Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not a tuner and my PT is the first experience I have ever had with a piggyback ECU of any kind. I wanted a simple solution that would work out of the box to enrich the OEM mixture and I got that. I wanted a boost in midrange torque and I got that.

A bonus was the ability to tweak the setup for anything that I did not like. In my case, that was a too abrupt throttle response from idle. I also appreciate having the entire map laid out in front of me because I have a curious mind and it is interesting to see how non-linear fueling and timing modifications are when you use dyno testing to optimize a map, which I assume PT did to create the their base Hima map. Another bonus is that the base map works fine with both the OEM exhaust and the Delkevic system that I bought. And I have an easy way forward if I ever decide to get the Hitchcocks big bore kit.

At the time, I paid US $279 for my PT purchased online from their US Website. That's not much more $ than a BP. To sum up, I have no interest in sitting at a laptop trying to squeeze extra hp out of my Hima. That is best left to the professionals IMO.
    GeeMan67 and BillMcQuade like this.
  2. BillMcQuade

BillMcQuade Slow way round

Oddometer:
    Mate, you are in no position to judge my experience, nor the amount of theory behind it. However, your waffle regarding "dialing in" cams on older bikes (probably carburettor equipped), demonstrates yours. Are you fitting a vernier adjustable cam sprocket at the same time, or are you modifying the OEM sprocket to accept cam-adjustable washers?

You can sit there with all the measuring equipment in the world, checking duration, lift, ramp, etc., but Blind Freddy can see that once you start changing any of those things, the OEM maps cannot be optimised for these changes, nor would it be capable of such, especially in open loop conditions that are purely algorithmic!

If you are happy to be their Beta tester, and put in a new cam that claims to extract 20% more power, without optimising fuelling and timing, then go right ahead.

In fact, for the record, I'm highly sceptical of;
    • A company that claims you don't need to optimise fuelling and timing for a modified cam profile.
    • A company that claims you can get 20% more of anything from an engine, solely by changing the cam profile.
    In my experience, such things require a serious look at the ECU mapping over many different operating conditions, else some poor bloke is going to end up with a ventilated piston.

As for the 20%; I too can make magic dyno figures, when I control the base offsets.
    headonz likes this.
  3. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - Does anyone know what the attached pic - black connector is for? It’s capped off with a rubber piece, and goes nowhere. Looking to tap the brown wire which is a switched 12v supply for a couple of small LED lights. IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1029.JPG
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not against the PT or PC devices at all. And if I had the capability of playing around with the maps, I may find it interesting as well. And I know that it has much more flexibility for current and future mods and/or setups. They are the "better" option overall, I have no doubt. But, as I don't own a laptop that I can install interface software on in order to "play" with the maps, I wouldn't have access to that advantage currently. I know that I'm in the VAST minority in this, but as my current laptop is locked by my IT dept, I can't install software that doesn't have a justifiable business related purpose. And I'm sure that I'd have trouble convincing my IT guys that a motorcycle EFI controller interface program was "business essential". :rolleyes That is my situation. And since this laptop does everything else, I can't justify spending $1000+ to buy my own. When I retire in a few years of course I will, but a computer bought today would need upgrading by that point so...

And, while I know that the base maps work for many, I've also seen others for which it didn't. And due to my laptop situation, if I were in that minority (?), I wouldn't have the ability to alter it so that it would work...

Currently, my needs are pretty simple. And it seems that according to most, the BP appears to do all I want. And then, I just paid $138 for the BP, so it's roughly half the cost of the PT. And, if I went with a piggyback system, I would opt for the PC for reasons previously mentioned, and it's a bit more expensive still... I just can't justify spending more that twice as much for better features that I have no way of accessing...

With that said, I realize that the expenditure on the BP was a gamble. It may do absolutely nothing. But, I'm curious enough about it to take that gamble and see...

I would guess that since EFI bikes will likely be my future, one of these days, when I'm set up for it, and have the need, I'll end up using more advanced controller devices. Just not at that point at this time...
    Doctor T likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe that's the ECU diagnostic plug. If just looking for a key on power supply near the rear of the bike I'd look at the tail light circuit wiring. I'm wiring up some things on mine today and am currently tapping into the headlight plug wires in the bucket to supply the trigger circuit for a couple of relays that will be mounted under the tank near the front of the frame.
  6. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy, probably not a good idea to tap that for power then! I want to add some 20w (total draw) conspicuity lights for the front. A relay maybe overkill for them, but at the same time I don’t want to rob from the headlight. I read somewhere there’s an empty plug under the seat for a side stand buzzer that isn’t on the US bikes, so I wondered if this is it.
    Randy likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I could be wrong but I think that's what it is and why I wouldn't dink with it. I'm doing the same today, and while I don't really need a relay, I'm sure, I just prefer to run accessories off of a relay circuit with it's own fused power supply rather than tapping into existing circuits. Well, other than the trigger tap anyway.... I'm mounting both relays (one for LEDs, and one for my accessory SAE plug that will be used for my GPS charger) in the triangle of the mainframe just behind the headstock. And tapping into the headlight wires inside the bucket so I can minimize wiring length. Everything will be up near the handlebar/instrument area with the exception of the power supply wire running from the battery up to the relays. Lots of other ways of doing it, but this just made the most sense for my needs.
    systemic_anomaly likes this.
  8. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    Any Windows computer with a USB connection is all you need for anything but TPS recalibration, which is optional. You don't need to have the computer at the bike to look at or change maps, and it comes with the best map preinstalled, so you could plug and ride with no computer at all.
  9. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    I usually tap the taillight wires because they are easy to access and the relay can sit under the seat for some protection. For me a cheap source of relays and wiring harness is to buy a cheap set of LED aux lights at the auto parts store (often for less than $15) and discard the lights and use the wire, relay and switch.
  10. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too, I just checked my numbers, I got 90 mpg imperial on my African trip, not caning it, just steady in top most of the time.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I assumed there was related software needed to interface with the the controller in order to download, update, or modify maps in the controller's memory. Granted, I've never played around with one, but that was my assumption and wasn't sure how to even update and install a new map without first downloading it to a computer, then uploading it into the controller... So, how does it work without a computer interface software package?
  12. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    You install their tuning software on your computer. The maps can be downloaded from their website. You can look at and edit the maps and save it as a file.

You can unplug the PT ECU, bring it into the house, plug it into your computer using the supplied USB cable and upload or download a map to/from the PT. But it does come with the base maps preinstalled. The USB cable powers the PT ECU when it is off the bike.

Yes, you can plug a laptop into the PT on the bike and then run the tuning software while the bike is running and there are interactive screens and gauges that you can play with, but that is optional. And the bike can't be running when you upload a newer or edited map.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That's what I thought. And as I said, I CAN'T install non-work related software on the only computer I "own" as it is supplied by my company and managed by my IT dept. I don't have admin privileges and have to put in a help desk request to have IT install software. We have VERY strict security and would never approve of such software being installed on our computers. So, in order for me to be able to do ANYTHING other than plugging it into the bike, I'd be looking at spending another $1000+ to buy my own personal laptop. And yes, I know they can be had for less, but by the time I spec one out that I'd want to buy, add different software packages, etc, it gets up there.... That makes the PC/PT cost upward of $1300 in order to take advantage of any benefits that I'd want one for. One of these days I will do that. But as long as I have one supplied to me that serves every other function I need a computer for, it ain't happenin'. Just not worth it to me...
  14. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't in another country I would send you one of my old laptops. I've got three or four of them kicking around. And two desktops....
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only ever owned two computers in my entire life. An old Compaq way back in the day. Can't even remember what OS it used but it was an old arcane thing by today's standards, with like a 32 gig HD. Lol. And I have an old HP from back in the Vista days. Remember that TURD? And yet, I am a fairly intensive PC user that most always has one running just a few steps away at work and at home, and while on the road unless on a bike. I've just always had them provided for me so never had the need to spend my own money on them.
  16. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    This explains why you are able to seamless post during business hours ;)

I still have my first PC. 386/25 running OS2 and Windows 3.1. It cost north of $5000 in 1990 dollars. Can't bear to throw it out given how much I continued to spend on it upgrading, well, everything but the case.

I only recently upgraded our two ThinkPads to Win10. They were on Win7 for 9 years.

I have a small "Netbook" that you used to be able to buy for about $199 running Windows XP. It is dedicated to my Tiger Explorer and runs a freeware ECU software similar to DealerTool. Lets me balance the TBs and reset the service minder and bleed the ABS circuit etc.
  17. sqeeezy

sqeeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that TuneECU??, used that on my Bonnie, good software, I reckon somebody bright could work out how to use that on a keihin-ECU'd bike like a Himmie.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I've paid for a few motorcycles, or at least a lot of gear and accessories, with the money I haven't spent on computers, software, and related hardware over the years... Same with vehicles... Having a company vehicle has saved tons of money on gas, and mileage on my personal vehicles. I guess I've put about 3000-4000 miles on my 4Runner since buying it a year ago. My other vehicle, that was my primary before the 4Runner, is a 2003 Jeep Rubicon with around 70K on it. Guess ya gotta take the perks where you can find 'em....
    buckthedog likes this.
  19. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    No, this is a PowerTronic (branded) version of RTune on the Hima.

Edit: You probably were asking about the software I use on the Triumph. It is called TigerTool and was written by one of the inmates of the Explorer forum that I hang out on, who reverse-engineered the Explorer/Tiger 900 ECU.
  20. CaptainTrips

Oddometer:
    You need to go to your IT guy and tell them that you need RTune to "do some research into the effects of fuel additives on the combustive properties of ethanol and non-ethanol based fuels." ;)
    little ackman likes this.