1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I even use it in my lawn mower and snow blower. But not in my cars (too spendy). I think that part of the reason that I notice the difference is because it is more apparent on a single cylinder motor. And maybe my other bikes have/had more sophisticated adaptation software.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same. Never used it in an auto. But all of my bikes, and small engines (chainsaws, weed eater, leaf blower, generator, etc) gets ethanol free. Bikes get ethanol occasionally due to availability when away from home. But small engines have never had ethanol in them as I always fill up my general purpose gas can up the street from the house, and they have ethanol free there.
  3. Scottyhumbucker

Scottyhumbucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Booster Plug fixed my cold idle issues. Bike would die multiple times until warmed up for five minutes. Cold Enrichment Lever made zero difference. Bike would die at stops. Hesitated at tip in throttle openings off idle. Surged at 4000 RPM steady throttle. Too lean. Booster Plug made it a different bike. No, it won’t go faster.
    FEG32 likes this.
  4. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    His problem sounds like a TPS fault. 0.42v is way too low and a BP wouldn't fix that.
  5. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i noticed while playing around with the TPS that it would read low when the negative connection of the meter to the bike wasn't perfect. Once i found a good connection it was stable around 0.6V.
  6. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I finally have my oil leaks solved. After taking the bike to the dealer (twice) I had the tank off for a valve adjustment and discovered the two middle bolts on the valve cover were finger tight. I loosened and retorqued all of them and cleaned it up and so far no leaks. If you want it done right...
  7. flatland964

flatland964 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note that, if any of you are in the Denver area with one of these great bikes, I just posted some practically new, free TKC80s sized for the Himmie in the Good Karma thread, but local pickup only.

BTW, I road from Denver to South Carolina a couple of weeks ago, mostly camping on the way. This is such a great travel bike! (as long as you stay off the really fast roads).
    IMG_0534.jpeg
  8. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This happened to me, slow motion fall in a large mud puddle, bike was on top of me, leg stuck with my face in water. I tried like hell to extricate my leg from out under the bike but could not pull it out. I eventually was able to pull my foot from the boot which was stuck. Was very frightening at first, not so much because of the water but because my foot was at a 90 degree angle to the ground with all the wt of the bike pushing on it. Very painful.
    Eatmore Mudd and sam2019 like this.
  9. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He "sort of" explains it. and only the obvious parts (and some Hindi too). The question how to adjust the voltage is not covered. that is IMO the interesting thing to know.

If I recall correctly the BING carbs I had on my R75/6 (and previous models) did not have a TPS and worked fine. So it may not be of much consequence either.
  10. Guttooth71

Guttooth71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys, I sold my heavy, river barge of a motorcycle (Goldwing) and bought a 2020 Himalayan. My Bike is being delivered Tomorrow, Needless to say I cant wait. I have owned many bikes over the years and when I think back, my most enjoyable riding has been done on smaller bikes. It sounds crazy but I would rather rev a small bike then plod along on a bigger one. I'm very short too, so that has something to do with it. Hopefully I can enjoy this bike for many years.
  11. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

And I'm with you on the smaller bikes. I've purchased three smaller bikes in less than twelve months with the Himalayan being the largest. My style of riding had changed since, and I find that I actually ENJOY riding more now. I prefer country back roads and dirt/gravel. And I'm no longer interested in speed. The smaller bikes just brings back the fun of exploring, making riding more interesting to me. And I think the Himalayan would/will make a great touring bike too as long as you're not interested in doing your touring on the interstate. I hope to use mine for a longer trip one day, and enjoy the added benefit of being able to explore off-road along the way... Not many bikes enjoy that flexibility. Especially for those of us with shorter inseams...
  13. Guttooth71

Guttooth71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Guttooth71

Guttooth71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I do enjoy the backroads but sometimes travel on the highway if needed. As long as I can do 65-70. I had a Suzuki TU250 with a taller geared sprocket I would run at 70mph on the highway for 2-3 hours at a time and I enjoyed it more then my Goldwing.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    65-70 is easy on the Himalayan. I have to keep myself in check at times as I find myself doing 65 in a 55 if I'm not paying attention to my speed. It starts running out of steam once a bit over 70 which is fine by me really, as I despise riding on the interstate anyway. I did do a short stint on the interstate once, just out of necessity. It did fine running well over 70 with hard panniers in place. But it's not something I'd care to do for longer periods.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. Guttooth71

Guttooth71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of MPG did you see over your trip.
  17. benebob

benebob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interestingly enough after it ran worse. Idle would surge at .42 I dropped it back down to .35v and it hasn’t stalled since.
  18. Guttooth71

Guttooth71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike got delivered a day early. It’s dark so but I had to take it for a ride. I have only Previously owned Japanese bikes. My first impression is that It feels like a motorcycle. I like the low end torque and using the power band. I may have to bring the bars closer to me, does anyone know of pullback Risers for it?
    The seat is not terrible but I’m definitely replacing it with a custom Day long saddle this winter. My headlight on high beam points up at the sky more then the road, I’ll have to make adjustments. My oil fill glass is completely full, no air visible, is this ok?
    As far as break in, is staying under 30mph for 300 miles really doable? I can hit 50 on some back roads I take to work. I would like to hear a few opinions on how closely riders followed the break in.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While we insist on religiously following break-in rules for the 477 engine upgrades the OEM engine seems very robust and seems to run forever even if mishandled and barely broken in correctly. There are numerous rentals now from the early days of 2016 with 60 to over 90 tkm on the first cylinder/piston. The repair/replacement set for the Hima cylinder/piston is a VERY slow moving item according to several dealerships. They where happy when we took them off their shelves to do our own boring/honing experiments. There are sometimes head issues but these seem quality control related and happen early on. Better to have it replaced under warranty :-)
  20. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer: