Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jetlag Jon

Jetlag Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, wish I had taken more photos!
    A pushbike will be much cheaper to ship than a Himalayan. Apart from being much lighter, it's not classified as dangerous cargo.
  2. gusthedog

gusthedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you looking at new helmets, a higher price doesn’t necessarily = safety. I have found this website to be really informative https://www.crash.org.au/ for helmet reviews on safety.
  3. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, but looking at their safety ratings they give equal rating to all factors, including rotation
    One verifiable report on death causation in M/C head injuries was by the Cranio Facial unit here in Adelaide, and on the admittedly small sample they found that 100% of deaths were similar to legal hanging, that is, rotation.
    So no point in having good penetration or whatever if all it does is breaks your neck a little faster, rotation is the key!
    There was also no assessment of how they aged - cheap flexible plastic buckets with thick soft packaging foam do work reasonably well when new, but the soft foam quickly collapses and the shell gets brittle with age, so if you intend keeping the helmets for long then your choice might be different.
    Coating and clarity of the visor varies a lot too - the current coating on both sides of the Schuberth visor is both extremely scratch resistant and optically superior , with some things you simply get what you pay for!
    Randy likes this.
  4. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy, Know the feeling. Bit the bullet and bought a new lid this year before my 3720km road trip. AGV was way lighter than the 10 year old lid and has the sun visor that can be flipped down. Could not believe the difference when riding over 500kms in a day. No neck stiffness and way better in the wind. Next thing is a new jacket, current one has enough armour for a tank and weighs a lot when being picked let when being worn on long rides. My fault bought jacket with loads of protection for gravel and off roading on another bike long road trips not on the radar back then. :dirtdog
  5. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Yes simple does have its advantages.:clap
    Eatmore Mudd and sam2019 like this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safety is only one consideration when selecting a helmet, albeit a very important one. Unfortunately, with all the different research, theories, testing protocols, and possible crash scenarios, it's difficult to pick the very best one. One that does best in one area may not be the best in a different type of impact, or vice versa...

But, there are often many other differences between expensive and inexpensive helmets. Things like weight, features, noise, ventilation, optical clarity of the visor(s), fit, comfort, overall build quality, fit and finish, liner material, aerodynamics, and just how long does the helmet retain proper fit, etc...

So yeah, you can get decent helmets at lower cost. But, overall, I agree. You do tend to get what you pay for. I've had cheap lids, and I've had mid range lids. But my overall satisfaction in all categories has been with Arai in the past. Yep, pricey. But at the end of the day I never regretted buying them. Can't say the same for most of the others though.
    Beemerboff likes this.
  7. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I find the USA has funny standards on helmets especially one that offers very little protection if any. These ive seen mostly worn by Hog riders. The ones am talking about are the German-style second world war helmets. Then there are ones that look like basketball caps. How do these offer any protection i don't know and how did these styles ever get a DOT rating. They must of have been tested once to pass the DOT?. These helmets would never come under our BS6658:195 with the BSI Kitemark or UNECE Regulation 22.5/6. Perhaps we may have only had the BSI if we didn't join the Common Market(EU as it's known by now) years ago.
    Now going back to bargain helmets over here in the UK. How can a £50 helmet have passed the same criteria as a £1000 helmets?. I had to study the Regulations whilst lecturing at Oxford Uni and to be honest i can't see how a producer of helmets that has a maximum retail price of £50 gets through or even afford to submit a helmet to the EU/BS regulators at that price.
  8. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DOES !
  9. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to mention that RE itself offers a line of excellent helmets all of which are below 50 pounds. Of course this is India and a cheap helmet can be had for 5 pounds- but nonetheless, it shows that those "high end" helmets sold to western customers likely have a 1000% profit margin, if not more.

https://store.royalenfield.com/
    Doctor T likes this.
  10. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi have a strange noise on the exhaust line of my Himalayan (5800 km), i have checked all fixation and all is ok, do you have a idea ? thank's

11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say that most of the helmets you're referring to with the Harley pirate crowd is what's commonly referred to as "novelty" helmets, or "brain buckets". They're use is a sign of defiance against helmet laws and thumbing the nose toward authority. They carry no official safety certification. The DOT stickers are just fakes, commonly available on eBay, etc.

Aside from those, building a helmet that will pass DOT testing really isn't rocket science... Injection molded polycarbonate shell, surrounding a shell of Styrofoam of adequate thickness and proper density, and you have the key ingredients. Pretty simple and cheap really. It's all of the engineering and materials that goes into the other things I mentioned that drives the cost upward. Well, that and being able to pass more stringent standards...
    kokomoto, Eatmore Mudd and Doctor T like this.
  12. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    The open face helmets are by Tuzo Helmets. Not sure on the fell face but seems to be from other manufacturers
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Sound like something is loose inside the pipe. Maybe the CAT as the rattle seems louder lower down
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    This is a good article and it has links in it to more things good to know.

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-truth-about-motorcycle-helmets-got-a-journalist-5582380
    Doctor T likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing whatsoever to do with helmets, or even Royal Enfields. But, it is motorcycle related in content, but more importantly, has a connection to modern times even though the photo was taken just over 100 years ago...

0379322e-ce77-43bc-8db8-692c01defc6a.jpg
    FEG32, buckthedog, jerry46 and 4 others like this.
  16. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    In some ways yes. Although the EFI is much more refined and better on fuel.
  17. Kiwi59

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy. Times have not changed. I think picture would be after WW1 when the spanish flu went around the world and killed millions. Would be intersting see if tested today what the tests would show?:-)
    jerry46 and Doctor T like this.
  18. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pic is dated January 1919, so very likely the Spanish Flu.

The area where I live was the epicenter of the western Canadian outbreak of the Spanish Flu. The troop train that crossed Canada with soldiers returning from Europe ended up in a train yard in Port Coquitlam a couple of miles from my house.
    Doctor T likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Spanish flu of 1918-1919, although it actually lasted until 1920, and coming in four distinct waves during that period, infected ~ 500,000,000 people worldwide, and killing ~50,000,000. It was caused by a strain of H1N1 avian flu and had an unusually high mortality rate among 20-40 year old healthy individuals. It is an interesting story in and of itself.

Lacking, vaccines, or even antibiotics or other drugs to combat the secondary illnesses brought on by the disease, non-pharmaceutical intervention was the only thing the people of the day had to combat the spread. Much like today... I just found the photo interesting because of the masks that have once again become an everyday part of the world in which we now live. From what I read, Harley Davidson now has a large version of this photo hanging at the entrance to their museum since they recently reopened.

Just thought it was worth sharing...
  20. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not in my experience. I am a sucker when it comes to calculating fuel, I take a picture of the fuel pump and my day trip meter every time. There is no difference what I measure to that of my EFI friends. On the contrary, when we measured the 477 it consistently used less fuel in the carb version vs. the EFI even WITH power commander. and refined? it has more parts that can break LOL. it is my opinion that only emission standards are the reason for EFI, nothing else. we could all live happy ever after with carb only.
    Randy likes this.