RPB scouting the Nova Scotia back country.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rarepartbuilder, Sep 8, 2018.

1. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks

I have a side project i have been working on for a couple of years in trying to conjoin loaded bike do- able trails that will lead from Fredericton New Brunswick to Sydney Nova Scotia... {and trust me... i am not leaving many rocks unturned}....to hopefully be considered as a future TCAT offering.

In respect for the thread rules i won't go into any more background...... but will say... it is a two step forward and one step back process because of roads meeting the big loaded bike criteria a previous year ..then washed out almost beyond any use the next year { and too far from suburbia for DOT to care or repair}.

ok to get started.. i am going to rewind to July as the Nova Scotia scouting reports are interconnected to each other.....

July 5th 2018

Very lucky to have both great weather and time to do some more trail scouting in the Truro to Canso zone .. They say that some things comes in threes... and this was one of those days..but more about that later...

I try to find that fine line of the road less travelled .. but still get the bike back home in one piece {or better}... otherwise i could load up the snowmobile or quad routes on the GpS and hit go ...but that is not the reality of dual sport... especially a loaded bike , traversing area's.... miles from suburbia and home.
    This ride is about all that in one mixing pot .. with the worse case scenario {hopefully} .. using those shoes you see on the back of the bike to hike out and away from a bad choice.. or just bad luck.
    To back up a bit ...last year on this same quest i tried a route north of the 104 leaving Truro first at Chisholm road = FAIL

[​IMG]20170809_174858 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

same thing on the MacKenzie Settlement road in Upper North River..... ended up into a tractor / wood hauling trail...

[​IMG]20170809_182504 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Sooooo... i made another track last winter but a South of the 104 start....... everything looks good on paper "eh"

[​IMG]Truro to Cans N. S . by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

..not shown... in the morning i added a couple of bail points /way points on the track...{at New Glasgow and Antigonish} that would at least give me something to shoot for for when i needed to turn my attention to fuel food or time constraints.

Left Sackville New Brunswick @ 10:30 AM...

[​IMG]20180705_111415 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Fast fwd 1+ hour....DId the Masstown market food & fuel up then finally hit my planned trail head only a 10 minute ride from the Truro Agricultural college.. stopped to fire up the GPS...

[​IMG]20180705_143600 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

the slab quickly turned into gravel... then from the odd home to abandoned farm parcels.... love these windy roads...

[​IMG]20180705_145025 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180705_145043 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

chugged along for about a 1/2 hour,,, then at the first track "turn" ... enter "profanity of choice " here.

[​IMG]20180705_150707 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

I knew from my homework,, the discovered /gated road was the best way..... to keep heading east... oh well..straight ahead didn't look that bad...

[​IMG]20180705_150714 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

i had two promising choices.... for anyone who dives into this activity... sometimes those dotted lines that stop short of a destination {getting back on the track} have quad trails and the like joining area's missing on the GPS ... right???/

first retry ended up in someone's yard and looped around a large pasture with cable on the far end...

[​IMG]20180705_151519 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

This buddy... nosey little bugger... and about as much help as discussing shop problems with the dog...

[​IMG]20180705_151509 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

.. next GPS track re- connection attempt ... un buried culvert.. laying on an un-ditched clearing... oh its only 30 c ...ffs.... the front wheel then back sinks in the moss when i go to turn around,,

[​IMG]20180705_154954 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180705_155004 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Got re-assembled under a shade tree.. and found one last possibility scrolling around on the tablet.. un-eventfully rode about 25 kms to get back on to my planned track...mind you up to this point.. it's only been one strike,, the gate.
    Meeting the horse and an unlaid culvert/ dead end just part of the ride .

At least i am back on track... its only 5pm lots of daylight left from the side shows... The gps was also recording the "new" track...

[​IMG]20180705_172013 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Lansdown road.... ummm... I am always thankful for beaver dams on the "upstream" side of the road... not so lucky this day...

[​IMG]20180705_162942 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

At least the little bugger was frugal in his stock selection..

[​IMG]20180705_163028 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

did some poleing around... good bottom... check mark there..

[​IMG]20180705_163930 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

pulled the plug before i wondered to the other end...

[​IMG]20180705_164440 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

lots of things go through one's mind... 400 pound cow... i mean kaw... the time spent circumnavigating the gate... the bale waymark for New Glasgow... ffs... make a plan just do it :lol3

[​IMG]20180705_163153 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

good to see that in the rear view...

[​IMG]20180705_164835 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

stay tuned.... there is a blue line crossing the GPS screen on the road ahead....:jjen

Bill
    Amphib, sick_boy, jackalsour and 6 others like this.
  2. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Truro to Canso July 5th ....."cont'd "...

As with most reports.. i ram something into the head set while i patch this all together...

After the beaver dam... the stretch ahead was a bit wet.. but at least no bottomless ruts in my immediate future... check mark .

[​IMG]20180705_164840 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

stopped to do the big view on the GPS after cresting the next hill ...terrain was dipping back down pretty quick...I could see that the abandoned road crossed over a bright blue patch on the tablet screen... "ummm" I thought ....based on the width of the road offerings....

[​IMG]20180705_165048 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Enter the last challenge... at least it was for me as a solo pilot,,,

[​IMG]20180705_165252 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Back when... the submerged logs were some one's great grand dad's attempt at a bridge..... although the span was only 5 feet wide... the honking water hole was at least 3 deep... about the 1/3 mark on the bridge from the left the old school logs dipping into the darkness... the vertical poles to the far left driven into the creek bottom to prevent the crossing materials from floating down stream.... grabbed some rope scraps i had to tie the far right planks "together"... There was no way i would get out of this..or i should say get the bike out of this... if it turned into a failed attempt....

reality check.....???
    a parallel log crossing i did in 2016 on a 100 lb lighter bike ... where what i thought was "stable" opened up and allowed the bike to drop into a quickly made cavity,,..trying to stand in a ditch to get the bike unwedged..more like dragged out,,. ..so that image was very clear .

[​IMG]20160725_164027 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

... good to carry rope or sacrificial ratchet strap "eh"

[​IMG]20180705_165451 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

.....opened up nicely.. the alternating kind of terrain changes i look for...

[​IMG]20180705_170159 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180705_172610 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

:doh but i am heading east....:nod

[​IMG]20180705_172313 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

I hit my 1st bail point..near the small community of Hopewell N.S. the shadows were starting to get long,,, work at 5 AM tomorrow...:eek7... 175 kms from home via the sunrise trail,,, snapped a picture of the post office but at that point didn't notice the lady to the left...

[​IMG]20180705_180108 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

She thought the stopped bike was either broke down or lost... and came by to tell me her husband could lend some navigation advice,,,a long conversation ensued when i mentioned the Translab in Labrador being eventually /totally paved .. my quest to make a big bike doable translab replacement route in the maritimes as the new section/ portion of the canadian TCAT trail....

Her Labrador spin... was ... from a much different perspective ... growing up there as a child and having to attend a residential school...

beautiful energy sure prevailed from what was described as darker days in her youth....

[​IMG]20180705_180701 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Stellarton ...was it going to be ice water of coffee first..??? The hydration pack had much earlier turned to sauna water...

[​IMG]20180705_182848 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

and home typical Sunrise trail....

[​IMG]20180705_194046 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180705_194450 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

chuckled at this.... but have to say.. place was neat as a pin..

[​IMG]20180705_194436 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

... 439 kms of dual sport goodness in total.. think we will be toting the tent next section "eh"

[​IMG]20180705_215631 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

thanks for stopping by the thread.. Aug 27 & 28th report next... stay tuned....

Bill
    PFD023, sick_boy, Clipper and 4 others like this.
  3. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Aug 27th 2018... ... back drop... couldn't get the bike loaded quick enough,,,,,

Back in early July i had scouted the first stage of a three section adventure that goes from Truro to Canso NS via a homemade/ planned gpx file concocted on google earth last year around christmas time. ...The route stage 1 was successful albeit a gated road was my biggest obstacle to navigate around via roads to Moose lake ...
    Fast forward to August 27th... I had exchanged texts for possible meet spots a week earlier with a riding buddy from Tatamagouche NS then made a plan to meet him at the Lake road in Wentworth NS . Two days before the ride i received a message that he had to bail from the ride do to work obligations on the rock {NFLD / Lab }. Not being the news i wanted to hear.. summer winding down... anticipation of what adventure may lay ahead.. i decided to do the run solo... it was show time..

[​IMG]20180827_100948 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Leaving Sackville i crossed the high marsh road...as part of my "keep it in the dirt strategy" for the entire ride....the freshly cut hay and round bales were almost intoxicating with the sweet aroma of the summer ends...

[​IMG]20180827_102909 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180827_102921 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Just west of Oxford... my right pannier was starting to rattle away from the steel dirt rack... there is an fabricated aluminum mount plate inside the box to strengthen the attachment point.. when i mounted the pannier i had only threaded the bolt into the plastic side case.. so when i went to tighten the t -bolt the situation resembled a stripped nut... was thankful it was a human problem and not mechanical,,, This momentarily brought me back to the anxiousness i felt before leaving home.... :augie

[​IMG]20180827_114141 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

....... stopped to fill the pie hole just after exiting the TCH quad trail in Oxford besides a bag of poker mix nuts and a coffee later this would be the last food stop before setting up camp ...

[​IMG]20180827_122018 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180827_154932 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

ok.... i did up a quick sketch of how things go south when you encounter "gates" {as in the July encounter}....

I was driving by what i have labeled info house {already on the "alternate locked gate route "green line" } when buddy in the second last house was out in his yard... i circled back ..mentioned the gate... he directed me to choke cherry lane to bypass the gate. This lead me back into scout mode instead of steaming forward on the longer "green line" work around... thank you very much....

[​IMG]mooselake revamp by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180827_151954 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Just before getting to the beaver dam road... I stopped to air down the TKC 80 tire i had mounted just previous to the ride ... ffs... fork seal seeping.. have to keep an eye on that... I used the credit card strip/ trick to circumvent the still mounted seal in case it was a small pc of dirt causing the leak...

[​IMG]20180827_161112 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Since back in July...

[​IMG]20180705_165303 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

There has been humanoid activity on beaver dam road... the dam was dry since i unplugged it ... ... yup... but human activity... better?? or worse??

[​IMG]20180827_161808 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

I contemplated trying to walk the bike across... ride..... ffs.... my over active mind could see a dumped bike with the handlebars hanging down into the open center area... i ended up "driving" across the far right guard rail .. about 3/4 way across slow mo balance required me to steer to the right.. i could feel a tip over starting so i gunned it..with no issues... did stop later to see if maybe if underwear maintenance/change was required.

[​IMG]20180827_172358 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Just past New Glasgow.and fueled up.. new to me territory.....

[​IMG]20180827_174730 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

way point for a route change/ future circumvent... doubt this will be here much longer... passable today for a bike though...

[​IMG]20180827_173039 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

this was enroute on a marked road.. having no trespassing signs seemed redundant.. :dunno

[​IMG]20180827_174930 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180827_175219 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180827_175356 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

the shadows are starting to get long..... i talked to my partner later in the day ..and discribed this moment like when the dog at home is circling looking for a place to lay down.... and besides the salad was pretty well processed by now.....

[​IMG]20180827_183813 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

was looking for that perfect set up to stealth camp..... you know the quiet spot with a brook...
    instead a few blueberry fields started to unfold next to the road... still with berries and bear shit everywhere.. :fpalm ....:baby...:lol3

[​IMG]20180827_190501 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

.. i kept going... . finally at 20 to dark o clock... i take a side road and check the GPS to see what the eye candy view was "Brora Lake"

[​IMG]20180827_192100 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

i'd be loving Mr. Noodle about now....

[​IMG]IMG_20180827_200633 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20180827_200432 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Trying out the new typhoon canopy on the hammock. so far i like it a lot....

[​IMG]IMG_20180827_195941 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Was a good day..... found the new connector outside Truro... got a good eye opener on crossing 10 or 12 foot guard rail bridge... and its dark. Ready to conk out in the hammock then... a whole band of Coyotes start that yelping, howling ..screeching racket maybe 1/2 km from my camp spot... already had the bear spray in the hammock top pouch in case i was the human burrito for a bear....... that would at least work on the pack i thought..then passed out.... :bore

stay tuned and i will finish this up shortly

Bill
    sick_boy and jackalsour like this.
  4. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Aug 28th

Hammock camping was so much better than a tent.. being able to stretch the legs out into the small zone at the end area .... no pressure point feelings ..a good experience all the way around.

Was awake about an hour before sunrise... lots of thoughts...on my mind.. whether/if my chosen route would be big bike passable today...would my good luck continue? :dunno... Hadn't really made a good breakfast plan but i did have a bag of poker nut mix and a apple to tide things over until the next stop in Antigonish zone....

[​IMG]20180828_064254 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_084510 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

lots of solitude... and surprise views...

[​IMG]20180828_091453 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

weather station ...

[​IMG]20180828_091503 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Stewart Lake near Ashdale

[​IMG]20180828_092953 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

I had made a bail point /waypoint for Antigonish... on North heading highway 7.. but opted to keep heading east... after all the bike is a fuel tanker anyway....

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/St...debfe92c8d2c39!8m2!3d45.4770337!4d-62.0315655

[​IMG]20180828_093056 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

The light breaky was pretty much burnt off.... turned off the route and stopped at a seasonal greenhouse and friendly looking yard to find nearest fuel and food stop directions... i got pointed to Saint Andrew's... I thought cool i have an Uncle who temporarily fills in there as a priest on some weekends since his retirement....:pope

[​IMG]20180828_104007 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

... over to the general store... lol. two old girls working the cash/ till .. i gathered and nuked pizza burgers for my brunch... get up to the cash and pay..

then the conversation...
    me {grinning} :"who is going to church on Sunday ? "
    1st clerk {enthusiastically speaking for the two of them} " both of us" with a smile
    me: "tell father Charles the biking nephew was into Saint Andrew's.... he doesn't know i am in your area"
    1st clerk: {both giddy and excited to be bringing gossip /news to the next post mass departure} " oh yess... he will be surprised to hear this coming from us" :lol3

I am thinking.... if only life were so simple "eh" :-)

[​IMG]20180828_102325 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_110026 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

...Antigonish Guysborough road just outside Roman Valley.. I have never rode the Translab.. but this wide/long gravel road would likely fit the same description ...

[​IMG]20180828_112952 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

always somebody watching..... These guys are great observers... was peeking out from the last photo so i investigated...

[​IMG]20180828_113134 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

abandoned Store near Boylston

25cents a litre.. thats been out of service for awhile...

[​IMG]20180828_114943 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Was hitting the home stretch of conjoined roads.... i had viewed some questionable terrain on google earth when i made my navigation file for this area ...... i hoped that was "seasonal"... on this last road in my mainland crossing endeavour..

[​IMG]20180828_115731 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

check mark... fuel tanker friendly

[​IMG]20180828_120849 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

about 20 k's in... passed a woods choppings then like day light to dark... oh crap....

[​IMG]20180828_121447 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

gotta love those cross sticks completely across the pathway... i wonder if they are to help speed up a soft area freeze in winter ??

[​IMG]20180828_123412 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

i hiked further down the trail which went to soggy grass then back into water .... this was the end of the line for a Pirate Harbor connector

[​IMG]20180828_123429 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

hiking into the swamp trail to see if there was "hope" ,.... trying to see the tablet with flies buzzing... bugs biting ... needed to find some shade to gawk at the tablet for a re-route.. it's only like 30 + c here in the sun...FFS

[​IMG]20180828_123810 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

fast forward.. 1 hour...

[​IMG]20180828_134557 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_134623 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_134604 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_141350 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Only a short way to the Canso Causeway... but a long way from home... mission completed and time to head back.... early afternoon,,, i decided to put the gps on "bicycle route" to get something other than slab for the ride back to home in Sackville NB...
    .. rode happily to Antigonish for lunch on dirt ... just ahead of my bike two young bucks had bicycles and heading for NFLD ferry.. we conversed about our travels the told them about the coyote pack howling near my campsite... one of the lads said .. "what did you do pack up and leave?" :confused .. fork seal was still leaking but much less....

[​IMG]20180828_153311 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

"bicycle route" on GPS.. RPB likes....
    i was being funneled down the North side of the Mount Thom windmill farm..... this was deep into James River wilderness area...

I spoke with a guy looking at the view on a quad... he said there is only a foot /hike accessible waterfalls deep into the gorge that he as a local had not been to yet.. sooo future food for thought huh... interesting facts on the plateau HERE

[​IMG]20180828_164841 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20180828_164851 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

trail leaving was as steep washed out and windy as Crooked Creek N.B. decent.. thank god the road was only washed out and not peppered with the Albert county rock gardens back home...i would of been fooked on the KLR tanker... :doh:muutt
    [​IMG]20180828_164902 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

last gravel in Ardness before home slab stretch and work the next day... :(: PEI at 2PM location in the haze..

[​IMG]20180828_170604 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

4 kms short of 800 km run..... The Truro to Canso zone is plugged full of roads... enough so a return trip could easily be made "off road" on a very different set of trails...

[​IMG]20180908_002758 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Thanks for tagging along... now to concoct a Canso Causeway to Sydney Cape Breton big bike doable route ... on the dirt...I'll be ready when my train pulls in....:thumb
    sick_boy and Klay like this.
  5. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Sept 28th 2018

I wanted to do a scouting mission on Canaan and Gilbert mountain in Nova Scotia.. Some places were to far off the grid or too questionable of terrain to self extract a bike out of the abyss by myself so i hosted a ride on the local dual sport site and some eager bikers showed up... I have the blue wr with the plastic over my self extraction kit on the ass end.. good times had by all

6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see you still working on this project! I’d say there’s not much dirt left in Labrador but it’s been over a year since I’ve been up there.

Those crossways sticks are what amount to what they call a corduroy road, common method of filling in soft ground
  7. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Aug 16th-19th 2019

This report is about a Dual sport ride to Cape Breton.....to continue last years solo quest to find a way to the Sydney Ferry via dual sport /loaded bikes....
    to get this puppy launched... a tune... reminds me of what we are riding away from in the rear view mirror....

The count down to ride day was the worst part leading up what would be the longest ride of the season{ to date}... I had a plethora of trip related things on the go.. On the klr.. new fork seals... valve adjustment... oh... and the @#$king gas tank repaint/ replacement... thanks to hitting a wash out at speed a few weeks earlier {sporting a a full tank of fuel} ... the impact ripped the rear tank mount spot welds loose= instant gas leak .... ... so that meant i would need to weld tabs on the new replacement gen 2 tank so that the upper GEN 1 KLR front fairings would have a place to bolt on ... .. would the TIG welds leak... ?? .. i did a water test on the new tank then an air pressure test .. as welding AFTER gas was put in the vessel was not an option. ..no mental pressure though... :lol3

Mapping in the evening ... that's another story.... I'll just leave it at... consider using Caltopo = very powerful..

Forward.....Day 1 ....

The group {three riders} agreed on an 8 AM launch... earlier in the week it was clear that everyone one was pretty much ready to ride after seeing NBDSC.ca posts of newly configured roto pac mounts by Babineau moto {CRF 250L} and Kevin C {XT250} sending texts that he had his bike loaded the previous weekend with new rear soft bags and a heat shield to prevent burning of the gear.
    I however.... decided to ride the KLR 650.... the biggest reason was that this was supposed to be a "loaded/big bike doable run".... that will be used to replace the TCAT portion of the trans lab{ will soon be paved in its entirety}.

Ride plan for today was to camp in the proximity of Brora lake Nova Scotia ..this is the actual ride ..

[​IMG]day 1 by b cam, on Flickr

The conditions.... were excellent... a bit surprised to see any puddles in the trails...

[​IMG]KIMG0964 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0966 by b cam, on Flickr

At map label 1 area.... approx 40 minutes outside Truro... We had the first "situation" i am riding along... and the KLR starts working like crap until i go to throttle up a hill and it dies.... i can smell gas... the carb is flooded big time... :fpalm ... I shut the fuel off drained the carb bowl... tried the starter.. bike fires right up... so i let it run until it dies of starvation... when i re-opened the pet cock... the float needle"object " flushed out .. problem solved...

At Label 2 area on map "situation 2" the dreaded road closed sign..... of course we had to investigate... as the best route is what the GPS is calling for...

here we go.....

[​IMG]KIMG0967 by b cam, on Flickr

park the bikes..... to have a peek

[​IMG]KIMG0968 by b cam, on Flickr

the bridge.... wasn't exactly out...both approaches to the deck was..... Babineau moto surveyed the situation and thought maybe he could jump the crf from the small earth berm to the deck..but said the proximity of the back hoe wouldn't allow him to get enough speed on...

[​IMG]KIMG0969 by b cam, on Flickr

I fully agreed with him :augie ... .. and then...a plan was born to use the nearby railing material as "a way"...

[​IMG]KIMG0971 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0970 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0974 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]bridge build by b cam, on Flickr

everyone across ...

[​IMG]KIMG0973 by b cam, on Flickr

Camping was the full plan{ short of a monsoon}... to be a little more frank...... it was stealth camping 100%....the only criteria... well 2 criteria... #1 "try" and set up camp 2 hours before dark... # 2 the said "set up" near water.. lake or river... either would do... for a nice day end dip... tonight it was Stewart Lake Just outside North Lochaber Nova Scotia...the road i had planned to use..."should of" looked a little closer on google earth....

[​IMG]WTF gate by b cam, on Flickr

not impressed.....

[​IMG]gate dismay by b cam, on Flickr

head to the other end of the lake....

[​IMG]lake by b cam, on Flickr

check mark...

[​IMG]campsite by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]campsite1 by b cam, on Flickr

I was looking forward to a swim....

[​IMG]rpb unpacking by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0980 by b cam, on Flickr

i thought.... i was just taking some shots of our set up... we were 2 hammocks and a tent.... more subtly... The daily reminder to my now adult children... for god sake.. carpe diem ... don't wait!!!

[​IMG]KIMG0976 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0977 by b cam, on Flickr

then... Kevin mentions the xt 250 is causing some problems that were cured by just swapping in a new spark plug a week earlier..... :hmmmmm ...... but ...the new plug trick today... didn't work this time....{his plug was black ..almost fouled from un burnt fuel.. I was concerned that it was a spark/cdi issue}

[​IMG]KIMG0978 by b cam, on Flickr...

A plan "b" is made for day 2 given the xt250 is cutting out at high speed /under load... albeit...she purrs like a kitten at idle.... the little 250 gets re-assembled for the evening....

[​IMG]KIMG0981 by b cam, on Flickr

its getting dark..... ummm maybe try my luck before crashing.... :wink:

[​IMG]KIMG0982 by b cam, on Flickr

day 1... 321 kms of dual sport goodness,,,,,
    not shown:
    *The bridge built from highway guard rails ,
    *The street bikers taking the long way to the clerk from the gas pumps to try and understand why the loaded bikes were so dirty....
    *Our group of riders taking turns leading the ride every 50 kms or so... I really enjoyed that :-))

stay tuned..
    jackalsour likes this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deadly! Can’t see any photos but it’s probably the shitty Internet out here.
  9. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you following along young fella..:thumb. the photos are all web hosted... with public access.. so should be good to go. There may be some updates to "each day" that is posted { as the other two riders check in with pictures/ and a few video clips.. }
  10. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Cape Breton 2019 day 2

First a little back ground......

Camp started rustling just after day break,there was a little discussion about the proximity of coyotes.. but the underlying thoughts were of Kevin's ride..how it would react to full throttle today.The stoves churned to pump out fresh coffee and oatmeal porridge while items where re packed for another full day on the road. In no time we were off waiting to hear whether the xt engine prodding/poking had made any difference?
    We rode the trails until the bail point for fuel in Antigonish ..the little XT was still not performing at speed....

Pulled in for fuel...

[​IMG]KIMG0986 by b cam, on Flickr

We joked about the phone booth while i was thinking how we were using GPS on phones to navigate... the booth was apparently still hooked up!

[​IMG]KIMG0987 by b cam, on Flickr

The previous evening while randomly checking for disconnected wires / broken hoses etc on Kevin's bike ...Babineau Moto {Ugo} had grabbed a few phone screen shots of a Yamaha bike shop location in Heatherton that opened at 9:00 AM .
    It's worth noting ... that a locals description of the repair shop was " it could be seen from the highway" ..the problem was both ends of the road it was situated on were on a highway{albeit different ones} which created some confusion :lol3 .. in the end i sat tight at the midway point to see who would call first to state their arrival..

Plan b was put in motion.. We would group ride to the repair spot... then.. the scenarios

No bike repair : Kevin's son would come from Truro zone with a half ton to do a retrieval.

Bike repaired: We would watch our phones and make a rendezvous spot.
    In either case due to the time in the shop... the other two bikes would head to Canso causeway zone... on another mission...

Outside Redland sport....

*[​IMG]KIMG0988 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG0989 by b cam, on Flickr

Having parted ways ... Ugo and I headed for the last "planned" section of mainland Nova Scotia {# 1 on map below}. This had been a failure{disaster} last year when scouting and encountered a rotted out corduroy built section of Pirate Harbor Road..

[​IMG]day 2 by b cam, on Flickr

Big smile about here.... as Point Tupper Presented itself.... This was the last mainland section that was needed to cross Nova Scotia

[​IMG]KIMG0992 by b cam, on Flickr

Only a short ways from Port Hastings... stop #2 on map... a weak moment :smt118 .... and besides... we needed to check texts see what the outcome was for the xt250..... would our group member be rejoining us ?? Yess.. Kevin was slabbing to meet up..so we hung tight....

[​IMG]KIMG0993 by b cam, on Flickr

Creignish Mountain .... we had only rode the rail bed maybe 10km 's then turned onto a hillside road ..... at a 300 meter view within minutes.

[​IMG]KIMG0994 by b cam, on Flickr

"Situation #3" after riding an hour and to my disbelief.... another road closed sign as we crest MacIntyre Mountain

[​IMG]KIMG0997 by b cam, on Flickr

ummmm a little too much of a drop... :augie and no planks long enough laying around :doh...I think everyone chanted different crossing scenarios... then succumbed to the heat and just started rolling the gps sreen for options... :lol3

[​IMG]KIMG0998 by b cam, on Flickr

.... onward.... following a revamp plan on the fly... the mountains are polluted with connector roads....

[​IMG]KIMG1000 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1001 by b cam, on Flickr

even the pee breaks had photo ops ...

[​IMG]KIMG1003 by b cam, on Flickr

Margaree Forks ...... exactly where we wanted to be.....

[​IMG]KIMG1006 by b cam, on Flickr

Margaree - Lake Ainslie .. an unplanned stop... our co-pilot thought the fuel was on the highway ahead... I forgot to mention that the fuel stop was on the GPS route... sorry bud..

[​IMG]KIMG1009 by b cam, on Flickr

This is what we were doing while waiting.... :wink:

[​IMG]KIMG1010 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1012 by b cam, on Flickr

... onward... Riding the WestBig Intervale road towards our next stop/...

[​IMG]KIMG1014 by b cam, on Flickr

but first.... it was time to try and observe our trip criteria ... #1 "try" and set up camp 2 hours before dark... # 2 set up near a water.. lake or river.I spied this small body of water on the GPS that looked to be surrounded by a road shaped like a lacrosse racket...

google earth shot ->HERE<- {the dam is just upstream from our campsite on the tributary feeding that pond.}

[​IMG]KIMG1016 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1017 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1018 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1019 by b cam, on Flickr

Had a swim...{OMG the water was cold} hammock up and supper on the stove before dark.... I am aching to be there just typing up this ride report.... :becca

[​IMG]KIMG1020 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1021 by b cam, on Flickr

So day 2 of four ..... 330 km ... whew ....what a roller coaster ride.... :wink:
  11. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Aug 18th & 19th day 3 /4

Ok... lets get this ride sewn up.. all the trails connecting / doable...everyone taking turns leading .. ... good times..... 3 souls making a little biking space in busy lives to disappear off the grid the best way we knew how.. :-)

..Day 3 and 4 map ...

[​IMG]day 3-4 by b cam, on Flickr

The group was getting pretty comfy with the set/up tear down of the camp site. There was talk about how it was great that everyone was at about the same speed/ skill level packing up to head out . Didn't matter anyway... the promise of a new day was enough of a high to start the bikes on adrenaline... Gps's up and running we pulled out and rode approx 50 kms to Cape Clear...location #1 on the map
    When we landed there... on the way in....oh my

[​IMG]Cape Clear in1 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]Cape Clear in2 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]capeclearv1 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]capeclear v2 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]cape clear v3 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]capeclear v4 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]capeclear v5 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]cape clear v6 by b cam, on Flickr`

Our group...

[​IMG]capeclear v6 by b cam, on Flickr

...a bit of a bonus..

[​IMG]KIMG1025 by b cam, on Flickr

buddy was telling us about his years rappelling while adjusting his gear for the 400' or so decent to the valley floor.

[​IMG]KIMG1026 by b cam, on Flickr

before he disappears over the side the climber says to his partner "stay right... to avoid the hollow below the out crop" :shock: His buddy says "duly noted" :shock:

[​IMG]KIMG1029 by b cam, on Flickr

shot/ text for my off spring.... Last year they attempted a Cape Clear pilgrimage... apparently one of the girls needed to pee.. they stopped the vehicle and got out to the scene of a skinned moose carcass on the road side..so they promptly hopped back into the vehicle and headed out to the more serene provincial camp grounds .. :lol3

[​IMG]KIMG1023 by b cam, on Flickr

... riding down to Wreck Cove from Cape Clear... was an adventure in itself.. Babineau moto was point man ...Kevin in the middle of the group and me tail gunning.... As the day went on the road surface was getting more dusty so we getting more spacing between bikes ... i start encountering gear ...sleeping roll etc..on the road edge.. Kevin's kit had vibrated loose and was randomly popping off the ass end of his bike like pop corn....I stop to help retrieve the gear... and ride on... until i feel the front end trying to washout and sloppily take turns... damn.. a front tire going flat location 2 on map....

[​IMG]bill flat by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]bill flat 1 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]bill flat 2 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]bill flat 3 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]bill flat 4 by b cam, on Flickr

the high speed version of the flat repair is at 14:01 on this video footage courtesy of Babineau Moto ...

location 3 on the map... Wreck \Cove.. it's splashed all over the inter net that fuel can be purchased there.... Note there is no fuel at Wreck Cove... no pumps..no fuel... this was a concern for the smaller fuel tank in the group...
    I did email the fuel locator site on the net to remove this icon from the map... but i just noticed that OSM mapping is also showing fuel at Wreck Cove.. anyone have an OSM account to get the fuel pump icon removed from the mapping?

[​IMG]no fuel here by b cam, on Flickr

.. We rode on and off the slab on the way to Baddeck on a fuel search....

ok.. listen up... a camp to our left... and a gated driveway straight ahead.. did the property owner gate the public road?

[​IMG]KIMG1030 by b cam, on Flickr

three logs on the camp property {at left } front lawn all .. end to end .. leaving a strip of sod that lead a wheel barrow size hole in the forest....

[​IMG]Wheelbarrow trail by b cam, on Flickr

i had already started to turn my bike around when Kevin and I could clearly hear the ramped up barking of the gated property owner's dog....

We figured the wheel barrow trail was a short cut from the camp on the left to the place where the dog was.. :dunno .. i grabbed this shot as we were ready to succumb to what we thought.. would happen... Babineau Moto... instead... said the wheelbarrow entrance/trail "is" the road... :p

Moral of the story... we were ready to back track... One rider's curiosity will forever change my navigation resolve/ tactics in the future... thanks Ugo :)

[​IMG]KIMG1032 by b cam, on Flickr

Oh ... remember the fuel "problem" / missing pumps ?... The group lands in Baddeck and the little mom and pop fuel station is closed to observe Sunday... ride to the highway... station open.. but buy a banana for sale signs are blocking the pumps... computer problem .. no gas being served.. we end up riding another 15 km to Wagmatcook Ultramar... 95 kms in total .. two riders... found /got some new fuel range numbers to work with :lol:

[​IMG]yes fuel! by b cam, on Flickr

Camp site for the end of day 3 after traveling another 340 kms from Margaree to stealth camp location # 5 on map/ in Dunmore .... missed trip criteria 1 .. we did not have two hours to set up.. but there was one check mark...

[​IMG]KIMG0016 by b cam, on Flickr

The South River made a beautiful swimming hole... :thumb

[​IMG]KIMG0014 by b cam, on Flickr

The bikes were parked down a steep bank to get closer to the river... it was suggested that i leave the KLR "at the top of the hill"... of course.. my lazy ass thought it was too far to carry the gear.. so i joined the light weight bikes.. ... It rained on and off over night... and all i dream-pt about..was the KLR not being able to get traction up the hill.. FFS .. It ended going up without a hitch... minus a couple hours sleep..... :wink:....:topes

[​IMG]KIMG0017 by b cam, on Flickr

Day 4 .. to home...

We road the stair case trails of Eigg mountain location # 6 on the map... got spit out in Ardness..

[​IMG]KIMG1036 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]KIMG1037 by b cam, on Flickr

Almost to Truro.... this quad trail was the only connector that would join up a healthy helping of gravel roads... the xt decided to take a nap....

[​IMG]xt 250 swim by b cam, on Flickr

quick airbox check for water....

[​IMG]xt250 swim1 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]steep but doable by b cam, on Flickr

good times....

[​IMG]view 1 by b cam, on Flickr

[​IMG]view 2 by b cam, on Flickr

... Dinner... was on my mind by late afternoon..I mean.. a bag of nuts is nice in the tank bag... but .. nothing less than a Masstown market feast on the last leg of the trip would do..

Seafood Chowder and Chicken pasta Salad...

[​IMG]KIMG1039 by b cam, on Flickr

We all shook hands after crossing the marsh into Sackville NB .. another 330 kms crushed .... even got the important .. "home before dark" accomplished... albeit.. the old girl could stand a bath...

[​IMG]KIMG1041 by b cam, on Flickr

Thanks for tagging along...

RPB
    AngusMcL, snglfin and scout68 like this.