Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm I tried using that one but neither a 7mm or 6mm would turn it on the top side and with the pliers it just spun the cable in place. Played hell getting a 12mm in there to loosen the bottom nut as well.. I feel like I'm missing something :lol3

Odd this isn't in the service manual anywhere
  2. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have all the WarmSafe elleccy kit,,I do,nt actually use that much mainly on my 1200 RT.. But I did think about useing it on the Him,,and its maybe capable of doing it..but I would not,,it would (in my opinion) put too much strain on the battery and charging system... So when I purchased a Starter battery I got one with the ability to use as a plug in battery as well as a jump starter,,it was not cheap .. I,v successfully plugged it in and yeah it works,,, not been for a ride and who know how long the battery would last ,,but if you are out in brass monkey weather who cares,, the battery is the Noco GB70 2000w,, regards
  3. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter has a Suzuki TU250 which is lighter and has a lower seat hight so I think the tu is less intimidating for a beginner.
  4. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing you meant to quote this guy.
    tastroman likes this.
  5. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    No1. Have you got an ABS rings on the wheel hubs?. Disc side. Some countries are only just getting ABS as standard.

No3. I had the same oil around the cam cover. It turned out to be that a rubber seal on the rear tappet cover was missing. This will be covered by the warranty.
    The warranty is for the bike, not the owner.
  6. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    As said that is the throttle cable. Having just had my tank off mine. It is run along the frame as yours does.
  7. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How was the Seat Concepts “low” (which, if I recall, is same height as stock)? Asking for a friend, who accompanied me on the 3-days-in-Montana “demo ride” rental last summer. He loves the bike, thinking about getting one, but hates the stock seat because it slides you forward into the gas tank. He sat on my Seat Concepts tall yesterday and liked it, but is a bit tippy-toes; something an inch lower would probably suit him better. Does the SC low provide a flat surface?
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So yesterday I signed off with...
    Went for a pretty nice ride. Only 45 miles, out to Sycamore for wood-fired pizza with a friend. While my Aerostich electric vest kept my core nice and warm, my fingers were getting pretty frozen, even in heavy gloves. What’s funny is how warm everything except my fingers felt on this 38° day, despite the Himalayan’s dinky windscreen. Gonna have to order a set of heated grips, or gloves, or face reality and start riding the Harley!

Pulled onto a couple gravel farm roads. Says something about our early winter that there’s snow on the ground and the corn is still un-harvested.

8817D671-2FBB-4AB7-82F9-6940AB1C7706.jpeg

090EC3B3-ECD5-4B6F-BCC0-47CE153D6D48.jpeg

The gravel roads were getting interesting, with patches of snow and ice that weren’t always easy to spot. There was usually a dry or loose gravel path on at least part of the road, but for a couple hundred yards it was snow and ice all the way across. Just relax and let the bike slip sideways, I tell myself, Isaac Newton will keep you upright if you don’t mess with the gyroscopes. Much easier said than done!

Ah well. Nice ride overall. Rain and slush coming today (sigh)...
    Eatmore Mudd, PullingG's and Doctor T like this.
  9. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    There are 2 big nuts on each side of the cable bracket. They are the same size. These are what you use to adjust. You have to take off the tank to see them properly. Do not mess with the part you have circled in red! Is yours EFI or Carb. My directions are for EFI.

screww.jpg
    justinope likes this.
  10. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I believe that my bike has ABS. The dealer tells me that his full consignment of 2019 models arrived without the ABS dash light, but that RE diagnostics recognizes that the ABS system is present and working. I will take the bike out and test it (try to lock the rear wheel in a parking lot) and see if ABS kicks in.

Thanks for the info on the rubber seal. I will take it in and hopefully get them to do a valve check while they have it apart under warranty.
    Doctor T likes this.
  11. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh weird mine must be different then for some reason, heres what mine looks like on the top side from above, definitely not the same size nut for me- cable "collar" just sits flat against the bracket and is circular:

topbracket.JPG

I guess if nothing else its already the tightest it goes? :lol3
  12. 47025

47025 I just have to ride

Oddometer:
    There has to be an adjustment somewhere else. It is either up at the bars or in the cable somewhere. Make sure it isn't under a boot somewhere. I've seen on some bikes an adjustment screw in the twist grip body area. If it is a carb model it could have an adjustment in the linkage at the carb.
    Good Luck
    Doctor T likes this.
  13. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I definitely can and have adjusted it up by the throttle tube / assembly but was hoping to understand where to do it on the throttle body like others talked about in the thread. Appreciate the guidance though regardless!
  14. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just look for a silver ring plate with lines stamped out around it. The ring can be found where the front brake disc bolts to the wheel hub. The ring can also be found on the rear disc as well. Also on the ABS model on each side of the frame backbone just where the front of the fuel tank ends you will see braided brake lines. On Non-ABS only one brake line will be seen. One other place to look IRC ABS front calibre has two brake pipe unions where Non-ABS has only one brake pipe on the calibre.
  15. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    Yes, mine has the rings and sensors. It also has what looks like an ABS controller behind the right side cover, behind the rear master cylinder and above the rear brake actuator. However, the front brake caliper has only one brake line.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Then you should have an ABS tell tell lamp on the dash. Have you a picture of the clocks you can post?
  17. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    Please see attached. Also, I included a picture of my license plate light, which is not attached in any way to the base/lense -- it just sits loose on the base.

clocks1.jpg plate_light.jpg
  18. SaskBrad

SaskBrad Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my bike new from a dealer in Calgary in August. Here's my dash, which shows the ABS light at the bottom of the column of indicators. I note that your speedo is mainly in km/hr, while mine is in mph. I sure would prefer to be in km/hr, but my car also has mph because I imported it from the US in 2014. So I can live with it.

2019-11-17 20.22.03.jpg

I didn't examine my light on the back very closely, but there have been no signs of it being loose.

It was above freezing today, but we've had a bunch of snow and been down to minus 26C over the last few weeks. (That +10C temp on the bike is the temp inside my garage.) So I'm shut down for the winter. Costs me $134 per month to insure my bike, so no point spending that until spring (April), when I know I'll have more riding days than not. Instead of the other way around.

I still laugh at the compass. My bike is parked facing north, so this means that East is to the right of the bike.

Brad in Saskatchewan
  19. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch!! That's a very steep premium, but you really should think about keeping comprehensive coverage on your bike while it's hibernating.
  20. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    I've been having a blast with the Himalayan and have been taking it off road more and more. I have never been comfortable riding on sand, like most riders, but this bike is changing that. Riding on sand is fun with this bike! On this video I took the bike to this place called "The Wall", where the Rio Grande Valley meets the desert, it is quite a sandy patch, but the Himalayan did fairly well.

Edit:
    This one from today, going down a sandy road that paralleled the rail road, only to find out the road leads nowhere.