Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I adhered to the break-in directions... religiously! Just about KILLED ME to do it, but I was planning a long Mexico trip and was worried about problems on the trip. And yet... at 8000 miles the engine quit. Piston chipped, cylinder ovaled, wrist-pin bearing froze... required a full engine replacement. Hmmm...

I still love the bike!
    Matt TwoTired likes this.
  2. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plugged some numbers into this calculator and got 78 watts for accessories. I assigned only about 8 watts for taillight and tag light. I also think the 50, 60 and 25 watts the calculator assigns for ignition, fuel pump and computer are over-estimates, given the Himalayan is a fuel sipping single with a very simple injection system.

Anyway, my electric vest is only 48 watts, so even using the calculator’s values for engine systems, I have 30 watts left over. Don’t think I’d run the vest and electric grips at the same time, though. I also make a point of not turning the vest on till I’ve ridden a few miles after starting.
  3. LHRider

LHRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks. Not many people have commented on or tried all 4.
  4. tumblingdice

tumblingdice Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about the blow-up pad that you strap on the seat that is in the add-on's pages? Someone must have liked it.
  5. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone that has stored their Himma over the winter found mice nests/droppings/evidence in the spring? Wondering exactly where these nests might have been so i can take evasive maneuvers now. One spring I found a nest in my airbox chamber on my Goldwing. They munched on the paper air filter over the winter. Since then I always remove the filter and plug the intake holes. I generally see droppings on the engine in the spring. Mothballs never worked for me. I also garage my bike.

On the Himma, if you turn the airfilter assembly around, it essentially seals off that area.

So.... has anyone with a Himma found mice evidence this past spring?
  6. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    I keep a good supply of rat poison and mouse stickers in my garage in the mountains of Western North Carolina to control the mice population. Works for me.
  7. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anything that eats a poisoned mouse/rat will also get poisoned. Keep that in mind when setting out your poison.
    JustMikey, Burcotbiker and Bojer like this.
  8. GeoMoto

GeoMoto Head Flying Monkey Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hardest Trail I have ever ridden on my Himalayan.
    Bent Shifter, Bent Rear Brake, Broken Right Turn Signal, a few scratches and a hell of a good time!
    Matt TwoTired, mr tea, lipsee and 4 others like this.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found a site that had a wattage estimator...didn't help me much. Seemed the bike would have 0 extra watts according to the calculator. With this discussion I double checked my heated jacket liner and it is 90 watts. I still think I'm going to look into 7v battery powered liners/gloves and just recharge them.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just read a good thread on revzilla that is attached to a video on heated gear installation. One question was about running heated gear on a CRFL 250 which produces 337 watts. The revzilla guy replied that that is not enough watts.
  11. millman84

Oddometer:
    Just because he works for Revzilla doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about. 337 watts is a respectable output for a 650cc much less a a 250cc. You might be able to run a full heated suite on what the CRFL has left over.

Your 90w liner is probably a little much for a stock Hima but switch out the headlight and taillight for LEDs and it might be ok.

The best way to find out if the Hima has enough output to do what you want is to hook up a volt meter and your heated gear to it. If your volt meter drops below 13v then the Hima does not have enough to do what you want. You don't have to even leave the driveway to do this.
  12. millman84

Oddometer:
    @GeoMoto You put out some of my favorite vids. I also think you are a little off in the head trying to take the Hima up that hill. Thanks for posting that.

Any word on the Himalayan spring fling v2.0 yet.
    mr tea and GeoMoto like this.
  13. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    My thoughts as well. I have often "advised" my friends (usually unsuccessfully) to simply buy what they want from the start instead of trying to modify a lesser machine.

Now FARKLES! That's another thing all together!
  14. GeoMoto

GeoMoto Head Flying Monkey Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL. Thanks! I haven't set a date yet. I am considering moving the location each year. Death Valley or Mojave this Spring. What do you think?
    mr tea likes this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    I put ZANA guards on mine. Same problem. I simply detached the oil cooler from the frame, completed the guard installation, then re-attached the oil cooler. Easy-peasy!
  16. Limey 1

Limey 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    . 337 watts is a respectable output for a 650cc much less a a 250cc. You might be able to run a full heated suite on what the CRFL has left over.
    .[/QUOTE] I have been running my California Heat Electric jacket and Nuvi GPS on my CRF 250L for 3 seasons and have never had any issues..Dont think there would be a problem with your Himma
  17. Steve Rice

Steve Rice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird, just missed a call and Google tells me it's royal enfield. They didn't leave a message.:hide
  18. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Great pics! My wife and I love the mexican/south american culture and clothes. Now we have a new destination to visit!
    rpiereck likes this.
  19. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Truthfully I agree with you. But don't you know that in the USA, bigger is always better? We just aren't happy with things as they are. We know how to make them better, so we do. :jack
    mr tea likes this.
  20. Tomocan

Tomocan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the same setup with the high fender off. Only, issue I have had is if riding through a lot of mud the headlight gets covered in mud.