Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did post a link to a sturdy looking rack in post 11503 for those who prefer something bolt on.
  2. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    You can just remove that bolt but you won’t get the whole picture just most of it.
    When I pulled mine it split the paper gasket, I put it back in with no leaks, but I also didn’t drive very far I suppose.
    You can buy the gasket paper from parts stores so you could always just make your own if you did split it. It’s not a oil pressured tensioner just a spring and a lock the spring can get weak, but the lock stops it from loosening unless the lock is gummed up. Mine looked still looked new when I checked it.
    You can also always take a screw driver or pry bar to your ear and touch the engine all over to isolate noises, they sell a fancy doctor ear scope but pry bars and screw drivers always worked for me.

Sucks that it’s not over yet yes, but on home so atleast I’m not stranded anywheres anymore. The uhaul rental and fuel bill sucked, I averaged 8mpg in the uhaul vs the 65mpg the bike gets, I think I spent more fuel going 600 miles then I did going to Canada, across Canada and then back to the top of Texas.

If you take it apart take the sliver bolt out then the other 2. Then reverse order to put together, unless you want to force extra tension on the chain for whatever reason. Don’t laugh, I know Techs who do that with automobile timing chains. They put on bolt in leave it so the other one is just off self pull the pin till it locks then force it over for the second bolt to line up(different style then ours).
    I’d run out and take it and take a picture but my bike is away some where’s right meow.
    Kiwiscoot likes this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a great day yesterday riding this little route around the area. Left at 9:45 and mad it back home by 4 pm.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran mine in at about 110km/h in pouring rain for 300km in an afternoon. No choice, no problem.
  5. R.E.H

R.E.H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a collection of some pictures of my summer trip

fe2cruz likes this.
  6. mb8

mb8 One planet, no option.

Oddometer:
    I realize I am super late to this thread and I admit I will never own one of these bikes.

My simple question is: Why would you buy a Royal Enfield over a Suzuki DR650 or Kawasaki KLR650?
  7. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because I simply don’t like either of those bikes. I owned an xr400 at the time I bought the himma.
    mb8 likes this.
  8. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Character, Style, Cost, Weight, and an appeal that draws comments and question everywhere my wife (has her own Himmie) and I go.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a Dr, great bike, but I’m short, fat and old and got tired of crawling up on those bikes. I also considered an XT250. Just liked the old school vibe of the Himma
    mb8 and Richarde1605 like this.
  10. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Simple, price, looks and the lack of a carburetor, 2 year unlimited mileage warranty is a plus as well.
    Bradster49 and mb8 like this.
  11. mr tea

mr tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the Himma in for a service this morning. Only problems i thought was an oil leak somewhere near the top of the engine and noisy tappets. The leak turned out to be a missing gasket/seal in the tappet inspection plate. Sorted. Tappets checked and within spec. Turns out there is a problem within the engine. The mechanic took it for a test ride and said it sounded like really out of adjusted tappets but louder. They have to strip the engine down to find the fault and claim under warranty. The dealer has already started to strip her down but i will be without the bike for around 2 weeks. If this happened in the Summer i would be really pithed off but as it's forecasted rain for the next 2 weeks am not too put out. No good screaming and shouting at the dealer as i would only ruin the friendship i have with the staff and would just wind me up at the same time.
    My old secondhand BS3 was a lot quieter than my new BS4 but had to sale the 3 due to very high millage and getting a bit rough around the edges. Still, have the Tiger in the garage if it brightens up.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. mr tea

mr tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike has loads character, unlike Jap bikes. The purchase price, service costs, comfortable adventure bike for us shorties. 2 year warranty. What else do you need?. One thought why the post if you would never buy the bike. Your post is a bit pointless really as you've made your mind up already.
    Bradster49, Bojer, mb8 and 3 others like this.
  13. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 words.......seat height!
    mb8 and CDRODA396 like this.
  14. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of seat height. I'm having trouble deciding between the regular and tall. I don't mind the stock seat other than the forward slope, and being able to plant both feet is nice. Anyone have the seat concept standard, and was it a noticable upgrade over the original? Or do you wish you had gone with the tall. I was also thinking about the original for the ability to put a cool cover on it in the summer.
  15. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for sure an upgrade over the stock seat. It's wider, firmer and allows to sit further back the way it's shaped. I am 6'4" 33" inseam and now can ride my wife's Hima with the SC standard seat without any issues (i would have chosen the tall though) whereas i felt cramped with the standard seat and my knees would hit the tank guards.
  16. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loadtoad101 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It’d Have to be after the warranty runs out for me. I wonder what that would bump the compression ratio up to.
    I haven’t really decided if I need morqe power out not. More would be nice, but then I think I might miss out on some stuff that way by just blowing past it quicker.
  18. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Update on my Corbin foam DIY seat.
    Ended up trimming it down a bit at the sides for my stumpy little legs and cover turned out really nice... seat 1.jpg seat 3.jpg
    seat 4.jpg

Ended up trimming the rear seat back by 15mm - you now sit further back than the standard seat... much more comfortable... Sort of followed the genuine Corbin dual seat lines .
    The seat cover need to bed in a bit as the foam is much more dished than the photos show

Also just fitted the Givi SR9050 rack/support plate for the Himmi - The thing weighs 2.7kg... as top plate is steel not ali... - The install instrucsions are easily found on the Givi website.
    Givi 1.jpg
    Givi 2.jpg
    Givi 4.jpg
    givi 6.jpg
    Givi 7.jpg

Whole thing took about 20 min to fit but will re-do with stainless bolts of the right lenght as all but two seem 5/10mm to long. MAybe the top plate has to be steel for support - it has "6kg Max" in several languages on it.... but will keep an eye out for a used aluminium plate on Ebay and just drill out any extra holes needed.

I have an old white Givi E45 top box that I intend to bolt to the plate rather than use quick release as it is well worn after bouncing around on various bikes over the last 20 odd years. hardest bit will be trying to get it clean n shiny as the rest of the bike...
    Happy Trails Folks
    fe2cruz, Loadtoad101, mb8 and 3 others like this.
  19. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:

I don’t see any reason as to why the plate would have to be steel.
    The 6kg Max is probably due to how it would change the handling of the bike having more weight up high and far back.
    When I had Henry Crew with his desert sled, over I was talking to him about his luggage and such, he was saying the first setup had more weight then what they rack said to have it made the bike terrible to drive. So he had to move all his stuff around to change the loading.
    There no luggage on in this photo, other then the stuff on the rear rack and that’s the only things he kept up there. Other then that it was the back seat or his soft bags.
    8F98A044-31E5-4AE1-B321-A4D4049D88A8.jpeg

I like your seat, did you just reuse the stock cover?
    On a side note, I have a spare foam and cover if anyone wants it for some reason. I’m in Houston but I could ship it at someone’s expense if they wanted it.
  20. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The seat is larger than stock so did not use the original cover but managed to find a vinyl that looks simalar to stock cover - no idea on name/type for it I'm afraid. I have a "foam" shop about a mile from where I live and he stocks alll sorts of vinyl. Will see if I can find any info for you on brand/type etc next week. Paul