Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I like it too, but... it hasn't been updated in a long time. I sent them a request to add the Himalayan at least a year ago and it still hasn't shown up.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it normal for the check engine light to come on and stay on (for a couple of start/off cycles) after the battery has been disconnected? I had the battery out while I installed heated grips and moved the ambient temp sensor up front. I also installed an LED headlight bulb. Had the fuel tank off too. After about three restarts, the check engine light went out as normal and has not stayed on since.
  3. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i didn't experience that when i swapped batteries. Did you switch it on while the temp sensor was disconnected? That might throw a temporary error.
  4. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I didn't. I did hook the battery back up while the temp sensor was disconnected, though. Also the fuel tank was still off, but I did not turn on the ignition.

Edit: actually, I am lying. I did turn on the ignition to reset the clock before the tank was reinstalled. That was probably it.
  5. Cyber;Bird

Cyber;Bird Moto-Birder

Oddometer:
    How much would you recommend to extend the links to have the lowest setting? Considering that the forks were lowered something like 1" (just below the handlebars).
    Obviously not trying to make the bike excessively low, trying to balance with the front and not affecting handling very much.
    It won't be used for off-roading big rocks of course, so ground clearance compromise won't be a big problem I think.
  6. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, that will throw an error that will clear after cycling the ignition on and off three times. Many of us have been there...
  7. RossoLinea

RossoLinea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You want to balance front and rear to keep the geometry correct. If the bike is currently set up with only a dropped front, it will be very unstable.

If you can wait until this weekend, I can take some measurements on my bike and give you a close overall length of the links to match the current front fork setting.

Just remember that this change will not only reduce seat height and ground clearance, but also total suspension travel.

Regards,

Ken
    Doctor T likes this.
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An inch is a lot. That does explain the instability that she is feeling. I would try to keep it under an inch if possible. Having said that, I did see a link somewhere on here to a 40mm drop links set for the Hima. Can't find it right now.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a bit dangerous to lower front suspension like that. Usually an inch is enough to have the lower slider slam in to the lower triple tree, causing a harsh bottom out and damage to components. Maybe something like 10 to 15 mm. I'd pull the springs and lower the bike gently down to full compression and see if the fork sliders or seals contact the triple tree.
    clfarren5944 and Bojer like this.
  11. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lowering the front an inch by putting the tubes up will definitely allow the fork brace to impact the the bolts holding the upper mudguard - 15 mm spacers were enough to cause that on mine .
  12. Hondapaul

Hondapaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All
    You might want to check you fork oil level/ (if you have not changed it already) as don't know what grade oil was in my front forks (2018 Himmi) but changed it when changing the headstock bearings (Ahh is that rust I see - might need a bigger hammer for this one :-).

Fork travel was firm and hardly dipped when braking, and never bottomed out yet I had loads of static sag???...

Only about 380/390cc came out of each leg (with much pumping of leg and waiting for oil to stop dripping for max drainage without a complete strip)... and the spec is 455cc per leg.

Changed the oil to 455cc of 10w Putoline HPX R and now I have less sag, front end sits higher (more mudguard clearance), a bit more dive when brakeing (but not instant dip at first touch, just a nice smoothish drop annd still no bottoming out.

Bounced up a few curbs, down a few potholes, while brakeing to check, not rocky offroad yet as mainly sand in my neck of the woods).

Its sits better on it's shortened side stand and, so far, a much more comfortable/fluid ride... (Hmmm Ohlin's are making a rear shock... where,s my old ski mask...)
    Paul
  13. CDRODA396

CDRODA396 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doctor T likes this.
  14. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohlins recommend a 220mm air gap with 10 wt suspension fluid, 15 mm preload and a .6 spring.
    As usual Racetech are a bit stiffer with a 150 mm air gap, 15 wt oil, 12mm preload and a ,67 spring.
    These probably cover both ends of the scale, depends on if you like a soft of firm setting, and your choice of tires, etc.

Note that both use straight wound springs, ''progressive rate " springs are a myth -----------.

Don't know what the stock settings are , or what was put in the forks at the last service, they don't suit me and the sort of ridiing I do at all.
    And the lower brace doesn't get anywhere near touching anything with 15mm guard risers and a 200 lb rider

Bikes reaction to dropping the front is not uniform, my Honda interceptor turned in just a little better after dropping the front 20 mm, , fine tuning from there didn't make a lot of difference.
    My BMW F650 liked to be dialed in, a turn at a time on the adjustable fork caps, and a couple of turns from stock made a big difference.
    I wouldn't advise dropping forks any more than 6mm at a time initially, and that can be achieved with adjustable caps.
    Actually, I found the adjustable caps were more use for setting the turn in just how I like it than they were for setting the springs.

Haven't started setting up the Hima yet as it came with a new set of MT90s which don't suit me at all , and I decided to wear them out first- took 5000 km of gentle riding.
    A set of Anekee 3s go on next week and I will dial in the suspension to suit them, probably starting with the Ohlins settings.

Anybody tried a alternative rear shock?
    The OEM shock performs better than I have any right to expect for a shock that I can replace for around $200 incl shipping, but something with a bit more adjustability is probably going to be needed if I start messing around with the front.

Spring kits are around which drop the bikes 30 mm each end, my local YSS guy here in Adelaide has them.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazingly, as I wait for my bike to be delivered to my dealer, I've been shopping... :loco

Up until today it's been smaller items such as, new side stand (to shorten), oil filters, sintered front pads, Denali horn, LED headlight, mirror extenders, etc...

Up until today, that is... Today, just a few minutes ago, the bell rang, and sitting on my porch was a rather large box... Within this box I found:

[​IMG]

It's the 350mm (14") SS full system from Delkevic. I decided to wait to unwrap the header until I get the bike and I'm ready to install it since it'll make it easier to store without scratching it up. The can itself came in its own Styrofoam box so it'll go back for safe keeping as well. But, judging from the can, I'd say that it looks like a nice piece of kit. It even came with the little red box containing silicone exhaust sealant. :thumb

The standard baffle core is in the can, and the part you see below is the Delkevic USFS approved spark arrestor that I ordered to keep me legal on the forest roads up in the mountains.

[​IMG]

Only time will tell but judging from the quality of construction of the components I've examined, I'm serious impressed with this system. Especially for the price. Shipped to my door, the full SS exhaust system, including the accessory spark arrestor was $275.90. Compared to other exhausts that I've bought, that seems like a real bargain. :nod

Now if I just had a bike to put it on!

More photos, and impressions to come... IF RE ever gets my bike to Atlanta! I just called the dealer and he says he got confirmation that the bike shipped last week, but still no ETA. :dirtdog Says sometimes they just show up without warning, that he'll call as soon as it hits, and that they'll have it uncrated and ready to go within a couple of hours. :thumb
    tumblingdice likes this.
  16. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    That pipe looks familiar. :clap
    Bradster49 and Randy like this.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a side note, while I'm guessing that they're not really "needed", I plan to install a set of engine guards/crash bars, whatever you want to call them. I want the Zana guards as they have four points of mounting, and appear to offer decent protection for the oil cooler, and look to be a good place to mount aux lights, etc. I tried to order direct, but that didn't seem to work for international orders. So, I emailed them last week and received no reply. Then, earlier this week, on the advice found in this thread, I contacted them through FB. I actually did get a response there. I explained what I wanted and that I had emailed them twice already. They asked my for my email address, and I gave it to them, to which they replied, "noted mate". Then nothing since... I suppose they're quite busy, and get a lot of emails, etc. Maybe they're a smaller production outfit and sell all they can make, IDK. Guess I'll give them a few more days and if I can't get them, I'll just order some Givi's...

Does anyone that's ordered from them have any "tricks" to share?
  18. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    By the way on that Delkevic exhaust. I welded the header adapter to the muffler to eliminate one of the clamps. As it is I snug up the one remaining clamp after every few hundred miles so you might want to keep an eye on them.
    IMG_1682.JPG
    Randy likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, azgsa the enabler...

Your video definitely helped anyway. :beer

Looks good, sounds good, and gets rid of both cats. :thumb Not sure how it'll sound with the SA installed, but I'm hoping it'll be somewhere between the quiet core and fully open. I chatted with someone at Delkevic about it and explained what I was looking for. They claimed that the 18" version was very similar to stock, and that from my description, that the 14" would probably be what I'd want since the SA does quieten it down from full open but does have a bit more volume than the quiet core. I guess I'll find out once my bike arrives, I get a chance to put a few miles on it stock, then test the new exhaust... Getting so antsy now that I jump every time my phone rings hoping it'll show Royal Enfield Robert is calling...
  20. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.