Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. gsborn

gsborn n00b

Oddometer:
    Are there others who are experiencing uneven lengthen chain, original chain after 14000 km ?
    I did and changed it to this JT CHAIN 525X1R/110 OPEN CHAIN WITH RIVET LINK and happily some of the chain noises and klunk's are disappeared.
    I have a chain oiler.
  2. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced my chain also, at 13,000 miles. When they get old some of the links get frozen up and you will have lots of chain noises and "klunks". When my old chain was pulled off, I held it at one end and let it dangle. Instead of hanging straight down, it was all crooked. That was because some of the links were stuck! You can imagine what that would do while going around your sprockets.
    fe2cruz likes this.
  3. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both the Harley and BMW burned through rear pads like potato chips. I was surprised by this, as I am the type that prefers to use the rear brake for little more than keeping the back wheel behind the front (and the GS had "linked" brakes, so I rarely even touched the back-brake pedal on that bike), but was assured by multiple sources that both bikes are known for going through rear pads in 20K or so miles. Go figure.

One possible explanation is that I live on the boundary between suburbs and country, and so I can actually go a fair distance (measured in miles, and sometimes in tens of miles, and occasionally in hundreds of miles) without stopping. And in light traffic, I'm prone to use compression rather than brake linings when I need to drop some velocity.

Of course, if you're unhappy with the performance of the stock front brakes (many people seem to think they require excessive effort, though as a Harley owner I think they're pretty much average), this could be an excuse to install the higher-performance pads listed in the maintenance/hacks thread (I think they're from the back of a KTM or something).

Fun fact: Space Shuttle brake linings were single-use, at least up through the Challenger explosion (they might have upgraded while the system was down for booster re-design). Seems that as soon as the pilot applied the brakes, the linings would shatter and de-bond. They'd stay in place as long as the pilot kept the pressure on, so the ritual was apply the brakes, keep them on until the orbiter was stopped, then listen to the pieces of brake lining falling out onto the runway...
    sam2019 and Coopdway like this.
  4. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:

I’m on chain 3 after 20,000 (22k?) some odd miles.
    The first one stretched out till it was too loose for the adjusters on my last trip.
    The second one broke and piled up inside the covered area and stalled the engine. It broke my chain guard, tool tube cover and took a few chunks of aluminum out of the side cover for the engine. I checked and adjusted the chain the same day it broke about 400 miles before or so. None of the links were binded up or had play. Just one side of half the master link was there the rest was missing. I don’t know if the plate clip came off or what cause none of it was found. I walked up and down the highway looking so no one would get a flat from it.
    I carry a spare chain on trips so not a huge issue.

I think it might have something to do with the extreme cold and heat cycles the space ship gets vs our bikes will never see.

I’m somewheres over 20,000 miles (dash replaced and don’t remember the exact mileage) I’m pretty much due for front and rear brakes both. I try to use both brakes all the time, the rear ends up being Morse code some times but oh well.
    I never found, the front brake lacking or needing too much presser. It’s a fairly progressive brake, I only 2 finger ever unless it’s an emergency stop, which i have gotten the front tire to start chipping a couple times braking hard. Is it as good as 6 piston dual caliber brakes that you can do stoppers with one finger, no not at all but then again this isn’t that kinda bike.

These are what I ordered, my bike is at the dealers probably for another couple weeks again so I can’t how they are. But I think these are the ones that are needed.

0946C6BB-DAFD-480A-8613-5206ED07DB62.png
  5. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My chain has 14000kms on now and the adjusters are pretty much where in the middle of their travel. I have noticed no wear in chain or sprockets. I have the Tutoro oiler with the double nozzle and checks weekly to see if the chain is wet both sides.
    I've used Tutoro oil , 75W90 gear oil and old engine oil with no issues.

One thing I did notice was that the master link had no grease in, so I would advise people to check it and be careful not to lose the master-link o-rings. Pretty easy to do.
    MrDralas likes this.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    1. Because the bikes center of gravity is somewheres between my ankles.
    2. Despite the ground clearance the seat height is low enough to flat foot duck walk the bike through bad patches.
    3. The torque and horsepower are all tractable.
    4. It's soooooooo smooth it makes butter wish it were that smooth.
    5. The bikes do what is says right on the box.
    6. Ergonomics are good.
    7. Brembo, Denso, Keihin etc. are component suppliers to Enfield.
    8. Harris Performance forgot more about building bikes than I could learn in two lifetimes.
    9. Parts are affordable and they are owner maintainable.
    10. They are simple rugged reliable uncomplicated pure motorcycles. More simple than the honorable and venerable KLR even.

P.S.
    The aftermarket for them is pretty dang good and the price of the bike and the prices of the farkles are amazingly affordable.
  7. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After going for a 150-mile ride with winds of 25-30 sustained plus gusts up to... ?? mph, let me add:

11. This bike ignores crosswinds like no bike I’ve ever owned. If I had been on my KLR or my GS, the day would have been a wrestling match with the handlebars, and an exercise in caution to avoid being blown over at stops. Heck, even my long, low, heavy Road King would have been swerving around a fair amount. On the Himma, the wind did little more than push a few snots back up my nose (what I get for insisting on wearing an open face helmet). Sure, it slowed down a bit, but it still held 65 straight into the wind. Good enough!
  8. mr tea

mr tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talking about wind. Taking my bike to its service on Friday the wind was pretty strong. Where i live the area it's known for it. Riding between the open fields the side winds were so strong it blew me to the other side of the road and i nearly had my knee down going straight. Causes could have been i had the panniers fitted and my body isn't very aerodynamic. The main thing was the bike didn't feel out of control, i didn't have to struggle with it unlike my Tiger 1050 where i would have ended up with the cabbages.

Personally i do not like Pirrelli bike tyres but the MT60 acted impeccably in the wet displaying no bum twitching moments around the corners.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Here is my Himma with 16,195 miles. Recent issue developed with slapping sound when cold. I will be taking it to the dealer this week. For those that have had the head gasket replaced, is this what you heard? The valves are properly adjusted.
  10. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't call that a slapping sound. Sounds very much like a leaking exhaust gasket or a loose spark plug - or the head gasket. Shouldn't be too difficult to find out where it's leaking.
    mr tea likes this.
  11. mr tea

mr tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does sound like a head gasket or exhaust blow
  12. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Got down close with camera, obvious blown head gasket
    fe2cruz likes this.
  13. oldgsbob

oldgsbob Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mr Tea, what dealer are using for service? I have not been that impressed with my nearest dealer so wondered about finding another. I live in Surrey. Bob
  14. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah thats what mine sounded like when it was the head gasket
  15. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    Similar mileage as well correct?
  16. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are DrySpec D20 Drybag Saddle Bags. She originally wanted soft bags and these have an inner stiffener that keeps them in shape even with empty. She liked the throw them over the seat ease for futzin around town, but has gone to RE hard Panniers for over night or more trips.
  17. mr tea

mr tea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CWM Chichester West Sussex. Been there since 1947. I have found them very good. They are not just interested in selling you bikes but care about you and your bike after as well. I asked them on Friday about fitting a power commander along with a few other parts. They said as long as they fit them there would be no problem with the warranty. Now in the past ive more or less asked the same to other dealers(Yam/Honda/Kawa and Triumph) and they have all said the warranty would be invalid.
  18. MitchMan

MitchMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a 'good quality' (i.e not scanned) PDF version of the Himalayan BS IV Workshop/Service Manual yet?

Many Thanks in Advance.

MitchMan
  19. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it was about 11,000 miles when I first noticed it, a few days before the bike was freighted across to the US. The bike did that trip and then was fixed after.
  20. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan, do you know if the head was warped at all? Did they have to mill it, or just a new Gasket?