Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Brainburn

Brainburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, you are spot on. I read that the same.

The thing is...I never took out/off the flat seat as it was stuck to the assembly with oil. In other words, it stayed as the factory assembled it.
    **sigh**

You are correct though. It is, as the manual says, judder spring, flat judder seat then...

Surely that wouldn't be the reason my clutch failed so fast. would it?

Hell, I will reassemble it tomorrow the way the manual says and see if it behaves differently.

**note on that**
    the clutch just failed. The nut was secured with a lock tab and there was pretty extensive discoloring of 2 steel plates.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    While trying to research Brainburn's clutch issue a bit (not successfully, I regret) I did stumble onto something somewhat interesting...

A while back there was some discussion about the Himalayan engine being designed to utilize a kick start. And I believe that I've found some evidence that confirms this...

Over the past few months, I've installed kick starters in two bikes that did not come with them from the factory; one a TW200 and the other an XT225. Both had similar arrangements to what I see inside the Himalayan's right side engine cover.

First, a photo taken during my TW200 install. You can clearly see the hole in the case for the kick start shaft, and the shaft for the idler gear, with spacer and snap ring, just forward and above the hole.

IMG_9681edit.jpg

In the case of the TW, the spacer is removed from the shaft and replaced with the idler gear, and the kick start shaft is installed in the hole below. Like this...

IMG_9682.jpg

In the case of the Himalayan, we find a very similar arrangement... A hole for a kick start shaft, and a spacer taking the place of an idler gear... As well as a boss for the return spring...

Untitled.jpg

And then, on the inside of the right side case cover, there is a matching hole, with reinforcing bosses cast in to support the outer end of the kick start shaft... There's even a casting on the outside of the cover that shows where it could have (should have) been bored through. The TW and XT both have these holes already bored and are just capped off with a press fit plug. The Himalayan was never bored...

Untitled2.jpg

So, it appears that somewhere along the path of this engine's design, someone thought it would be a good idea to build it to accept a kick start. Really a shame they didn't follow through... Or even as in the case of the XT, bore the hole in the cover, plug it, and offer an accessory kick start installation kit...

Just thought this was interesting...
    Eatmore Mudd and sam2019 like this.
  3. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few YT videos that show clutch assembly in detail. they are in Hindi for the most part but the procedure is clearly visible, just turn off the sound :)
    I had mine changed day before yesterday and sat thru the whole procedure, it was a 30 mins affair and looked straight forward. no special tools I could recognize where used.
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read what the manual says, and quoted it above. But then, thinking about it, it actually makes more sense to have the Belleville spring sandwiched between a steel washer and a steel plate rather than making contact with the aluminum of the clutch hub... So, I honestly have no idea... If I had to choose, I'd say the factory got it right and the manual got it backwards... :dunno So, finding it the way you found yours, I'd likely put it back the way I took it apart.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen a video of it before but when looking a bit ago I couldn't find the same one. BUT, Sam is likely the best "inside source" we have here on the forum as to how these parts go.

@sam2019 , if you don't remember, could you maybe ask one of your guys in which order the Belleville spring and washer go? Is the manual correct, or incorrect? Or am I just reading it wrong? My Hindi isn't so good...:D
  6. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting indeed. For the untrained eye (and people with English as second language) could you mark the places in the photos you mentioned?
    Any idea what it would take to make a kick start set - which parts need to be manufactured, can some possibly be used from other bikes like the bullet?
  7. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could have them take it apart and re-assemble it again filming it. My Hindi is zero and the guys speak very little english, I doubt anyone would know what a Belleville spring is (nor do I).
  8. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how to - videos

9. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Basly has passed 24 000kms just fine. Here was a very pleasurable ride last weekend...
  10. Brainburn

Brainburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Judder spring
  11. Brainburn

Brainburn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watched them both before the attempt.
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously the geometry is somewhat different. But I noticed amazing similarities when looking at the Himalayan and remembering the kick start installs on the TW and XT. I'm just assuming that the axis of the hole in the side cover aligns with the axis of the hole in the case. But, just looking at what I can see, I'm betting that it does...

Here's the labeled photos to explain what I was talking about earlier...

IMG_9681edit.jpg
    IMG_9682edit.jpg Untitlededit.jpg Untitled2edit.jpg

And to give you an idea of what all is involved, here's the parts contained in the XT kit that I installed recently:

IMG_0861.JPG

This is the parts installed on the kick start shaft. This plus the shaft oil seal, idler gear, kick start lever assembly, and miscelanious small parts like snap rings, washer, etc...

Kick start assembly 2.JPG
    Doctor T and sam2019 like this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beemerboff and sam2019 like this.
  14. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx for that! it seems too complex for the guys I work with to manufacture. but I assume from the chinese writing that the kit is made in china. how many XTs have been produced? Maybe it is worth while for those Chinese to make a set for the Himalayan as well?
  15. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    another solution could be swapping to clutch-less steam drive ..

little ackman and Ironhorse 332 like this.
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Japanese writing. The XT kit was an official Yamaha part, although I don't believe they've been offered since 2014 or so. Same with the TW kit. I assembled the kit for the TW myself by researching the required parts and ordering them separately. Last I looked, all parts for each were still available, save for the kick lever assembly for the XT. And I found a member here on ADV that still had a complete new in box Yamaha kit for the XT that he never got around to installing. I doubt it would be a worthwhile endeavor to make a kit for the Himalayan. I just wonder why they would design it into the engine, and not actually use it...
    sam2019 likes this.
  17. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    obviously, my bad ...
    the Hima is a very cheap bike, I can see how RE brain stormed all the none essential parts (and some essential ones) that could be excluded.
    quite a few people I know, including myself, would love a kick start. just for kicks. It was much fun to kick the old Bullet, if you knew how to do it you could do it with a hand even.
  18. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    They still had to design it into the gearbox and castings.
    I would have thought it would have been cheaper/quicker to leave it out completely, unless they were copying another design.
  19. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good links, cleared up a little confusion for me.
    In some British literature they call something else a Belleville washer.
    It is usually a short flat coil spring with a couple of turns made out of coiled flat strip, and used to control end float on components like the valve rockers on my BSA.
    Fitted it would be hard to tell the difference between one and two or three true Bellville washers, but they are all in one piece, and usually quite low tension.
    Randy likes this.
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Oz we we have to pay $A170- for the pipe alone, plus $15 - shipping, and the can is twice that, so $550- shipped.
    The Oz agent is the only one selling them so I doubt if Delcovic US would ship me one , but might try----!