Royal Star Owners??

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Sean Smith, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am buying a 05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe this weekend.
    Any of the inmates have one or every had experience with this bike.

I love the look and the ride is as good as my Ultra if not better.

Just thought I would start up something new.
  2. squirley

squirley punk in drublic

Oddometer:
    My dad has one, loves it. Runs and runs and runs, no problems. Sounds cool with that v four and the finish has held up to some long brutal trips. You won't regret your purchase.
  3. The Dirty One

The Dirty One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had a tour deluxe. rode it all over.put about 37,000 miles on it in just a few years,awesome bike for eating up asphalt and dependability.
    i`ve also had a several ultras but the tour deluxe was as reliable as an anvil and the ride was easy to stay on for hours/days on end.

put a rear tire on a customers tour deluxe this week and the test ride after had me wondering wtf i was thinking when i sold mine.:huh
  4. fhowell55

fhowell55 poser

Oddometer:
    Sean, i have a Royal Star Venture (the fully faired one), also an '05.
    37,000 trouble-free miles. i've seen this gen Venture on eBay, with 165,000 miles, more than once!!

PO put factory Road King (yes) mufflers on it; as in take-off /slip-ons.!!
    they sound awesome, not overly loud, but perhaps a bit more rumble.
    and on acceleration, sounds like a small-block V8. the slash cut looks
    perfectly aligned with the 45-degree downward angle of the rear fender /hardbags..

I did a 2500 mile trip thru OK TX NM and AZ last fall, and we spent a lot
    of time in the mountains. Nobody ran off and left me-- not that they didn't try, but the big V-4 has so much torque coming out of corners, even if they
    have faster cornering speed, i gained coming out and on the straights.

Of the big tourers, i don't think there's a bike made on this continent which can keep up with you, if that's your bag.

most comfortable stock seat in all of cycledom, and i've sampled 20 - 25 different makes /models as an owner. example, the stock Valk seat SUCKS compared; i've owned both.
    stock Road Star (road star, not Royal Star) seat will send you straight to the Mustang Seat site.

i'll tell you how much i like the Venture. i have the big faired one with a trunk, and if i had the $$ i'd buy a Venture Tour Deluxe (Road King style) as a 2nd bike. whazzat tell ya?!?
  5. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother has one and it is a beautful bike.
    Just be aware that at slow speeds it is one top heavy pig!
    I am sure you get used to it...but once again...a lovely bike...for a bagger that is...surely not in the same league esthetically as my WeeStrom.:lol3
  6. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I have the Royal star Venture with 82000 miles on it. It felt top heavy at first but after my first 2500 mile trip it didn't feel that way any more. Here it is at the Aerostich VBR Rally in Duluth,MN. I personally saw 4 BMW dual sports on their sides trying to get to this spot to set up camp in 2 hours. Of course there were hundreds of BMWs there and only a couple of Ventures. I love the bike. It is very smooth. It handles corners decent down to about a 20 MPH corner and then it starts wallowing pretty bad. You might notice the jug of antifreeze. I threw something into the radiator in IA on the way up and patched it with JBweld. The radiator has since been replaced and a grill installed.
    [​IMG]
  7. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am glad that there are other ADV guys that like this bike.
    I feel like it all just fell together.
    I wanted to get something cheaper than the Ultra and wasn't sure how far down I wanted to go and couldn't find a good Harley that was cheap enough with out giving up a lot.
    Then while on vacation at the beach I just started looking at CL and found this 05 for $7K. w/ 5200 miles and it is perfect.
    I haven't been this excited about a bike since well the last bike:D .

I will post pic's when I pick it up this weekend.
    80F this weekend and no humidity!!! yes!!!
  8. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    There is a very good site dedicated to the first generatin Venture,the Royal Star, The Royal Star Venture, and the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It has a page dedicated to known problems,( which all motorcycles seem to have).
    The URL is venturerider.org. It was free for a long time but the man that started it got cancer and had to start charging to help with expenses. It is only 12.00. You can vist and read the info for free.
  9. BruceI

BruceI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never had a Royal Star tour deluxe. But have ridden 287,000 miles on four Ventures that I've owned. I obviously think their a great bike. There is also a Web base club called the Venturers that is a good source of information.
  10. concours

concours WFO for 44 years

Oddometer:
    I like mine... threw 20,000 miles on it in two years. The engine is kinda week down low, remember to rev it up. Brakes are old school, not real strong. Air suspension works great. I thought the original seat was shaped wrong. Marginal alternator output. It can be hustled down a windy road quite well, if you're not intimidated by 800 lbs. :lol3
  11. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Thats right. These bikes need to be run at higher RPMs than Vtwins to show their power.
  12. concours

concours WFO for 44 years

Oddometer:
    Remember to lube the driveshaft splines and wheel hub splines at every tire change with the proper Moly paste, Honda sells a good one, I use Molykote 77.
    5th gear is an overdrive and stay away from it unless your flat road cruising at 55 or more, any load or hills 65 or more... it's really TALL!!
  13. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was offered one by a dealer. I wished I'd realised it was a V4, I would have taken it instantly. I got worried when he dropped the asking price by a grand even during the phone call.......and he was a mate!

Finally, 6 years and 4 bikes later (I get bored easy......), I have something very similar in the shed now, and cost me bugger all compared to a used Venture, and with only 10K miles (I've noticed all Ventures seem to do about 20K KM a year for about......well forever really)

I have a 1987 Vmax, Jap import, to which I've added a gearsack rack on a home made frame, highway pegs on custom mounts, a bloody HOOOGE headlight off a 1970's Harley (with a modern insert and hi-output globe), a 4.5" spotlight (just in case.....), a cruiser front mudguard to keep the wet clay out of the radiator, and a bloody ginormous screen.

Next on the list is an "Indian-style" rear mudguard, whitewalls, and saddlebags made up to tie down to the front frame brace.

Damn it sounds good when you smoke those pesky V-Rods too.......:smile6
  14. Joel mark

Joel mark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 08 new last july, I have put 9,000 miles on it so far. These things just love to eat highway miles, a little hot around town but that would be my only complaint. Its a keeper.
  15. 2000RSV

2000RSV Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer:
    Great bike. +1 on venturerider.org. (I am RedRider on there) Best $12/yr you can spend. Easy bike to work on, better bike to ride.

I have a 2000 Venture with 84000 trouble free miles. Done a handful of LD rallies with it and it has never let me down.

A few items to note:

1) This is a V4. Rev it up to get performance. If you ride it like a V-Twin it will bog. There is a rev limiter on it so you can't hurt it.

2) It is a little cumbersome at slow speed handling. This can be fixed with a skinnier front tire or raising links (diamond R - about $80) - not both.

3) Some folks swear by the stock seats (especially the pillow top version). However, there are aftermarket seats for this bike made by Mustang, Russell, Corbin, Roadsofa (don't remember the actual brand), and a few others.

4) This bike has 4 carbs instead of fuel injection. Attend one of the venturerider.org maintenance days to get your carbs sync'd. The Morgan CarbTune is about $100 if you want to do it yourself. Or you can just bring a 12 pack of cheap beer to the MD. It take about 15 minutes to do - and dealers are generally poorly equipped and/or experienced to work on multicarb bikes.

I love my Venture and will run it until it falls apart. With its current track record, I will fall apart first.

J