Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, this guy in India even made a video describing the process to reset the service reminder:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Freedom Baba

Freedom Baba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon.

Just got back from Royal Enfield Manali.

First service carried out at 475kms. First they made me tea. I had full access to the workshop so I could see what the mechanic was doing. They are very transparent which is good.
    Mechanic sorted out issue with horn. Turned out to be a loose connection.
    Usual oil and filter change. Cleaned air filter. Checked nuts and bolts, tire pressures. Cleaned and lubed chain. Adjusted headlight. Removed sari guard. Cleaned and checked plug bla bla. All for 875 rupees. About ten British pounds. Labour is free for first four services :)

Normally they wash but the bike first but there is a water shortage here so she remains muddy.

I tipped the mechanic 500 rupees.

I now have riding jacket, trousers gloves and helmet. Still waiting for boots. Soft luggage has arrived from Viaterra. A tool kit is being amassed. Still need the registration document which should be ready in a few days.

The Himalayas await. Hopefully I will be off in a week to ten days.
    20180528_102830.jpg
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I hope they open a dealership near me.
    Freedom Baba and Richarde1605 like this.
  4. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if you can force the compass into calibration mode? Mine is, for the most part, horribly inaccurate. Even at a standstill or on a smooth road it will read up to 90 degrees off.

That said, I've got 160 miles on the bike now and wish I could find some way to make the break in go faster! This bike is incredibly poised on road given that it has such good capabilities off-road (keep in mind I've only been up to 40 mph). Granted this is my first foray into mild off-roading, but the Himalayan inspires confidence and I feel like it will make a quick study of anyone wanting to traverse gravel, dirt, and mud that hasn't tried before. I've been 3 years off a bike until now, and I have to say I really believe Royal Enfield has made something special. Nothing makes me concerned about reliability overall, but there are quirks and oddities that are entirely acceptable given the price point of the bike. I will gladly work through any sub-par components or assembly to continue riding this machine. It is just well put-together and at the end of the day no part about it feels like a compromise.
  5. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They suggest that you ride the bike in a figure 8 pattern, having said that mine occasionally throws a wobbly. I am not concerned as I see it more as a novelty feature, there are more reliable methods...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  6. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s where I’m at. GPS is always on and it’s pretty good at direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very true. I guess I was just wondering if there was a way to force calibration as I rode around in circles a couple times in a parking lot and never got the "CA" to pop up in the compass. Oh well! As stated there are definitely more reliable methods. I just hope the fuel gauge is more accurate than the compass!
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Mines been good so far but then again I aint been in any HERTA ( High Energy Radio Transmission Area) zones or had any ferrous or magnetics near it either.

Lester Harris & Co. did a bang up job with design and development of this one IMHO.
    Those guys are famous for all the right reasons but I think his achievement with the farthest reaching effect is putting this bike in the hands of the riding public.

Man I gotta ask what your definition of quirks is ? Are you talking about the blue print design or maybe visual fashions styling ?
    Reason I ask is because mine starts in an instant idles smooth revs runs and rides shifts steers and stops without any niggles hiccups surprises or handling quirks at all.
    JBeK and Richarde1605 like this.
  9. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine takes a few starts with the "choke" engaged to actually stay started. I'm hoping this is a break-in period type of thing and it will be no problem after it's operating smoothly. Also, when I pull it up off the side stand I hear some creaking from the gas tank. Not sure if this is the float for the fuel level sender, or something else in the gas tank, but I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with my difficult starts. Of course, once it's warm and running turning it on and off is no problem at all. It fires right up. The difficulty from cold concerns me for when I'll be moving to a much cooler climate in a couple months here, though. By the way, anyone have any ideas on why this is?

There is also a strange buzzing when I engage the front brake. I think it's just the new pads on the new rotor, but it almost sounds like an electric relay that's a little on the loose side. I say this because it sounds more like it's coming from the control area than from the front wheel. No biggie, really. My brakes work and they work well.

The rest is kind of just fit and finish type things. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the gripes I'm seeing in fit and finish are due to the dealer I got it from. I'm not sure what all they're responsible for installing, but there were a few no-brainer things that really just have to do with attention to detail.

All in all it's really not a big deal. I LOVE this bike, and what a value! Even if I have to buy another bike in components just to fix this one I'd still be happy.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not circles, figure 8's. I haven't bothered it sorts itself out over time...

;-)

11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The buzzing is because the pads sweep over half a hole in the disk

12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I was dual sporting a 1969 Triumph Daytona, stock suspension with very thick oil in the forks and I was shocked
    at how well it did in the rough stuff and sand.
    A low center of gravity and a low seat height makes a bike easy to manage in the dirt.
    Going fast over rough ground is worse (a pounding) but a low center of gravity makes the bike very easy to control in the dirt.
    Helps on the street also.
    I did about 4 years and 40,000 miles on that bike before I got tired of fixing it all the time.
    (I did abuse it badly)

No Enfield dealers around here....

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Whisper Gary

Whisper Gary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Like I said, I'm not too concerned about it. I freakin' love this bike.
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. remzamora

remzamora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is one thing that you can do to force the compass to recalibrate.

However this involves "breaking" your compass and put it out of calibration.

If you're a bit OC as I was on mine, because at one point, the compass was pointing at the opposite direction, I had to find a way. The user manual is of no help.

What I did was to use a magnet and put it closer to the compass to confuse it and force it to recalibrate. It will go on error mode. After that, I recalibrate it by riding figures of 8. It will eventually point to the right direction.

Do at your own risk.

FYI

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
  15. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I may have accidentally forced mine into recalibration.
    I was messing with the mode and select buttons and at one point pressed them both for several seconds to see what it would do.
    It didn't appear to do anything.
    Maybe it was coincidence, or maybe not - but the next time I turned on the ignition the calibration sequence was flashing.
    Eatmore Mudd and JBeK like this.
  16. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    /

Perhaps you have found the sequence... Did you have the ignition off when you pressed and held the mode and select buttons?

Maybe someone else can try to recreate this as well to see if it forces the system to calibrate.

...I do not think that disconnecting the battery overnight will cause the calibration memory to get lost. And certainly the manual is useless on this...

upload_2018-5-29_9-28-25.png

/
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  17. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Ignition was on but engine was not running iirc.
  18. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Found a used 12T pipe bender in nearby town - going to pick it up this week.
    Some 3/4" tubing and a few welds should result in a decent engine guard.
    Might even knock together a pannier frame if the bender can make tight enough bends.
    Doesn't look like these accessories will be available soon, so it's time to visit Ye Olde DIY Shoppe.
  19. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    For all of your Himalayan accessories. I was googling and found this. He also has youtube video of some of the accessories. http://donowyn.com/?v=c86ee0d9d7ed

Price list he emailed me:

1) SADDLE STAYS / PANNIER RACKS
    The Saddle Stays /Pannier Racks that I make are made of Stainless Steel and Powder Coated.
    The Unique feature in them is that they have a Bottom Fold Out.
    I have also added 4 half rings to each stay in order to hook up the bungee cords and secure the bags.
    With this design one can opt for bags of any size.
    They are priced at USD 365 and includes door to door service.

I ship them through DHL/FEDEX.
    (2) CRASH / ENGINE GUARD
    This is a ONE Piece Crash/Engine Guard that is made of Stainless Steel and Powder Coated.
    It is designed to be SHORT ,STRONG and COMPACT.
    (I normally do them is black color,but can try and do it in orange as a special case)
    It is priced at USD 375 and includes door to door service.

(3) TAIL RACK
    This Heavy Duty product has been designed to take on weight as the stock tail tack is known to break with weight.
    The New Tail Rack,comes with a Top Plate and a Back Rest with Cushion for the Pillion.
    The Entire product is made of Stainless Steel and Powder Coated.
    It has been designed to be slightly Wider,Longer and Taller,in the process giving the Bike a Bigger Profile.
    It is priced at USD 415 and includes door to door service.

(4) KNUCKLE GUARDS
    These are ALL METAL Knuckle Guards,which fit onto the Stock Handle with no changes to the handle or Visor position.

It is designed to be STRONG and LIGHT and is made with a combination of IRON Bars & ALUMINIUM Bash Plates.

They are Powder Coated and come in two colors Matt Black & Matt White.
    It is priced at USD 185

and includes door to door service.
    (5)MOUNTING ROD for AUX LIGHTS.

The Mounting Rod for Aux Lights is a Unique Product and is made of Stainless Steel & Powder Coated. Its a direct fit.

It is priced at USD 125 and it includes door to door service.
    However if you order ANY TWO PRODUCTS,i will give you for FREEthe Mounting Rod.
    Kindly note this is a Special Introductory price for USA & SOUTH / CENTRAL American Country's.
    Hoping to hear from you ASAP.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Dangar Stu is an inmate here, has a couple YouTube channels. He did a video on his Donowyn Rodricks bag supports. Good stuff.
    voodoochilled likes this.