RR: Why does stuff like this always happen to me?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Geek, May 17, 2009.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I almost toasted myself today... it was close.

...and such a convoluted comedy of circumstances lead to my close call that I was crying & cringing & giggling all at the same time while it happened.

While blood spurted all over the place.

Ok, so maybe it was more of a drip than a spurt but it was flying all over the place as I went through the corner with absolutely no control over my left hand...

It all started innocently enough. I was going to double dip today. Enjoy two hobbies at once. Riding & Fly Fishing. Tweetie had plans to ride the Switzerland Trail with Prairie Rider so I was going to head a couple of mountains north and take on the Big Thompson River with my rookie fly fishing skills.

....more....

Estes Park is one of the few places where you have to check for Elk in your fishing back cast :patch
    [​IMG]
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So I started with figuring out how to carry all my fly gear on the R90.

Left Saddle Bag: Waders & wading boots

(sorry some of the pics are crappy iphone pics)
    [​IMG]
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Tail trunk:

Funny hat. Fishing vest & stuff. Polar Fleece just in case (though the forecast even in Estes was 70 degrees). Food. Water. Jumper cables.

[​IMG]
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Only issue was the pole & net wouldn't fit in the bags. Some Rox Straps to the rescue.

[​IMG]
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Loaded up and ready to go :thumb

[​IMG]
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    First stop... the local fly shop.

"What should I use today?"
    "Try these".

So I did. And didn't get so much as a bite with their suggestions (although that pink thing was nearly the end of me! ).

[​IMG]
  7. Deadslow

Deadslow The Whinging Pom....

Oddometer:
    :lurk No matter what happened, at least you got out to ride today and you can talk about it!.
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So up South St. Vrains canyon I went.. headed for Estes Park.

What a road. Every time I ride it, it reminds me how lucky I am to live here. This silky smooth canyon road would make any motorcyclist grin like Cheshire Cat. I had to be mindful to not high center myself on a cylinder head :ricky

I used to ride across the nation to enjoy roads like this. Now they are in my backyard. There is something to be said for living in a "destination". Here I was riding a motorcyclist's dream canyon headed for a fisherman's dream stream (all you fishing snobs hush :ksteve ).

[​IMG]
  9. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to hear what attacked you this time. :poser

Sorry, That's not really funny but some how I think it may turn out that way.

:lurk

Marc
  10. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So before I went.. I checked the flow rates on the internet.

Below Lake Estes was flowing around 125 cfs... above was flowing 200+. Not knowing how much 200+ is in the Big Thompson.. I decided to head above Estes and avoid the crowds.

I found a neat location and had it all to myself.
    I took off my ride boots, jacket, helmet and gloves and stored them.
    I put on my waders, put on my wade boots, sprayed myself with sunscreen and put on my vest, my big goofy hat and my polarized sunglasses.

By the time I'd got all this done I'd worked up a sweat.

So I headed over to the stream and waded out up to my knees to cool down.

Now it was time to assemble my rod. Mount the reel. String the rod. Tie hook number one on to the rod. Tie tippet to the tail of fly number one. Tie hook number two to the other end of the tippet. Mount my strike indicator... and FINALLY I was ready.

Why do I mention all the steps? Because they take my rookie arse forever. Each one of those knots I had to tie take me on eon. I'm just not good at working with the freakin microscopic filaments & eyelets yet (I've been fly fishing a grand total of a few weeks now).

Anyways.. I was ready. :clap

So I start looking around the stream for good fishing holes.

There aren't any. The river is blown out. The water is muddy & brown. 200 cfs is definitely not a fishing friendly volume.

DOH!

So I need to head down stream. I need to head about 15 miles down hill, below the dam, where the (edit; sorry Bill) volume is 125cfs.

But I'm on a motorcycle.
    ...and it took me 30 minutes to get my arse ready to fish.
    ...and it will take me 30 more minutes to disassemble everything and put it all back on the bike.
    ...and then another 30 minutes when I find a spot to fish down stream.

Argh!

So what is a geek to do....

[​IMG]
    James59 likes this.
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Yup! I had a bright idea. :D

I'd bought this fancy new fishing vest yesterday that had a rod holder. I'd strap the rod into the holder across my chest, replace my big goofy hat for my helmet and ride on down stream.. being careful not to melt my waders on the cylinder heads and not fall down with the felt-sole'd boots.

What could possibly go wrong?

I laughed at the thought and put my camera on the ground to snap the photo above before I departed. :ricky
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that pink hook got lodged in an inopportune location... :evil
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I had to go through downtown Estes Park again.

People were doing double takes as I rolled by. You'd think they'd never seen a man dressed in chest waders with a 9 foot fly rod strapped to his chest ride a motorcycle through town before? :dunno

Stopped at a red light some guy yells "Dude! That's AWESOME!" and snaps my photo. Glad I could make 'em smile :)

I stopped and snapped a photo of my reflection in the window before I rolled on...

[​IMG]
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    So I need to explain something to non-fly-fishing-people about how fly-fishing setups work. They are often different than a standard "fishing rod with a hook".

My fly fishing setup involved TWO hooks. Basically, you tie one hook to your leader line. Then you tie another piece of line to the hook part of that hook and (in this case about 15 inches down) you tie a second hook to the other end of the line.

So the fly shop had suggested I run a prince nymph as my top hook and one of those pink works as my dropper (lower hook). So I had tied the nymph to my fly line and then attached 15 inches of line and tied the pink hook on.

All was good.

Now forward to carrying on the bike a 9 foot fly rod.

While trying to figure out how to securely secure my rod... I had hooked my hook into the rod's little hook-holder thingy right in front of the reel. I had then turned my reel's tension up really tight so that I could cinch the line down. I then turned the reel a bit so that the line was pulled really, really snugly so it wouldn't come unhooked. Snug enough that the rod was tensioned really right.. it had a big arc in the tip.

I definitely didn't want to risk it coming unhooked while I was riding... so these are the precautions I took. :thumb

Only thing was.... I hooked the prince nymph (the top hook) in the hook holder and forgot about the pink worm.

The pink worm was left dangling... :fishie

Off I went down the canyon. Enjoying the twisty curves....
  15. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    :thumb :poser
  16. Deadslow

Deadslow The Whinging Pom....

Oddometer:
    The pink worm was left dangling... :fishie

This is code for something?:eek1
  17. Coloradical

Coloradical Long timer

Oddometer:
    Careful.... Don't let the fishing police hear you call it that. :rofl Keep it up and they'll give you one of these to fish with.
    [​IMG]
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Big Thompson Canyon is a hoot.

It is a ribbon of 25-35mph corners running from Estes Park to Loveland. I was headed down to an area just above Drake (Crash&Annie's hood).

I lucked into a traffic free pocket and was having a hoot.

The rod was secure, and everything was working great.

I entered a tight right-hand corner and apex'd it a little too far to the right.

WHACK!

The rod slapped me in the throat as the top of it caught the tree above.

OOOPS!

I reached up with my left hand to check the secure-ness of the rod.
    It was fine.
    As I went to put my left hand back onto the left grip... yup, you guessed it... that little pink worm found its way BURRIED into my pinky finger.. in the soft fleshy part - about where your finger hits the keyboard when typing.

OUCH!

I looked down at it (not knowing what had just stabbed me) and started laughing.

"Why does s**t like this always happen to me" was my first thought.

I gave a tug...

"DAMN!"

As the hook sunk further in.

I needed to shift. I need the clutch. If you've ever ridden an old airhead you know you pretty much cannot down-shift the thing without the clutch. I had 15 inches of tippet so I leaned forward and put my chest as close to the handlebar as I could and managed to grab some clutch to change the engine rpm.

I sat back up.. hook still embeded.

"I need to pull over and get that sucker out".

I went to lean forward again and to pull in the clutch lever when suddenly the Prince Nymph game unhooked from the hook holder...

Remember all that tension I'd put into the rod?
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    fixed... :lol3
  20. Bill Shanks

Bill Shanks Stumbler

Oddometer:
    Geek, I know Canada is Metric and Texas has no system of weights and measures other than piles of bullshit, but cfs is cubic feet of water per second (450 gallons per minute) and not a measurement of velocity. I'm at work right now in a water treatment plant and your error struck my OCD pretty hard. Good luck with double fish hooks. Dynamite is more efficent.