1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. remzamora

remzamora Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice to see a fellow Pinoy Himalayan rider here! Mabuhay!

Himalayan rider here also. From the first batch.

PS: Are you coming to the Himalayan owners event later at Bagtikan?

Rem
  2. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bagtikan? Where's that? Hehe

I'm Davao based sir.

How's your bike been so far?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  3. remzamora

remzamora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bike has been running ok albeit with some issues that was resolved by the service center sir
  4. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I heard about similar issues from my cousin who also got the 1st batch.

5. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this won't sound too stupid. Is this bike available on Canada yet? Can any Canuck riders chime in with any experience s with this bike?
    SRR

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Hey rod, welcome to the asylum.
  7. Sideroadrod

Sideroadrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir. I been around a while,but just changed my handle today. I have been watching the reviews and articles on this bike for the last few months with curiousity.

Thanks
    SRR

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
  8. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Local Harley dealer told me today they are getting the Royal Enfield franchise. Told me he had four Himalayans sold as soon as he can get them.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Very interesting.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One can only hope that they embrace the franchise, my dealer is an Eaglerider hire, with RE as the only new bike franchise, a good match it seems to me...
    Interesting times ahead :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  11. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find it interesting that people from 1st world countries are looking into the Himalayan.

I figured it would be a 3rd world market exclusive.

12. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can be 3rd world-ish at times....:)

I was out for a bit yesterday on hard water, had the Bullet/Cozy rig.

Eatmore Mudd and Richarde1605 like this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Simpler bikes with smaller engines is a thing and it's been growing for a while. Call it getting back to our roots if we have to.

For the first year and a half it was an India exclusive. Then them lucky boogers in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines,Bolivia, Columbia , Peru, and now England got them. The US gets to wait until April-ish to get them. No word on Canada yet.
    Richarde1605 and i22 like this.
  14. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I can relate to that. I came from a Sportster 1200. And before I got this I was looking at a Versys 300 that has almost double the HP, 10kg lighter, twin cylinder, slipper clutch...more refinement all around.

But the Enfield just called out to me more. Simple like a tractor. Military looks. Slower but then how fast do I wanna go anyway?

I also couldn't picture myself in the boonies with a Versys and all that flashy plastic. Haha

15. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think E.M. has this right. Not sure about your age 'group' but there is a trend among a lot of the rally folks I spend time with to downsize and I think it's about more than one factor. A return to what 'was', smaller, lighter, cheaper, simpler, the realization that we don't need 150 hp to get where we'd like to go. Personally I'm spending more and more time on small ones and when that first happened, my reaction was and the feelings felt were, "hey, this is like when I started"....and it was good. :)

Re: the small Versys. Believe me, I've thought long and hard about one and there's no denying that it makes a lot of sense, maybe the very most sense. I now know a couple of guys (big bike owners, both with big ones in the garage) that have them and they love them. Still, like you, I'm hearing the same calling.

Richarde1605 likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep this bike speaks to the wanderer, the explorer, those who are not sure of their path until they get there.

If you want to blast along at top rate on your known dirt roads this is not your bike.

If you want to load up your camping gear and check out need places, even those with minimal to no roads this is your bike.

Exploration like that is a 30-50mph affair if that. Need to lump along on an easy road at 70, sure this bike will do that too.

Everyone go look at the bike on the FRONT cover of ADV!!! That is Adventure and it's NOT a big fast techy KTM.

This bike is not for everyone, not even for most in fact but for those that get it, it's their bike.

Truth is this bike is probably ideal for more riders than care to admit or let their ego down for a minute to consider it.

The Moto industry is shrinking and millennials are not moving in. The industry is try to figure out why? This might be one of the answers whether the mag editors can admit it or not!

The WR250R was a small "girls" bike when it came out...and yet it's chugging along as popular as ever...
  17. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think 250cc is enough. In fact, 99% of the bikes here are under 250cc. And these guys load their bikes up with 2 or more people and they can go uphill just fine. Slow, but they make it.

Just google "overloaded motorcycle" because that's normal here. And those are on 125cc bikes.

I even saw a guy on a 125cc with a wooden platform with another bike and person on top of it + other stuff. I'll post a pic once I find it.

So 400cc is more than enough, really.

cyclopathic likes this.
  18. 8livesleft

8livesleft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next time someone tells you your bike is underpowered...[​IMG]

wilfred, rpiereck, fe2cruz and 4 others like this.
  19. Bojer

Bojer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seem to be selling a few here in the UK , I managed to take one out for a test ride to help me decide between a Honda 250 Rally and the Himalayan . The bike had only 60 miles on it so I wasn't going for any land speed records but it held a comfy 60 mph with plenty in hand for hills etc . I was surprised how smooth the motor and driveline was , none of the usual "big" single chain clatter etc . Front brake hardly needs ABS but I did manage to activate the rear just to check it . Fit and finish not to Japanese standards but "workmanlike" and no glossy platics to scuff/damage . Think I like it !
    Bradster49 and Richarde1605 like this.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    let me ask, by not to Japanese standards do you mean it has runs/ drips/sags or simple mono color with no pearl , metallic or gloss clear over coat ?
    Steve516 likes this.