RTW in 14 days...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Traveller13, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    So, just to clarify this is not a Round The world in 14 Days but rather a Ride to Work in 14 days (and return.
    As with many others I had a plan for 2020 which included a 2 1/2 month bike trip around Australia with a mate, but you know, the Rona up and f#$ked that so plan B.
    I work in the central Pilbara in the North West of Western Australia so it's not your regular commute to work and is usually FIFO (Fly In - Fly Out) and for me is on an 8/6 roster (days). Due to this little plague we are having I was moved onto a 2/2 roster (weeks) and as that came to an end I thought I may as well use the extra time and take a ride up to work and back over a 14 day riding duration with a week of work in the middle which equated to approximately 4500 odd kilometres, like I said not your average commute to work :lol3
    I started from home in the Northern suburbs of Perth and heading North to see what I could see and take a time out on this mad world of ours for a short period of time and get off the grid for a bit...
    floalex likes this.
  2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    The bike:
    2014 R1200GS loaded with enough gear to be self sufficient for 4 days, 4 weeks, 4 months etc etc. Total weight of cargo is 50-55kgs including cases.

The bike.PNG

Rear seat replaced with a seat delete plate and my Companion Pro-Hiker strapped to it. The two Ortlieb bags hold clothes and toiletries with warm gear, jeans etc on the right and socks, jocks, tees, shorts and toiletries in the left.
    RHS pannier has tools, Helinox table/chair, sneakers and thongs (flip flops not g-strings), bike cover, hammer, small compressor.
    LHS pannier has sleeping bag, cooking gear, Nemo pillow, Exped Synmat 9 mattress, jump pack, dunny roll, small extension lead.
    Top box has rain suit, first aid kit, iPad and miscellaneous charger gear, some food (coffee, sugar, protein bars, single use bread spreads) and a few other odds n sods.
    Tank bag has day to day stuff like wallet, phone, sunscreen, hand sanitiser, cap, sunnies etc.
    Also carrying 3L of surplus fuel in the two 1.5L Primus bottles on the back of the panniers as there is a long way between stops out here in WA.

Probably brushed over a bit but you get the general idea.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  3. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Day 1.
    Home to Billabong Roadhouse - Approximately 680k's. Stops in Moora (fuel), Carnamah (toilet break) Mingenew (lunch) and Geraldton (fuel).
    Day 1.PNG

The canola crops were in full bloom.

Moora canola fields.PNG

Carnamah 1.PNG

Carnamah 2.PNG

Bike taking a well earned rest at Billabong RH (pretty average accommodation but it was cheap)

Day1 rest..PNG

Attached Files:

9w6vx, floalex and Suncoaster like this.
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Day 2- Billabong RH to Nanutarra RH - Approximately 620ks.
    Stops in Carnarvon (Fuel), Manilya RH (Fuel & Lunch).

Day 2..PNG

Gascoyne River Carnarvon, it's a tad dry..

Gascoyne River 1.PNG
    Gascoyne River 2.PNG

Gladstone Lookout near Carnarvon. It's flat as f#$k out here, and windy, and there's goats, roos and cattle to contend with.

Gladstone Lookout 1.PNG
    Gladstone Lookout 2.PNG
    9w6vx, floalex, Suncoaster and 2 others like this.
  5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Day 3- Nanutarra RH to Karijini NP. Just a quick 430 odd kays today.

Stops- Paraburdoo (fuel), Tom Price (fuel, lunch and supplies for the next 2 1/2 days). The supplies added an extra 10kgs to the bike but it was only for a short run, could certainly feel the difference though.
    Day 3.PNG

Finally something to see other than flat straight nothing, welcome to the Karijini region of the Pilbara.
    Nana to Para.PNG

Coffee stop literally in the middle of nowhere. The place is a station stay (stations are like ranches, only bigger) and goes by the name of Cheela Plains, if I had of known about this place it would have been my choice of accommodation on day 2. If you are ever out this way I highly recommend looking into this place, it's mint :)
    Coffee stop day 3.PNG

Two load haulers. The Pilbara region is rich in resources, in particular iron ore and has been mined since the 50's. It's a massive industry out here with millions of tonnes and billions of dollars made every year. The site where I work produces in the vicinity of 80 million tonnes a year on it's own.
    The truck in the picture is probably 30 years old or so and they are MUCH bigger now, in the vicinity of 400 tonnes when loaded (Cat 793's)

Haulin'.PNG

My accommodation for the next two nights.
    Dales Campground in Karijini NP. Well worth the stop to have a look around if you ever get out this way.
    Just be aware it's light on for amenities. No showers, drop toilets and limited water supply. There is a visitors centre which has showers but when it's busy there's a long wait and it costs extra. Luckily I have a way to keep ice frozen for several days so there were 2 beers on the first night as well as a couple of nice cold rum and cokes for both nights. Luvly jubbly :)

Kampin' in Karijini.PNG
    Next post, pictures of Dales Gorge @ Karijini NP.
    9w6vx, yokesman, floalex and 6 others like this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Dales Gorge. A must see when out and about in the Pilbara.
    Now I've been to the US and been through Zion NP and the Grand Canyon North Rim and while they are quite frankly epic in size and scope our little Karijini NP is still worthwhile to visit.

Fortescue Falls.
    Fortescue Falls 1.PNG
    Fortescue Falls 2.PNG

Fern Pool. Had a swim here, was cold, REALLY cold but after not having had a shower for a few days it was great, felt refreshed after.
    Fern Pool.PNG
    Fern pool 2.PNG
    9w6vx and Suncoaster like this.
  7. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Took the hike trail through the gorge, takes about an hour or less. It's not overly difficult other than the climb out which at the circular pool end is interesting as it's basically steps cut into the rock. At the other end at Fortescue falls there's proper steel stairs so if inclined a return trip through the gorge is always an option.

Dales Hike 1.PNG Dales hike 2.PNG Dales Hike 3.PNG Dales Hike 4.PNG Dales Hike 5 The idiot and the rock.PNG Dales Hike 6.PNG
    View attachment 2541245
    Took a bit of a wander around up top too,

Ant hills are big out here.
    Ant Hill mob.PNG

Booking for Dales Camp ground is best done online, just be sure to bring your paperwork with you as well as some cash as there is also an entry fee to be paid at the park.
    Other than Dales there is also Weano Gorge which is a similar arrangement to Dales and is on my list to visit next time. On top of that there is the option to go glamping at the Karijini Eco retreat just take into account the roads can be fairly rough through this area.
    Wittenoom ghost town is also on the other side of the park. Wittenoom was an asbestos mining town back in the 50's and 60's but was closed down for obvious reasons. The town is considered to be a contaminated site so enter at your own risk, which I will be looking to do on my next trip up this way as well.
  8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Day 5.

Left Dales and took a quick detour to Mt Bruce (even our mountains have Aussie sounding names) which has a decent hiking trail up to the top which affords some great views. Sadly having only found out about this the evening before I wasn't prepared for the hike so it was only a quick visit to the first way-point, another thing to tackle next visit.
    From Mt Bruce it was onto Auski RH for the night in a donga (Aussie for cabin) before heading to work the next morning.

Karijini sunrise..
    View attachment 2541229
    and a hearty breakfast.
    View attachment 2541240
    Day 6.PNG

Bit of dirt into Mt Bruce, roads a bit chopped but nothing serious.
    Gettin dirty.PNG

Its the land of wide open spaces is Western Australia.
    Mt Bruce views.PNG

Look closely enough and you can see an ore train in the below pic. These trains get up to 2 kilometres long with 4 locos and approximately 230-240 cars and 25000 tonnes of product on board.
    Ore train.PNG

Would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't of been for those damn pesky kids.
    Pesky kids....PNG
  9. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Found this little gem of a lookout point at the Munjina Gorge East. Called Albert Tognilini Lookout it has some camp sites and chemical toilets and some fantastic views..

Albert Tognolini lookout 1.PNG
    Albert Tognolini lookout 3.PNG

Sorry for the rough head.

Albert Tognolini lookout and a rough head.PNG

Finished my day at Auski RH. Room 58 thanks.

Auski.PNG
  10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    The next morning it was an early start and and an 80k ride into work for a week. Longest. week. ever.
    Work.PNG

To be continued....

Attached Files: