Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After going for a 150-mile ride with winds of 25-30 sustained plus gusts up to... ?? mph, let me add:

11. This bike ignores crosswinds like no bike I’ve ever owned. If I had been on my KLR or my GS, the day would have been a wrestling match with the handlebars, and an exercise in caution to avoid being blown over at stops. Heck, even my long, low, heavy Road King would have been swerving around a fair amount. On the Himma, the wind did little more than push a few snots back up my nose (what I get for insisting on wearing an open face helmet). Sure, it slowed down a bit, but it still held 65 straight into the wind. Good enough!
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Talking about wind. Taking my bike to its service on Friday the wind was pretty strong. Where i live the area it's known for it. Riding between the open fields the side winds were so strong it blew me to the other side of the road and i nearly had my knee down going straight. Causes could have been i had the panniers fitted and my body isn't very aerodynamic. The main thing was the bike didn't feel out of control, i didn't have to struggle with it unlike my Tiger 1050 where i would have ended up with the cabbages.

Personally i do not like Pirrelli bike tyres but the MT60 acted impeccably in the wet displaying no bum twitching moments around the corners.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my Himma with 16,195 miles. Recent issue developed with slapping sound when cold. I will be taking it to the dealer this week. For those that have had the head gasket replaced, is this what you heard? The valves are properly adjusted.
  4. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't call that a slapping sound. Sounds very much like a leaking exhaust gasket or a loose spark plug - or the head gasket. Shouldn't be too difficult to find out where it's leaking.
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Does sound like a head gasket or exhaust blow
  6. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Got down close with camera, obvious blown head gasket
    fe2cruz likes this.
  7. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr Tea, what dealer are using for service? I have not been that impressed with my nearest dealer so wondered about finding another. I live in Surrey. Bob
  8. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah thats what mine sounded like when it was the head gasket
  9. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Similar mileage as well correct?
  10. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are DrySpec D20 Drybag Saddle Bags. She originally wanted soft bags and these have an inner stiffener that keeps them in shape even with empty. She liked the throw them over the seat ease for futzin around town, but has gone to RE hard Panniers for over night or more trips.
  11. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    CWM Chichester West Sussex. Been there since 1947. I have found them very good. They are not just interested in selling you bikes but care about you and your bike after as well. I asked them on Friday about fitting a power commander along with a few other parts. They said as long as they fit them there would be no problem with the warranty. Now in the past ive more or less asked the same to other dealers(Yam/Honda/Kawa and Triumph) and they have all said the warranty would be invalid.
  12. MitchMan

MitchMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a 'good quality' (i.e not scanned) PDF version of the Himalayan BS IV Workshop/Service Manual yet?

Many Thanks in Advance.

MitchMan
  13. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it was about 11,000 miles when I first noticed it, a few days before the bike was freighted across to the US. The bike did that trip and then was fixed after.
  14. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan, do you know if the head was warped at all? Did they have to mill it, or just a new Gasket?
  15. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

With the riding season coming to a close at least the timing isn't terrible and the fact that it happened under warranty.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  16. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I have to agree to most of what he wrote honestly I would never consider this bike did I live in the west. Why?
    Its just too darn expensive to maintain it. Sounds funny in the light of what Mr. Mudd writes but here is my bill for the 30,000 km revision.
    Now in INDIA this amounts, converted to Euros, to peanuts. But did I have to pay a German mechanic and the prices RE asks for spares in Germany I'd rather sell the bike on ebay :-)

Look for yourself and one more thing: The central shock had already been changed at 15.000km or else it would be on the list too, and the swingarm is no. 3 due to the fact that one can not get the bearings separately (The arm is ok, the bearing is worn). The chain assy has been changed 8000km before so its also not on this list. (On top of all of this is a new frame but thats on RE, extended warranty).

20191014_070659.jpg

20191014_070715.jpg
    mb8 likes this.
  17. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why was the complete fork replaced? Looks like the swing arm bearings and seals are available separately, at least they are listed as separate parts.
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My simple question is: Why would you buy a Royal Enfield over a Suzuki DR650 or Kawasaki KLR650?

These are a very different bikes aimed at in the most part different people. Someone that appreciates real value and an old school outlook, my friend has one and we constantly swap bikes on a run, they are a great bike to bumble along, comfortable and sidetrack off road whenever you feel like it. My friends looks the business when loaded up, there are some great options out there as regards panniers and stuff for touring as well at very reasonable prices. Servicing intervals are the only slight drawback but that is really no big issue and after the warranty they are so simple anyone can pretty much handle that, you cannot say that much about most new bikes at least to a large extent. They don't pull your arms out of your sockets when accelerating but they really are an enjoyable ride and to me plenty fast enough. Better still then the 650 comes out which I am sure it will soon enough.
  19. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strange how Itchy Boots did 36 000km with only clutch plates (which she burnt in heavy mud), chain/sprockets and a few other small things replaced?

Maybe her riding style suits the bike. Many Himmas in the west will be ridden as she does and should last a long time.
  20. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the fork is just the springs and the dampers
    and no, the bearings are not seperately available, at least not here in india. those listed are different