Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    My Himalayan has had an annoyingly weak idle and would stall several times until finally warming up. Took it to a local dealer here locally and their “fix” was to crank the TPS all the way up and call it done. I undid that mess and installed a Booster Plug and am happy to say it completely fixed the issue. Bike always seemed a little lean and the Booster Plug was just the ticket.
  2. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took my Himalayan to the Hatfield McCoy trails in Southwest West Virginia in my cargo trailer toy hauler conversion. Rode with a couple of KTM 690s and some hondas. The bike did fantastic, me not so much.
    Part 1
    Part 2
    LogHouseBikers and Kiwiscoot like this.
  3. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Indeed. You’ll also notice lean surge at mid RPM steady throttle gone.
    FEG32 likes this.
  4. FEG32

Oddometer:
    I took it out for about 60 miles today, so much better. Especially in the 25-50 mph range just putting along.
    GeeMan67 likes this.
  5. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember how some people removed the master links in their chains and found bad wear because the link hadn't been lubed when the chain was installed at the factory? Remember how we all pledged to check ours to make sure this wouldn't happen to us? And then some people who shall remain nameless forgot all about it?

(Raises hand ruefully)

Luckily, I didn't find this out by having the chain break along the road; I was brushing off the dust from the afternoon's gravel-road rides (while thinking mostly about the damn "turkey start" gizmo on my boat, which has been acting up), and noticed a lot of powdered rust around the master link. So, I popped off the clip, slid the link out (keeping the chain on the sprocket for convenient reassembly) and found... not a speck of grease inside the rollers, a modest amount of rust powder, and about ten percent of the pin worn away. For now, I cleaned everything up, greased the pins with good ol' Harley wheel bearing grease (the first thing I found on the shelf), and put it back together. I think the chain is still good for 3-4000 miles (it's starting to show uneven wear), but I should probably replace the master link. So where do I get one...? The stealership? I can try when they open on Tuesday, but given they ordered an air filter for me in mid June and it still hasn't come, I'm not expecting them to have one in stock. Found an "RK Racing 525 X-ring" master link on Amazon; fifteen bucks but free overnight shipping. Will any 525 clip-style master link work? Does it have to be O-ring style? Suggestions welcome.
    Doctor T likes this.
  6. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read this entire thread beginning to end. Some folks said Booster Plug did nothing. Others dug it. Glad it worked out for you as well. Mine ran so lean it was terrible. I checked the vent tube to the EVAP, mine was not kinked. I do suspect that my EVAP system will “fall off” soon. I’ve got 900 miles on mine now and I’m also noticing it seems to be breaking in nicely. Getting ready for a 400 mile R/T from Sacramento to Reno via Henness Pass in October. All back road/off road. This bike forces you to find the scenic routes.
    Kiwiscoot and FEG32 like this.
  7. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hitchcocks were recommending a JT master link as replacement for the standard link.
    I bought a couple as spares (but I am probably no closer to you than Hitchcocks).

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/s.nl?ext=F&sc=1&category=&search=Himalayan chain link
  8. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If shopping online, look for a link that says 525 "standard" in the name. I made the mistake of ordering a 525 link that turned out to have proprietary pin diameters, meaning that it would seize if I tried to force it onto the chain.
  9. FEG32

Oddometer:
    I feel like the folks that said it did nothing were looking for benefits it wasn’t going to provide. It added just of enough of a slight boost in mixture richness to solve my bikes issue. For me it was worth a shot. As for breaking in mine was crazy loud for the first couple hundred miles, the engine almost “rang”. it has quieted down nicely. I’m extremely happy with it. It reminds me of my old KLR but with a better seat and I don’t need a stepladder to get on it
    CaptainTrips and Scottyhumbucker like this.
  10. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lighting update:

One of my cheap led accessory lights died a second time so I figured they're too cheap and ordered a single light bar,
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPQUYM0/ref=twister_B07JG6X793?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    upload_2020-9-27_20-48-51.png

It illuminates the path in front better than the two lights did and it turns with the forks so that's another plus. Hopefully it lasts a reasonable amount if time.

In place the two lights I removed I'd like to find a pair of yellow fog lights. If anyone knows of a solid little light, 2" or there about, that's inexpensive please let me know!!
  11. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    TEC bikes in the UK also recomend them for the reason you descride. Welocme to the club. have read the forum as well when I joined. Lot more posts and tips on here now. Enjoy the new ride.:clap
  12. Kiwi59

Kiwi59 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry that hot grips did work, have them on two bikes. I set is 8 years old now and still working ok and 2nd on the Himma and also fine. Maybe you just got a dud set.
  13. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    I bought 2 master links from Aliexpress for £2.50 each. Only bought for on road emergencies to get me home. There are the standard "O" ring type. Ive had to use one already due to rust on the original link. Again no grease in sight. Anyway, the cheap link has lasted 560 miles since fitting so far.
  14. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no too small but very bright. I use only one on the left side and its enough.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B084R9FLBN/
    kitkat likes this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the videos! Thanks for sharing!
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  16. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You said cheap. mine are 6 bucks, yours are 60...
    however, I think I recognize your selection and basically they are less bright than mine, I had them on my Bullet years ago. also cheap china stuff and those numbers, well, my flashlight has 2000 lumen and is brighter than those.
    I may be wrong though, one never knows what LED is used inside the housing. I have seen absolute identical looking LED headlights and one was very bright and the other only 10% of that, big price difference too.
    kitkat likes this.
  18. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've posted already, and warned youse-all, as if I was someone who knows this stuff..."with these masterlinks, we're doomed!" (in Scots accent). I'd suggest doing what I did after two chains ended up with dried-up masterlinks, and that is move up tech-wise to the 20th century (sic) and install a rivetted link, and a good quality chain, and a Tuturo oiler. I used my nasty cheapo eBay chain tool and it wasn't too difficult to upgrade. Over the RHS of the pond there's loads of bike places sell chains and masterlinks so I s'pect in the US there will be too. Good luck and don't overtighten when you flatten the rivet, enough's enough.
  19. kitkat

kitkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, LED's are a gamble!

The size, shape and mounting are important to me and I know I said cheap but everything cheap is too big!

This link are the ones that I had up until now, they don't last!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SNX6E60/ref=twister_B07FNN6YX5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    I like the size and shape and they mount directly to the tank's crash bar without using the bracket. Their form factor is perfect - but they fail so they suck!
  20. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    Just cleaned my chain and my budget master link is stamped JT. Can't see the price on Hitchcocks site but i bet they cost over the £2.50 each delivered i paid. I always look at their site and search for the same item elsewhere. Research always pays off.