toyota own Subaru, but their 86 is a re badged Subaru BRZ? or something.
    Anyway it is a flat four, with 86x86 cylinders.
    Apart from that I agree / align uncannily with the rest of your post, except that my youngest daughter rides a 390 Duke, and I have been riding around 20 years longer, bit less if you stipulate legally!
    Doctor T likes this.
  6. SigFTW

SigFTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    brghboi, Thanks for the info, I and at the 1,300+ mil mark on mine. I installed a Delkovic exhaust, now I need to buy the K&N filter and platinum spark plug. I'm 6-3" and 240 lbs, so my Himalayan is carrying 50 labs more. I also run with back panniers and cloth front. Maybe with the filter and spark plug change I can hit a more constant 75 mph.
  7. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Working on breaking in the Himma, do about 10 miles in the neighborhood each day, under 35 mph. Will take awhile. Recently had a heart ablation so trying to stay close to home.
    Retro Iron likes this.
  8. bearorso

bearorso All Bikes are ADVs

Oddometer:
    "86 x 86 has magical connotations" beemerboff.

Yup, 499.621988 !

I think Hichcocks bore is 83mm? Might be the limit, perhaps.

I'm leaving any Himalayan purchase to after Xmas / New Years now, so perhaps news of any changes to the Single, and the intro date of the 650 Twin will be out, by then.

Perhaps, even the strangely delayed KTM 390 ADV, too........ made in India, just like the REs.
  9. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most successful Manx Nortons were 86 x 86 but you probably have to be as old as me to know they were!
    Yes, read somewhere that 83 was the limit for a bolt on to the existing motor, so a 86 bore might have to be a factory/machine shop job.
    I was waiting for a 390 ADV too, or something from KTM which a arthritic pensioner could get some sensible use from, but sensible is not a word most would associate with KTM.
    Tried a 390 Duke, but my daughter ended up with it, just didn't suit me.
    Nearest dealer is a bit off-putting too, and next one is 800 km down the road!
    Bradster49 likes this.
  10. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been banging my knees against the tank rails a lot lately (downside of being over six feet, with a 34" inseam), and the recently-added Goofit handguards bang into the windshield in a way that renders the fork lock even more useless than it already was. Thinking about ways to remedy both of these situations. One is to remove the rails entirely and attach the gauge cluster and headlight to the forks, making the bike a few pounds lighter in the process and opening up the possibility of all sorts of windshields or small fairings (Rifle Superbike still in production?). Inmate 770 has made a nice mounting bracket for this. The other intriguing possibility is moving the rails forward a couple inches. It looks to me like the crossbar that's bolted to the frame downtube could be removed and re-installed on the other side of the downtube, which would move the rails forward about 2-3 inches and maybe down a tiny bit, and a simple plate could extend the mounting bracket at the steering head. This would give me more room for legs, handguards and windshields, while preserving the distinctive look of the bike. Anybody attempted such a modification?
  11. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IThanks! I have actually just ordered a set of these, came across the same video while browsing YouTube yesterday. couldn't believe how cheap they are compared to other brands, they look very good. As they are from Glasgow, postage was very cheap too. I also ordered a tankbag and first aid kit from them.
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My £10 eBay handguards look very similar to your Goofit guards. Mine to touched the screen when first fitted. I moved the screen to the highest hold and with a dremmel i shaved about 1 to 2 mm off where the guards touched each side. Unless you hold a standard screen next to it you wouldn't know it has been customised. As for you Knee/ Tank rail problem i can't help as am only 5.9" with 31" inseam.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just found this on YouTube. Dyno runs to compare a standard Himma to a modified one. The Mods fitted were a BMC air filter and a Red Rooster can.

Conclusion, leave it standard
    sam2019 likes this.
  14. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I removed the side rails but kept the cluster where it was. I was able to fabricate a simple but sturdy bracket that mounts the headlight and turn signals. I also fabricated a small windscreen to protect the cluster.

IMG_20190512_155006.jpg

IMG_20190512_154955.jpg

IMG_20190512_154949.jpg

Regards,

Ken
    Tomocan, sam2019, velobuff and 4 others like this.
  15. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Are those elastomer suspended bars? That's crazy. Very 90s mountain bike. I think you win for most unique ride.

Were they worth the money?
    Richarde1605 and Doctor T like this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    That's looking good
  17. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Little question about the spark plug cable, the cable is crimped on the coil side ?
    In fact i was surprised that it is not possible to remove the spark plug from the spark plug without lifting or remove the fuel tank !?!
    So i would like to change the spark plug with a bent model, for example a Champion PRO 0U.
    Thank's.
  18. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've been using the FASST bars for years now. As to worth the money, I transferred these from another bike I had (G650 X-Challenge) so no real cost. I guess it depends on how you ride.

As to most unique, you have no idea. I've fully converted this bike from EFI to carb, built my own rear shock, skid plate, rear rack, air intake, etc.

Regards,

Ken
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  19. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I do have an idea having followed along on this thread. :-)
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Gotta be our techniques are a li'll different, yah it's close but no probs getting the boot off to change the plug ( iridium :-) ). Maybe give it another go ?