Royal Enfield Himalayan Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Anthiron, Sep 2, 2017.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about homologation rules is that every major market has its own standards. Consequently, you would likely not find any two models to be identical in different markets. For example, we didn't get LED turn signals on BMWs when the EU did.
    whysub likes this.
  2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And reworked branding on the side covers. :)
  3. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dumped the bike yesterday for the first time in 1000+ miles of trail riding. Soft mud hole (made by ATV tracks no doubt), close to sunset, and with no water or food on me, it took me completely by surprise. I was so anxious to get the bike out of the trail and back onto the nearby road that I forgot to take a pic. No damage done, but its interesting to note that the gear lever moved upwards and just toggled the linkage with no harm to the gear shaft or the pull/push rod. Got lucky because early on, I had added a 8mm hex key to the OEM toolkit, which you need to undo the bolt holding the gear lever to set it back into position - there's other ways but this is definitely the easiest!

Wonder if this toggling is by design - if so, its brilliant! Has anyone bent these parts?
    View attachment 2625458
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since the pic above isnt showing up for some reason:

IMG_1042.jpg
  5. Stromas

Stromas Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yep, they did add the hazard flasher as well. Used it just yesterday when a fly decided to park in my ear while I was riding home from work...
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say if this is by design, or just a happy coincidence. But, yours isn't the first I've seen like that. Someone posted a very similar photo sometime back...

And speaking of gear shift levers, is there an aftermarket version available with a folding tip?
  7. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yup. Bent the shifter, the brake pedal and brake lever all on one 10 mile stretch within the first 300 miles. No biggie, just bent the foot pedals back outward and went ahead and finished snapping the brake lever off making it a 2.75 finger shorty.

Ok, I'm back. My thoughts on the brake & shifter pedals at the time were low buck budget parts to make the price point and I'll upgrade later.
    The episode above changed my mind on that. Being able to straighten 'em on the trail...light bulb moment. I don't have have to carry spares. Now my opinion is billet or forged would be a downgrade not an upgrade. It's possible somebody on the design was thinking ahead and hit two birds with one stone. They saved the factory a buck or two and enabled us to carry less crap.
  8. jcw64

jcw64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No experience of that, but I've found the stock handlebars to be soft as putty. I laid my bike down on a driveway the first time I left it on side stand with the engine running. Caught the bike before it hit the deck, but not soon enough to be able to haul it back up. Just the weight of the bike on the bar end slider was enough to bend the left handlebar down approx. half an inch. Didn't notice it for weeks, until I took a good look at the bike head on in the garage with a broom handle laid across the grips! I've since removed the bar ends and fitted hand guards, which may, or may not add a little extra strength.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  9. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a guy on the English Himalayan Facebook page that makes a slightly longer gear lever with folding tip. Cannot find his details right now.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  10. jcw64

jcw64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2020 UK Himalayan has switchable ABS, but no hazard switch. Would really have liked that, since my daily ride is commuting in and out of Central London with miles of filtering (lane-splitting). It's another reason I removed the bar-end sliders!
    Stromas likes this.
  11. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum!
    Stromas and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  12. Mr Smee

Mr Smee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had exactly the same result when I dumped mine on the road. Not enough throttle; engine stalled; I'm lying under the bike. When I'd restored everything back, I couldn't believe how the gearchange had got into that position! Unfortunately I didn't have any tools but was close to home. Cue "walk of shame" back. Always carry tools now! So toggling does seems to be a fortunate design feature.
    systemic_anomaly likes this.
  13. Mr Smee

Mr Smee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is! UK RE Group (on Facebook; closed group) has a member Ben Wood who has 'em/makes them. Have one fited to my bike. Nicely done.
    Gear lever.jpg
    Want me to find out if he ships "Internationally"?
  14. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He seems very secretive about the price, so much so that I'm almost afraid to ask! :yikes :lol2

Are you prepared to say how much they are?
  15. slownold

slownold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ask him if is ships to Australia - a clumsy rider wants to know :(

Seriously, it's the sort of kit I'd add to my bike.
  16. Mr Smee

Mr Smee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think he's being secretive, just that as he gets/orders/produces new stock, prices may change is what I assumed. Price to me at beginning of September was £39.99. Not "Chinese cheap" I know, but is good quality and is just what I needed. Very satisfied with it.
    To answer the inevitable question - centre to centre distance is 135mm and footrest to folding tip is 145mm. Apparently this is 15mm over stock length
    BurnieM, HaveACuppaTea and slownold like this.
  17. slownold

slownold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm being thick (not unusual), but do you have a link? I'm interested in getting one.
  18. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing he can sell plenty internationally. I’d take one in the US.
  19. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list. I don’t do FB though.....
  20. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of folding tip changers around for chink prices - wouldn't be a hard to cut off both tips and reweld the folding one on to the orig.
    If you can't weld Mt Barker steel didn't charge me when he welded up my adjustable side stand while I waited, but I am a regular.
    Might not even need welded, you could overlap them and screw them together with a few csk head screws, sticking out a bit further usually helps you get your size 12's under the tip too.
    slownold likes this.