1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. jerry46

jerry46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Argentina and all going well with you and Himmy. How do you ship your motor by plane or boat?
    Jetlag Jon likes this.
  2. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope that they did check for warpage but I wouldn't bet the farm on it! :( I will be keeping a close eye on it.
  3. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Do you find there is less buffering with the screen extension fitted?
  4. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes--------worked out well. And keeps the cold air out of my face a lot better.
    I've got the same extension on 2 other bikes of mine----CB500X and Honda 250 Rally.
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a large variation in price, but it may not be the sizing. For the front, my ITL tube was $12 and the Kenda tube was almost $30. But, the Kenda tube is far heavier with thicker rubber, so they are not all created equal. I plan on installing the Kenda tube immediately and carrying the ITL tube as a spare (it takes up less room and is lighter).
  6. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    It can be out .01mm, it’s not like it’s. Avery big area to get out of shape. If it fails again then you know something’s up and hopefully it’s within the warranty period. It’s weird the amount of them with higher mileage that seem to leak but I never had a problems with my head gasket.
    91630155-1E09-4B35-AC94-17F54A7558D1.png
    Bradster49 likes this.
  7. MrDralas

MrDralas Super n00b

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen them made of plastic before, they are just keepers so they don’t really have to be all that strong.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  8. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. gacollier

gacollier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it. Will give it a close look and cleaning this afternoon. I only used dish soap for lubricant on the tire.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    What screen extension is that? Wunderlich?
  11. Grafspee

Grafspee one bike is never enough

Oddometer:
    My bike and some old coot by the side of the road

35B38210-E099-4AF7-B138-D309C6880F57.jpeg
    The best thing about the RE is the motor! Smooth and nice torque down low makes powering out of a slow tight turn such a joy.
    Reminds me of my 1983 R80 in a series of tight turns just put it in 3rd gear and roll off and on the throttle - and SMILE!
    Bojer, Doctor T, fe2cruz and 3 others like this.
  12. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Found ours on either eBay or Amazon for not much. Mrs. Mudd broke hers so I gave her mine. On my Himalayan it worked as advertised up to 65 mph. Above that it made the windshield vibrate. Intensity went up with speed. YMMV.
  13. Cyber;Bird

Cyber;Bird Moto-Birder

Oddometer:
    As one last update, about my friend and her new Himalayan. She watched many videos, including those great ones you shared here, read some articles...
    We tried to do some practice on a safe closed area. A few slow speed stopping and trying to hold the bike... But the bike was overwhelming in the end :/
    This time she didn't drop the bike only because she had help to hold the bike as we saw an incoming fall. Her confidence with this bike will only fall if she keeps trying.

So, the sad ending for this story is that she'll sell it (it's so new and shiny! T.T)
    But this sad decision is also the safest one I think. She'll go for a smaller bike, but that cuts off all dual-sports being sold here in Chile, so probably it'll be an urban naked bike (150-200cc). Not the optimal for some unpaved roads, but having two (safe and comfortable) wheels will be a great joy I think!
    Maybe on some years she'll have developed the skills to try a taller or heavier bike :)

Thanks for all your support!
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before the Himalayan, RE Bullets, etc. were making those trips up into those high mountains. At the correct pace, any small bike will do and you can always upgrade the suspension, change the tires, and put on a skid plate.
  16. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A Kawasaki Super Sherpa would be a decent ride for her, About same seat height, decent suspension travel and a whole lot lighter.
    clfarren5944 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you try modifying the suspension links? And raising the forks? I fabricated new links to raise my bike but they could also be used to lower the rear suspension (and then just raise the forks in the triple tree). You would need to shorten the kickstand but that is also pretty easy.

IMG_20190119_190010.jpg

Regards,

Ken
  18. clfarren5944

clfarren5944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious, does anyone know how accurate the speedometer is on the Himma? Most bikes I've had were horribly inaccurate, mainly Japanese, but this is my first Indian bike.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The Bullet is the single most common bike at Khardung La.
  20. azccj

azccj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The REH has the most accurate speedometer of any bike I've owned. It's 1 mph or less off the actual speed measured by GPS. On my BMW R1150RT I have a certified speedometer just like those used on law enforcement bikes and it's 2 mph off. The standard R1150RT speedo is 10% off.
    clfarren5944 likes this.