Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well what are you waiting for, let's see em!

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Eatmore Mudd, JBeK and voodoochilled like this.
  3. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    CR Hi bend replacement:
    IMG_1800.JPG
    Eatmore Mudd and JBeK like this.
  4. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vikingtazz! Good to know. Did you end up replacing your stock bars with this then? I’m guessing so from the picture you posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Did my second service at 3681 miles. Both the intake and exhaust clearances were in spec with the intake @ .08mm so I backed it out to .10mm. The exhaust hadn't moved at all @ .25mm. Had 1 bent spoke which I removed and straightened and other than that nothing out of the ordinary. I'm pleasently surprised how well this bike is built.
    Thought I'd add a bit more wind screen. I had a Laminar Lip left over from a CB500X so I threw it on Sherpa. Haven't tested it yet. Also installed a USB volt meter to charge my GPS.
    Got an email from Seat Concepts saying they should have two seats for the Himalaya in about 6 weeks. A standard and a tall. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  6. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    JBeK likes this.
  7. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Yessir - turned good ergos into great ergos.
    IMG_1913.JPG
  8. wolftrax

Oddometer:
  9. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Look what came in the mail today :-)

IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1932.JPG
  10. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Nate, would you mind sharing your impressions of the RE hard panniers. Going to do Africa next year and thinking the security of hard boxes might be a good investment. The OEM boxes look good but just wondering if you think they are up to the rigors of overland travel.

Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
  12. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the K&N filter is designed to be airflow from outside of "cylinder" to inside which is reverse of the stock RE filter design. Not sure how well the pre-filter sleeve would work in the RE setup...
    Do you think it will work OK?

/
  13. JBeK

JBeK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Another really nice thing about FI - it will work great even with the change in air flow.
    The pre-filter should be a solid option for dusty environments and would still pass more air with the K&N than the stock unit.
  15. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that the stock paper a/f limits flow in any way, it is larger than some bikes making much more hp. Also I don't trust oiled fabric filters on off biased vehicles, in my experience there is always a fine coating of 'dust' downstream of them, even on my mx6 canam that draws air around the steering head, probably the cleanest place...
    The standard cat con would probably be one of the major limitations on flow, then possibly the mild cam and carby size, eventually I will probably make a rough copy of the header pipe and see what if any benefits are there, then pull the head and check for a nice three angle valve job, and perhaps clean up the ports. A slight skim to bump up the comp ratio a bit would yield slightly more efficiency. But I doubt much more could be done without compromising the lovely flat power delivery.
    Though it would be fun to see just how much you could get out of an LS410, no doubt someone will go all out on one, then we can pick and choose which mods to make that suits us, much like how you build established engine designs, you decide the power, and the delivery, then bore or stroke, valve sizes cc the chambers whack in the cam and get exactly what you want.
    I don't see the himma as a race bike, but as the engine is so smooth, it would suit a road based bike also, probably not many people thought that a two smoke dirtbike motor by Bultaco could be a road and racebike in the Metralla.
    Anyhow end of my random ramblings...
    for the moment

:-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been impressed to be honest, especially for the money. I'm not sure of the gauge, maybe 1.5mm side walls, but they feel as sturdy as a Krauser, Givi or SW Motech pannier and I like that they've been tucked nice and tight to the bike, so they're well within the handlebars. The sloping corners are a bit annoying as it means that the base of the pannier isn't flat, so you do lose some packing room. I had Metal Mules on my GS and I liked that they were square cornered but that's just the way it is. I've not dropped the bike with them on yet and I suppose that'd be the ultimate test, but I did have them on when doing some trail riding and they remained secure and didn't flap around. I have thought about some soft luggage but to be honest I do like the convenience of aluminium panniers for road based travelling. I personally wouldn't be too worried about soft luggage in Africa though. I think most theft is opportunism - say if you leave something on your seat - so I'm sure you'd be alright. It's in Europe at the minute where you're more likely to have your luggage stolen, and the bike for that matter! Tonnes of bike crime in London sadly.
    Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. wolftrax

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I traveled Southern Africa in 2008 via Cape Town with nothing more than a Giant Loop Great Basin. Had zero security concerns. This trip however I will ship to LHR and travel through Europe before turning South to the dark continent. Thanks for the warning about theft in Europe. One of the great ironies of travel, security in developing nations can be less of a concern than first world nations.

Bkadv2 likes this.
  18. beer_in_beard

beer_in_beard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @wolftrax I just installed the RE Panniers on mine last weekend, haven't traveled with them loaded yet, but I agree with @nathanthepostman they seem very solid. Good locking mechanism and 4 keys :) I did have a little trouble on the right pannier, the clearance for the rotating part that locks the pannier to the rack didn't have enough clearance between the rack mounting screw and the rack (see pic), but I was able to get it in by placing the part in place first, then attaching the pannier. left side had just enough clearance to rotate the piece into place.
    [​IMG]
  19. voodoochilled

Oddometer:
  20. voodoochilled

Oddometer:
    Ordered. I'm going to try swapping out my stock handlebar with this over the weekend and see if it fixes my misalignment issue. Thanks for the tip.