RPM One for extended warranty-- Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by flybigjet, May 10, 2018.

1. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok-- just about to pull the trigger on an RPM One five year warranty-- mostly because the cost of parts on the bike are quite frankly terrifying. I figure less than $200 a year is pretty cheap insurance.

ANYhow, I was at the Dealer the other day and asked them about extended warranties. Of course, they tried to upsell me theirs (at 2.5 times the cost) and sort of "talked down" the RPM One.

Any experiences with them? Scam? Good people to work with? Prompt claims? Horrible experiences?

Basically, just trying to get a Warm Fuzzy about RPM One since I'll be purchasing the warranty from a motorsports dealer in VA and I'm in CO.

Thanks-- sort of running out of time so I need to jump on this before my warranty expires this month.

R.
  2. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    Try it....and let us know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. xjwheeler

xjwheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 7 year on my 2012, when the rear main started leaking they took care of everything and according to the dealer didn't give them a bit of issue approving it. Even authorized the replacement of the counter shaft seal because it was "weeping" a little. Took care of heated grips that have quit a couple of times (once due to a failed element, and the other a faulty switch).

Like most extended warranties its a gamble but, since they fixed the leaking rear main everything after it has been "free" so to speak.
    deadflagblues and flybigjet like this.
  4. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Good enough for me. Just purchased the contract. RPM One just raised their rates significantly 1 May, but since I already had a quote I'm grandfathered under the new rates.

$200 a year is cheap insurance for piece of mind I suppose.

R.
    swiss-happy likes this.
  5. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    I just purchased mine 96 months term Diamond plan from RPMone $1050.oo on my 2017 GSA
    This is the first extended warranty I have ever bought on a BMW.
    Bought one from a HD dealer in 2003 & found out later the dealer never registered the extended warranty papers.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  6. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Well, the check is in the mail so we'll see what happens.
  7. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    If you ride a lot of miles, get an extended warranty!
    x32792 likes this.
  8. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The odds are heavily in the favor of the extended warranty provider. That's how they put their kids through college.

But if you like the peace of mind, go for it.
    scottdc and x32792 like this.
  9. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Obviously so, but I figure $195/year is worth it for piece of mind.

I normally am not a fan of extended warranties and have always considered them "additional markup" for the provider.

But, then I started looking at what parts & labor actually cost on a GS.

Ouch.

One repair and the warranty pays for itself.

At least that's my thinking. The GS-LC *seems* pretty bulletproof, but you do hear the occasional "I had to mortgage my house to fix my bike" story.

Check is out in the morning, so I still have time to change my mind.....
  10. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    My take on these warranties is that if you ever need one you'll be glad you have it, if you would have a hard time affording an expensive repair bill you probably had better have one, and if you never have to use it... perfect, I hope I never have to file an insurance claim either.

I did not buy the warranty on my GS, I figure the worst thing that could go wrong is an engine or transmission failure, complete engine/trans can be found second hand with low miles for reasonable prices and I can do the work myself.
    Jimkav and OzRider64 like this.
  11. dksd39

dksd39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a ton and purchased the RPM One 8 months ago when the factory warranty was expiring due to mileage. So far it has covered new fork seals, new rear TPMS and new final drive which total would have cost $3000.

I just wish it covered repairs in central and south america as i will be south of the border for a year but i still highly recommend it.
  12. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    I'm into my $1500 extended warranty for $2100 so far. 1 year left and at 60K miles.
    Motorius likes this.
  13. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just paid for mine
  14. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Miami Beach, Fl / Charleston, SC & London
    I think the reverse is the worst case ... my bikes sit and hardly get used except on long runs as I am too busy working so I will do 3000 - 5000 miles on my vacation once a year and the rest of the time the bike is sat as I am out of town. ((2015 K1600GTL x 2 fuel pumps and 1 brake caliper under warranty) - 2017 R1200GSA x 1 fuel pump and 1 x battery even though on BMW trickle charge)) - IMHO not using the bike is worse than using it - I am not even going to go there as far as the boat is concerned !! ... B.O.A.T - Bring Out Another Thousand !!.
  15. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    " Break Out Another Thousand "

I am in the market for an extended warranty and possibly the maintenance plan. Any recommendations on who you buy these through.

My dealership I am buying the bike through wants 4k for both, which is 2 year ext. Warranty and Three visits to have the oil changed....
  16. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought one for my 2014 K1600GT through RPM One and had both TPM sensors go bad. They replaced both sensors (Dealer cost $270 per) plus labor. I paid $750 for a 3 year warranty and that one claim covered the entire cost of the coverage.
    I used Bob's BMw and they handled everything, simple.
  17. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    Just like the above poster, I have RPM One and had both TPM sensors go bad. They replaced both sensors.
  18. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Army, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your warranty and for how long is/was it ?
  19. Jonnybow

Jonnybow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a 3 year warranty, it was just over $750
  20. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    These extended warranties “start” after the factory warranty expires, right?