1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Klrdave650, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jacqui's words -
    image.png
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beet likes this.
  3. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice but they still refuse to do something about those forward solid foot pegs.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  4. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a hint if you have or are buying a new RE. Drop the oil very early before the recommended 500ks. Possibly better still drop the oil before riding. Reason - the oil they seem to use is shit in my opinion. Did the recommended on my new GT and it looked and felt like it had been in for years. Also drop it a few extra times before the recommended 6,000ks. One guy in club did his at 100ks, 300ks, 1,400ks and now regularly at 2,000ks. Could be a bit over the top but good clean oil and filter is the life blood. Just a hint, do with it as you want.
    Webman, 59DEN, Eatmore Mudd and 2 others like this.
  5. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems the new 650 twins have finally arrived in Australia. Haven't seen one myself but I'm told there's a Continental getting around Gympie. Don't know how many are available as apparently the owner had long pre-ordered it. My mate who told me about it (It's probably safe to say he's old school...his concession to modernity is a unit construction early 60s Tribsa) paid it what I took to be a high compliment..."looked alright", though he did also say that he thought they should really have called it the Sub-Continental.

If I hadn't recent experience with being limited to the tar, I'd be tempted myself.
  6. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I was looking over a 650 twin last Friday
    They are very agricultural looking and would take a bit of work to keep looking good
    The engine side covers and other alloy bits do not appear to be coated and would need polishing
    The one I saw was at the Port Macquarie dealer and was looking tarnished from being parked at the front of the shop in the weather
    price I think was $9900 ride away
    Personally I prefer the look of the 500s
  7. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    I crawled over the display 650's at the island classic last year and really developed a soft spot for their old school charm.
    Webman, Dean Ohlin and Richarde1605 like this.
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I crawled all over both in Sydney.
    Both looked great, and yes they park bikes out the front.
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  9. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    think i'm falling in love......not with the bike
    dunc, Simosez and Webman like this.
  10. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another great ride on Winnie some 400klm sitting on 98-100klmh. Then a day ride with the locals on their 500s passing many of then to my joy. Then riding home the 400ks still sitting on 98-100( truth I did a bit more on some good down hills) all my lights blow about 6ks from home. Was rather heart stopping riding in the moon lite not knowing if a roo was in one of the many shadows. Great ride and such respect for the little 350, getting close to 50,000ks and not a spanner in anger.
    59DEN, GSXR, laurient and 3 others like this.
  11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, though I see a test light in the near future...
  12. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:

Overall Beet, that's a pretty sad indictment of the factory if they can't even be bothered putting decent oil in a newly built bike. Difference in price for 2-3 litres of good quality vs. the cheapest oil, is probably only $10 - surely the profit margins on the bike are not that slim??
  13. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Why don’t the dealer still get onto it and just do a thorough pre delivery, putting in a decent oil before it leaves the shop ?
    It’d do wonders for the reputation of the bike AND any dealer prepared to go just that little bit more to move the product.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    It might be slow, heavy, useless off road. But if it was all that and reliable I would buy it!
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The factory puts conventional ( non synthetic ) break in oil in them. Run it as prescribed, dump it and wait two or three thousand miles before switching to full synthetic and your good to go. At least that's been our experiences with my former pre unit trail Bullets and Mrs. Mudds '09 EFI 500. Speaking of which a dude in town want's to trade me his EFI 500 for one of my Jeeps and another dude has offered me a pre unit... Whats that saying ? prodigal sons something something ?
  16. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to answer that and I may be out of line but SLOW - is relative, HEAVY - their that low to the ground it's not an issue, so easy to ride and put on centre stand, USELESS OF ROAD - I've been lots of off road, dirt, mud etc. it's a great motor and set up for enjoying the day, RELIABLE - near on 50,000ks and I've hammered it, never put a spanner on her in anger. Changed oil very regularly.
    buckscreek likes this.
  17. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    No way would I wait or recommend waiting 2 or 3 THOUSAND MILES to change oil after the first drop. And running fully synthetic sounds fine in theory, try getting that out bush in Australia while traveling.
  18. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    No man, run the factory recommend oil after the first drop and change it as well ften as you want to 3,000 miles before switching to full synthetic is what I was saying.
  19. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming home from a ride the other day it turned into nite. I noticed the tail light was out, so I connected the brake lite to stay on with a cable tie. All good, then closer to home I needed to use the high beam a lot. Well I must have over loaded the main lite fuse as all went out some 6ks from home. Made an interesting ride in the semi moon lite hoping there where no Roos or road works in the many shadows I rode through. All safe at home I dropped the oil to drain overnite. Next day, yes as I thought the fuse in the head lite was blown plus the rear globe. All fixed. Ready for another adventure.
    numbaphive, Webman and Flodder like this.
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to do the India thing for a month and I'm wondering if it might be worth me taking a few tools over to supplement the bike's tool kit. Anyone like to suggest anything?

Cheers,

Adrian
    Webman likes this.