Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. sam2019

sam2019 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The manufacture and ownership is currently indigenous. Wasn't always the case. Royal Enfield goes back to the mid 1800's The interesting part begins when they were making gas engined 3 and 4 wheeler's in the late 1890's. Got real interesting when they started making motorcycles in 1901. '54 is when the limited partnership with Madras Motors in Chennai was formed that lasted untill the parent company folded leaving the partner holding the bag of marble's. Worth mentioning that at one time Enield had like eight factories in the UK. Besides motorcycles they made stuff from residential lawn mowers to precision bomb sights for the Royal Airforce.
  4. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And making parts for the Royal Small Arms Factory producing sporting and military rifles. Hence the slogan "Made like a gun, goes like a bullet."
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pleasure!

FYI, I know BurnieM said he had to go in from the side but I managed to unplug and fit everything from the top. Maybe my fingers are more nimble than I thought!!:lol2
  6. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice set up!
  7. RCruiser

RCruiser Jus' Watchin'

Oddometer:
    sam2019 likes this.
  8. Mr Smee

Mr Smee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're feeling "flush" a set of PivotPegs can be fitted in a lower position. However, I think the better solution is to go up on the seat. Mine is now taller to the extent that it is almost level with a 1" (?) reduced height pillion seat. Means I can stretch further back and suits me much better on the legroom front.
    slownold likes this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, as others have suggested, mine were just some generic Yamaha mirror extenders that I purchased from Amazon.

Just one representative example:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-E...&sprefix=yamaha+mirror+ext,fashion,193&sr=8-1

What appears to be the exact same thing is sold under various ads at different prices. They're just cheap aluminum pieces that I've sure were manufactured in China, but they work well for my needs. They provide a better view to the rear as well as seem to have smoothed the airflow (buffeting) that was actually coming off of the mirrors rather than the screen. I used a bit of blue Loctite on the screws when I installed them, and the mirror haven't budged since.
    sam2019 likes this.
  10. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got in about 150 miles today, about 40 of that was gravel. Caught a bit of Zeta on the way home. Didn’t take my rain gear.,..
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  11. modiorne

modiorne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    34" inseam here as well, I did the footpeg rubber removal, the SC Tall upgrade and I bought a nice sheepskin. The sheepskin is so long, I can fold the front under (to prevent sliding up to the tank, and adjust the extra in the rear to move any hots spots that develop (rare). Many long rides, this setup working for me.
    Eatmore Mudd and slownold like this.
  12. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I originally put a Bead Rider cushion on top of my SC Tall upgrade, and found the beads allowed the (less than stock, but still present) slope of the seat to slide me forward so that my knees banged into the tank rails. Better, I guess, than what would happen on the GS, whose stock seat slid the family jewels up into the back of the gas tank! Anyway, I replaced the bead cushion with a piece of sheepskin I had laying around. This helped some, but I still slowly crept forward. Before my last trip to Wisconsin, I tried cutting a piece of foam from a yoga mat, about the size and shape of the "low point" on the forward part of the seat, and slipping it under the sheepskin. This almost entirely fixed the problem. I am thinking I might make up one of these with the foam glued to the underside of a piece of vinyl, so I could still use my Bead Rider cushion. Ah, winter projects...
  13. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This afternoon, I rode out to the newest Royal Enfield dealer in Illinois, Randy's Cycle in Marengo (not, far as I know, related to the Randy who posts on this board). Hoped to get an air filter, as I've been waiting for one at the big dealer 3.5 miles from my home since June. Alas, they too did not have a filter for the Himma (they had them for the 650s and maybe for the old Bullets). They did have sprockets, so I bought a set. I'm not urgently in need yet, but with 9200 miles on the bike, some tight/loose spots in the chain and asymmetry in the rear sprocket teeth just beginning to show up, I didn't want to find out come spring that replacements are backordered due to Covid in India! Didn't buy a chain because it's a generic product and there are lots of sources.

Really pleased to see Randy's picked up an Enfield franchise. This shop has been my go-to for service I didn't want to do myself for over 25 years. They used to sell Victory (until Polaris pulled the plug); now they carry Enfield, Zero (some day I am going to demo one of these electric bikes; I have resisted so far because I just know I'm gonna fall in love with 115 ft-lb of torque at zero rpm), Benelli, CF-Moto, SSR and Ural. So lots of interesting bikes to look at.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Stromas

Stromas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! Just got my 2021 so I'm officially joining this thread. :-)

REH2021A.jpg
    Kiwiscoot, BigIron, clinter and 6 others like this.
  15. slownold

slownold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got it eh? :clap
    Let the upgrades begin :D

Switchable ABS? Or hasn't that got through yet? (dealers in Australia don't expect to see it at all, let alone soon)
  16. Stromas

Stromas Adventurer

Oddometer:

It does have the switchable ABS which is one of the reasons I waited for the '21. I have added the headlight grill, accessory bar, and gas cans from SRC Moto. Have some more guards on the way from them and a Mosko Moto Reckless 40 system that I will be putting on the bike this coming weekend.
    slownold and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ScottFree: You may remember the mods I did to my seat to raise the front (Post # 16875). I've ridden it with this mod for over 3000 miles so far, with comfort.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's still no uniformity in certain aspects of the bike in all markets. I had assumed the 2021's here in the US would be like what's been being discussed for the past few months. Of the photos of the new to come bikes had surfaced previously, the one visible difference that was apparent from just a photo was the relocation of the header cat up higher near the head. But, in Stromas' photo above, the cat is still in the same place...

So, what are the differences between the 2020 and 2021, here in the States? Switchable ABS, right? Anything else?

This past weekend I started doing some wiring on mine that I had been putting off for a while. Wiring up some LED conspicuity lights, a switch, and on a separate circuit, a power outlet that will primarily be used for my Juiced Squeeze mount. Also plan on wiring in an ABS switch which is the most simple part of the whole thing. Should have gotten it all wrapped up by now, but I wasn't as productive over the weekend as I had hoped. And then I've been very busy with a major project at work since, so the bike still sits with the wiring partially installed, waiting for me to have the time to finish things up... I HATE wiring! :becca
  19. Stromas

Stromas Adventurer

Oddometer:

Switchable ABS, improved rear brake (which I can't confirm since this is my first Himalayan), and a slightly shorter side stand (apparently this was a problem before)...plus some new colors which didn't matter to me since I chose a previously existing color. I believe that's it.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remembered the shorter side stand too. And some had reported a hazard flasher function. Does yours have that as well?

The reason I mentioned the cat relocation is because that was the only visible difference that was readily apparent. But it appears the US bikes are still using the original exhaust.

I had read about the "improved rear brake" and thought, "Rear brake? Seriously? It's the FRONT brake that they need to be looking at!" Other than making the rear brake a little LESS powerful and touchy, I'm not sure what they could have done there... The front brake could use a serious upgrade, IMO, though.

The switchable ABS and shorter stand were the only new features that interested me, AFAIK.

I plan to add an ABS switch as, IMO, switchable ABS is needed off-road. Especially at the rear.

And yeah, the original side stand was too long and it took care when parking and getting off the bike to make sure the suspension extended enough so that the bike wouldn't topple over to the right. I already shorted my side stand, making it adjustable in length in the process, so I can dial it to my liking for suspension settings, different tire profiles, luggage loads, etc... The new colors are good to have, but personally, I'd still choose the same color that I have over anything offered.

I would assume the new models also likely have a few smaller, unannounced "upgrades" in areas to address previous issues discovered by warranty claims and complaints. Not that I've had any issues with my 2020, but hopefully, each successive model year will eliminate the little niggly things that some have on their bikes....