RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure she was just playing Nun for the day. I was happy to play her Abbot, but Katrina, the sargent major of the fun police had second thoughts. :nono
  2. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    If she wasn't, I'm thinking about converting
    gperkins likes this.
  3. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    The following are the old and new rear right side wheel bearings and seals. The original bearing is a 6204UU, a single row deep groove bearing. UU standing for ultra seal, essentially a double lip seal to my knowledge. On the right I'm fitting a 4204 double row deep groove ball bearing, not UU. The catch with this bearing is that the only sealed 4204 we could find is of Chinese parentage. There are plenty available not sealed, but that is of no value to us. The seal out board of the 4204 bearing is a 106919. Unlike the original, this seal has a sprung inner seal. Hopefully this in combination with the double row bearing will give me better service on the rear wheel. The dynamic load difference from the 6204 to the 4204 is 13.5 KN to 17.8 KN. Not a huge amount, but it could make all the difference. Of course the big caveat is that it is a Chinese bearing, but the bearing shop from whom I bought it assured me that these bearings were of good quality. Only time will tell and I don't see that i have anything to loose by trying this combination. I'll just keep running this bearing until failure and see what eventuates. Of course these coming months won't replicate what we did over the previous 15 months. The roads will mostly be much better, but I still see it as a valid exercise. The 4204 being 3.8 mm wider meant having to turn up a shorter spacer out of 316 stainless. This spacer is 9.4mm in length for those with AT's and have an interest in doing something similar. I need to acknowledge inmate Dazza helping me out big time with this lot. He did the hard leg work whilst i was swanning around Central Asia, cheers Dazza. I'll continue to carry a complete set of original bearings, seals and spacer if this little experiment fails and I need to swap back.

Those with AT's and are concerned about your own rear right bearing, it is obviously very dependent on what type of riding you do. If most of your riding is on tarmac and the loads are minimal to average, I'm not sure If it's worth it to swap over to this set up. If on the other hand your bike is exposed to a lot of water and dust, rough roads and heavy loads, then perhaps it's worth considering. We have discovered in Australia that this bearing is a weakness, no doubt about that. Of course if changing out this bearing every rear tyre change or second tyre change doesn't bother you, then go with that.

[​IMG]
    Balanda, 10ecjed, Yannick and 2 others like this.
  4. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I call getting acquainted with his bike :nod

Yannick and gperkins like this.
  5. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yeah pretty damn anal, I must confess DunkingBird But having spent all my working life "on the tools", I just can't get it out of my system. Perhaps I need to take a holiday. :jkam
    Balanda, MrKiwi and DunkingBird like this.
  6. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    Greece is not a bad place for that, but as long as the AT is waiting nearby:
    a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do :rofl

gperkins likes this.
  7. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was our first full day back in the saddle here in Europe. Six hundred klms @ 10 deg C. I'd normally have a photo, but I was too busy trying to keep warm. Here is our local cafe for the next week, where I know we will be warm. Most know we like a little colour around here. :0-0
    [​IMG]
    scudo, SmilinJoe, Balanda and 4 others like this.
  8. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    This may happen if you come to Europe in February :hmmmmm

gperkins likes this.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yeah we knew it when we booked our flights last year. But 4 months home was just going to be too long for us. We plan to hang around the Med for a while, the sun will shine from time to time. We are just happy to be back on the road.
    10ecjed, MrKiwi and DunkingBird like this.
  10. sartianos

sartianos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have summer in our hearts hehe
    gperkins, Balanda and DunkingBird like this.
  11. it's just rain

it's just rain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back from Washington State.. so envious!
    gperkins likes this.
  12. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hi it's just rain, great to have you on board. We've got close friends whom have just recently relocated to Bellingham for a 2 year secondment, say Hi will you please. :lol3 Oh one other small thing if I might. We passed through your way back in 84 and we lost a tent pole on the side of the road, any chance you can keep an eye out for it, Ta (Aussie for thanks) :jack
    TDC_ERock and Yannick like this.
  13. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Hey GP I’ve just got to say I stumbled across your RR yesterday and I’m currently up to page 20. Pictures are stunning and I love the humour. Some day soon the missus and I have plans to do an epic trip similar albeit riding the other way round. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing it’s inspirational.

Now back to page 21.

Gav :thumb
    MrKiwi and gperkins like this.
  14. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hi DeeGee thanks for the kind words. We are currently holed up in Sarti, Greece. My word it is both cold and wet. But we will stay with our plan and break out of here Weds and make our way across to Igoumentsia, then on the ferry to Brindissi.

So Yorkshire eh. We lived in Garforth for 5 years, mid 97 to mid 02. Lots of good memories and friends there. We will be back visiting in June and both Katrina and I are looking forward to it.

Make your dream come true, it really is an amazing world out there. Any questions or advice just shoot us a PM.
    DeeGee and MrKiwi like this.
  15. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Garforth! Wow small world eh?

Well I’m up to date now. The missus will be happy in the knowledge I’ve done bugger all today other than read your entire report and send her some of your stunning pictures! We’ll be heading into France and maybe part of the Black Forest in Germany at the back end of summer. I’ve followed your thread now and I’ll keep looking in for the updates. When you make it to sunny Leeds give us a shout if you want somewhere to stay or hook up for a beer!

Ride safe guys!
    gperkins likes this.
  16. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Cheers DeeGee we've got digs organised for our return to Leeds, but we will catch up for a beer for sure. Late summer should see us in eastern Europe.
    DeeGee likes this.
  17. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    My goodness it's been cold here, I mean Arctic type of cold. Well perhaps not quite that bad, but you get the picture. :vardy We were kept warm by the hospitality of both Dimitris and George here in Sarti though. But today it was time to move on, onto Thessaloniki that is. Here Makis would perform some remedial surgery on Miss Hatty. It was time to undress her a little and take a look at her innards. Primarily the valve clearances, I'm very pleased to report that after 57363 klms all is pretty much in order. The AT is a little different to a lot of bikes. In that the inlet valves are adjusted by shims and the exhaust via good old screw and locknut. The theory being of course that the inlets will inevitably require less maintenance and adjustment than the exhaust valves. The clearances should be as follows.
    Inlet 0.16 +/- .03
    Exh 0.23 +/- .02
    What was actually found was the following, L-R
    Inlet 0.17 0.17 0.17 0.18
    Exh 0.25 0.18 0.27 0.25
    Not too bad at all really, so a little tweak of exhaust valves 2 & 3 and Bob's your uncle. :thumb All the rollers and cam lobes were good. So it was just a matter of swapping out the original spark plugs for a set of iridiums that I brought over from Aus. I reckon we don't have to go back in here for at least another 50 K klms. I do applaud Honda going for the screw & locknut approach on the exhaust. Oh how I adore simplicity.

Normally i would do all this work myself. But on the road i simply don't have the facilities that i have at home, nor do I carry a set of shims. I mean, who would?

Dimitris and George of Sarti. It was bloody cold outside, but these two guys made us feel nice and warm.
    [​IMG]

Makis mid surgery.
    [​IMG]

All good here, put her back together again.
    [​IMG]
    scudo, KneeDrachen, SmilinJoe and 6 others like this.
  18. sartianos

sartianos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About yesterday with best friends !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

have a good road my friends......
    Shaggie, DunkingBird, 10ecjed and 4 others like this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad y’all are on the road again! Looking forward to more of your excellent reports and photos. I am also interested in a verdict on the Olin’s after they get broken a little. Ride safe!
    gperkins likes this.
  20. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We are also glad to be back on the road or not. Holy crap it's cold here at the moment. The European media is calling it the "Beast from the East". All of Europe is smothered by a colossal cold spell and it really is cold.

Currently we are waiting at the port of Igoumenitsa for our passage to Brindisi in a reasonably warm cafe.

It will be a while until i get to grips with the Ohlins, but yes we too are looking forward to it's advantages.
    DeeGee, DunkingBird and 10ecjed like this.