Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. slownold

slownold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo of the buzzer we get on Australian bikes... which is damned annoying, I pulled mine out in the showroom on delivery :imaposer

It's at the back of the area under the main seat - the screw driver is sitting on it. It's only got a short cable. This should give you somewhere to start looking anyway. Mine's unplugged in this photo. I think the plug for it is just behind the plug to the left of the alarm itself (you can see it). Hope this helps.

Boy that's an old photo, it's so clean under there :lol2

Edit: It's just occurred to me that this might only have power when the side stand is down.

20200405_145550.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would that plug still be hot if the stand is up? Don't have the buzzer in the US so not sure how it functions or is wired...
  3. slownold

slownold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was the question I asked in my edit. Logic suggests it wouldn't be, but when it comes to electrickery, I still subscribe to the smoke theory.
  4. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that, is this a carb bike? Mine doesn’t have that exact plug, but it has this single-conductor pigtail hanging out under the RH bracket (middle of the pic). Unfortunately it’s neither grounded nor hot whether the side stand is up or down. Checked with both key on and off. IMG_1030.JPG
    slownold likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the plug that needs to be grounded to clear fault codes.

IMG_0798.JPG

I made a little ground pigtail that lives under my seat so it's always available. Works much better than dinking around with a loose wire as in the video. Other than that the video is spot on.

IMG_0797.JPG
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BBC website ran an article about Royal Enfield in its business section today. Many pictures of the soon-to-be-discontinued Bullet. One picture of the Continental GT (with some very odd photoshop effects around the edges; looks like it was awkwardly snipped out of an RE publicity shot), and the note that the 650 Interceptor is the best-selling middleweight motorcycle in the UK.

Interestingly, no mention of the Himalayan. Maybe it doesn't look "British" enough for the BBC, as the entire article seemed to be attempting to present RE as a "British-bred" enterprise rather than an indigenous Indian company.
    slownold likes this.
  7. little ackman

little ackman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy
    Hi Randy. I don't ride for economy either. I like to get out of the way of cars, and usual Highway speeds are 110 KPH, sometimes more if I'm not paying attention. It would make an interesting experiment to compare high speed fuel economy between the EFI and Carby versions.
  8. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sit behind the bike and use your foot to push on the spanner supplied in the kit and the nut comes off easy
  9. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the seat concepts tall. Rode a 6500 mile trip last summer and never had an issue with the seat. My friend has the regular height seat concepts and I thought it was uncomfortable.
    slownold likes this.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm likely not the best person with which to compare. I don't really do any high speed highway riding. Really spend most of my time on country backroads, and doing dirt/gravel. Backroads around here have a 55 mph limit at most, and some 45 mph. So I rarely run over 65, and typically lower. I just meant that I'm not gentle with the throttle, on or off road. I just ride for fun of it, so never even consider "taking it easy" in order to milk ever foot out of an ounce of gasoline. I was serious. The difference between 50 mpg and 75 mpg on a 250 mile day makes a difference in fuel cost of around $2 or so at the average cost per gallon where I live. Forget the exact numbers now, but the point was, if the 50 mpg bike is more fun than the 75 mpg bike, the $2 in extra fuel is a damn good deal to me as I spend more on things that bring much less joy than a full day of riding. :ricky

I guess that to those in places where gas is expensive and incomes are less, that must sound like "typical" American wasteful consumerism. And I appreciate that different cultures place value in different places. So, no offense intended to those that care about things like fuel economy. My perspective just is what it is, and I really just never even consider fuel economy when considering a motorcycle, or riding one.

The only time "economy" of fuel comes into play is when it relates to range. Having owned bikes with really small tanks (Sportsters with peanut tanks), knowing how many miles I can go on a full tank is worth caring about. Especially on a bike without a fuel gauge, and on which I use the odometer to gauge my fuel level. But, on a bike with a large enough tank, and/or a gauge, it's less of a concern. And living in the SE US, you're never really that far from a station, so range isn't a huge concern like it is for those out west. Where I typically ride it's probably pretty hard to ever be much more than 10-15 miles from a gas station most of the time, so with a gauge, I know when to stop at the next station I run across. I guess that's why I can't recall ever even checking the mileage on the Himalayan. Can't swear that I haven't, but if I did, it didn't stick because I don't really care much one way or the other. :dunno

I'll try to remember to check the next time I go for a ride long enough to run through a tank or more...

EDIT:

Thinking about the above, I guess it's sorta silly to have had a bike for 10 months and not even have an idea what the tank range is. :loco

I'll try to check my mileage soonish just so I'll know the range if I ever get in a pinch somewhere outside my normal area.
  11. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike came with the buzzer disconnected and a power feed taken using a matching plug to a USB outlet.
    Switch is in the earth line, so it is switched live, but anything powered from it best to have it's own earth.
    The wiring to it is the smallest I have seen on a bike so it might not be a good idea to connect anything which draws more than a GPS or a phone.
    But who knows, the rest of the wiring looks undersized to me too and it seems to work OK.
    slownold likes this.
  12. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did that to mine a few weeks ago. 5w LED DRL hanging from the bolt that clamps the front rack/frame to a crossmember, on each side. I replaced the hex bolt with a longer one and used a nyloc. Keeps them lower and wider as supposedly keeping the lights far apart improves visibility, so I read somewhere.
    IMG20201026141507.jpg

Attached Files:

LogHouseBikers and little ackman like this.
  13. Solera

Solera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2020 has no buzzer. Just a nag on the LCD pops up.
    slownold likes this.
  14. little ackman

little ackman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. little ackman

little ackman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mainly keep a check on all my vehicles for fuel consumption because any change is an early indication something is going wrong with the engine
    Beemerboff likes this.
  16. Doctor T

Doctor T Gruppy old git

Oddometer:
    My mate Adrian did this video a while back. It may help anyone how worries about how many miles you can do once the "F" starts flashing. Adrian, as he explains his type of riding style, is not dissimilar to mine. The most I've taken the bike once the "F" started to flash was 72 miles.
    little ackman and slownold like this.
  17. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, that’s where the previous owner mounted them on my bike, but they did a poor job of wiring. The power is taken from the little LED in the headlamp bucket using a wire tap (yuck), grounded at the oil cooler top mount, and then they used twist nuts (double yuck!) to connect the wires to the lights themselves. They only get about 9-10v this way instead of 11.5-12. Maybe that’s a reason why one burned out and one is on its last legs?

How did you wire yours up?
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a valid point, and one I've heard others reference as well. Definitely not a bad idea. Just not one that I've ever really put too much stock in for my needs. Not that it's not useful information. It's just that in all my years of riding motorcycles of different types, anytime there was a problem I noticed it in the way the bike behaved. Maybe I would have noticed a change in mileage too, IDK. But as I've never really kept that close of an eye on it, I've never detected it that way... Owning and riding multiple bikes I'd likely not be too good at keeping up with it unless I kept a regular log on each bike, pulled out my calculator, log book and pen, and wrote it down at each fuel stop. And I'm too lazy for that... :dunno
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm not sure the US bikes even have the plug for the buzzer. At least I've never noticed it on mine, and I've looked for a good keyed power supply under the seat to use for triggering a relay. Hmmm... Come to think of it, I could be wrong in that... If I did notice an unused plug I likely would have been afraid to mess with it since I didn't know what it was... :hmmmmm Maybe I should look again now that I know what I'm looking for...

And I've noticed the same thing with the wire gauges used on the bike. I guess RE saves some $ on copper... Every penny counts to the bean counters after all...

This is one reason I prefer running accessories through a relay. I prefer to get power to the accessories straight from the battery so they are more likely to get full voltage and current. Also, as Beemerboff mentioned, the wiring on this bike seems a little light to me so I prefer not adding any current draw to the bike's circuits directly. If I have a failure, I'd rather blow the fuse on the relay power supply circuit than overload one of the bike's wires. The relay's trigger circuit requires very little in the way of current so pretty much any keyed power source is sufficient with minimal danger of overloading the original circuit.
    Loadtoad101 and Beemerboff like this.
  20. johnny42

johnny42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want to save 12:49, he got 93 miles after the gauge started flashing. Knowing that gas isn't too far away, I usually go a bit over 200 before filling up.
    Loadtoad101 and Beemerboff like this.