Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A7970B80-7DDB-473D-95D5-11698C07EC85.jpeg After my taillight failed a while back I ordered a dirt bike one off eBay about $16AUD 66137B17-DB08-420B-BC9B-5ED16937AD01.jpeg Had to wire in a new plug but all good
  2. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Looks very similar to the one PUTT THE HIMALAYAN fitted on Youtube
  3. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Randy. The only purpose of the instructions was to explain the use of the Pro Seal and possibly the missing copper crush washer. Went back and checked the packaging material. It is definitely not in the packaging and it was not listed on the shipping manifest.

Edit: Found it. It was stuck in a piece of tape that I peeled off the header pipe packaging.
    Eatmore Mudd and GeeMan67 like this.
  4. benebob

benebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well Oxford heated grips arrived yesterday. Big fail quality wise. Throttle grip no workie. Already boxed up to go back. Quality compared to the Hotgrips is pretty bad and even the other grip barely gets hot. Problem is now in order to get the grip off the throttle tube had to do some prying which butchered up the tube a bit so it doesn’t return well. Need to get a new one. Anyone find an aftermarket one that fit? Part number from enfield and a good place to try to find one in stock. My local dealers got nothing ever and i have found it faster to order from India
  5. hugues

hugues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Do you now the height criteria for chasing the Tall seat? How tall are you? In seam? At 6ft / 33' I think I am just at the limit. Cheers

6. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam. You're goint to fit just fine.
    hugues likes this.
  7. hugues

hugues Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @benebob I fitted ones from Hitchcock in the UK.
    https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/21109?ref_page=Himalayan
    I am not mechanically minded and they were easy to fit.

8. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    OK, so I have the header pipe more or less in position, but the alignment of the header pipe bracket with the mount point to the center stand stopper is not good. And the pipe is hard up against the bottom of the right-hand footpeg bracket. Was the hanger supposed to go above or below the stopper?

Edit: did not align to the bottom, so left the header bolts loose, snugged up the stopper bracket bolt, bent the bracket down to get it away from the footpeg bracket, and then snugged up the header bolts at the flange. Looks good now.
  9. benebob

benebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I'm done with heated grips until maybe Hotgrips comes back online. At least with theirs I know they get hot and last the life of a bike. I need the throttle tube though that I couldn't seem to find on hitchcocks online parts list
  10. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    That is unfortunate. I've been very happy with the four sets that I have purchased over the years. They work well on my Hima, except for the fact that I had to shave down the Hima's throttle tube (file down the splines) and the fit is slightly loose (the grip gradually rotates over time). Need to pull it back again and give it another dose of adhesive (hair spray).
  11. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    After some fiddling, I was successful in getting the Delkevic system installed. There is not much clearance between the silencer and the swingarm, and the silencer angles out more than the OEM one does. Still, there is clearance for the Givi bags with the 18" silencer. I had to sub in a longer bolt for the muffler hanger, due to the fact that the mount is shared with the Givi rack. But it all worked out in the end.
  12. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love to see a pick with the GIVI bags mounted.
  13. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After being burned by such a failure years and years ago, I got in the habit of testing electric grips with a spare battery before beginning installation. Of course, since I started doing this, I've not had any more failures!

When I installed my grip heaters I didn't notice anything particularly unique about the Himalayan's throttle tube beyond the "for prevention of disease only" ribbing on the outside of the tube, which made it unusually difficult to get the rubber grip off and had to be filed down to make the (hard plastic) heater tube fit on. The functional parts looked like a pretty standard 1/4-turn, 7/8-inch throttle tube which can be bought from Dennis Kirk, Revzilla, etc. DK's website has a dozen under ten bucks, with reasonably good pictures of the business end. Try matching one up with your Himma's. What have you got to lose beyond a few bucks?
  14. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and the tall seat fits pretty well. Definitely no problems planting my feet flat on the ground at a stop! I still find I slide forward a bit and bang my knees into the tank rails, which I think is because even the Tall seat slopes forward a little. Some inmates have shown how to shim the front of the seat so it sits more level, and I think I'm going to try that before I remove the cover and shave the foam to make it flatter.
    hugues likes this.
  15. Kiwiscoot

Kiwiscoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was first time I had the Himma in some serious sand. The Shinko E804/805 with the Himma's low down torque paddled through until I was to tired. The bike sure has more capabilities than what I have. :DWas a great ride and a day.
    LogHouseBikers likes this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My previous two bikes had heated grip. The Triumph genuine ones were crap unless you weren't wearing any gloves. The Oxford grips on the XJ1200 did get very warm. These are the only 2 bikes that had any kind of heating was fitted. Ive travelled through Russia, north circle, Sweden, Norway and all of Europe, summer and winter times and to be honest, i prefer a good pair of winter gloves and a pair of handguards. Perhaps am old school, i grew up when waterproofs weren't waterproof, Boots leaked like a sieve and water flooded in behind the visor. I will admit that saying out that i never really feel the cold except for around my Kidneys and chest. My hands and feet for some reason don't get cold.
  17. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    OK, here ya go. The silencer sits more or less at the same height as the OEM one did. But you can see in the end-on pic that the outlet is shifted over about an inch from where the Givi tailpipe used to mount. You can also see the clearance at the swingarm relative to the hanger.

The Delkevic system has a bracket on the header pipe that attaches to the mount for the center stand stopper. I believe that this pulls the pipe inwards more than the OEM pipe. Consequently, the silencer needs to be angled out a bit to give some clearance at the swingarm. This results in the silencer having to be angled a bit at the header pipe connection, which I am not in love with. And with everything tightened up, you can move the silencer back and forth a bit, bending the hanger. It is not a solid mount.

Attached Files:

18. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I've been following this with interest. My 14" Delkevic & pipe is supposed to arrive Wed.
  19. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    All things considered, if I was to do this again, I think that I would also go with the 14" silencer. I wanted the OEM look and the mellow sound of the 18" can, but given the attachment point for the silencer hanger, the 14" would put the hanger closer to the center of the can and would not stick out as much.
  20. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update

For you trouble shooters out there..
    Went out to ride the Himma yesterday, been a few weeks, no start, wouldn't even light the instrument panel. Based on this thread, I assumed bad battery. I have had sudden battery failure on other bikes. When I pulled the battery, it showed 3 volts. I took it to the dealer and got a Yuasa replacement.

Started install of the battery, what a PITA. Had to modify the lugs on the cables to get them to fit. As I started to attach the ground cable, the ABS pump started. EVerytime I touched the negative terminal, the pump started and wouldn't stop. I turned the key, and nothing. Nothing at the instrument panel.

I started checking things and noted that the 25 amp charging fuse was blown. I tried to replace the fuse, but it blew as soon as it touched.

I plan to do the following.

1 - Disconnect all of the electrical accessories that I've added.

No change, blows fuse as soon as its inserted

2 - Pull all of the fuses but the charging fuse and try that one.

No other fuses blown. Pulling the ABS fuse does stop the pump.

3 - Replace fuses one at a time to try to somewhat isolate the problem.

4 - Try to start continuity testing. Small space and rats nest of wires, I see that as a frustrating task.

5 - the pump running seems to be a clue, but I don't see it. I did find a post elsewhere that the pump running may be a failed pump relay. (common on some BMW's) Not sure how that would play in to blowing the fuse.

6 - Check the R/R?

7 - Is there a relay that controls the ABS pump? Check that?

Any thoughts or suggestions?