RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes a great photographer is the photos they bin...
    gperkins likes this.
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    isn't digital photography great, in the days of film those motorized cameras were expensive toys.
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    In retrospect I realise that I should have spent much more on film - I was very mean with snaps in those days.
    yokesman and gperkins like this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I've always had an interest in photography markinthailand. I don't pretend to anything more than an enthusiastic ameteur. Yep thats about it, I reckon.
    Yannick and MrKiwi like this.
  5. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I remember buying my first digital camera in NY city back in 02 and confidently telling the little old jewish salesman behind the counter, "i'll never give up on my film". He gave a wry smile, I lasted maybe another 6 or 7 years with film. Our sone Darcy now has all my old 35mm stuff. It's burried amongst hundreds of his own camers. Yep, he's got the bug. Actually it's more than a bug, it's a disease, good one though!
    KneeDrachen and Yannick like this.
  6. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hmm I've got pleanty of photos, all catalouged too. My biggest mistake was taking slides on our 84 North American trip. Of course they ended up in a draw and never got seen. But a couple of years ago, Darcy our eldest son digitised them all. When the time is right I'll do the ride report. Don't hold your breath though.
    KneeDrachen, Yannick, 911timo and 3 others like this.
  7. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    So 7 police check points later we have made it to Dakhla, Western Sahara. To put it in perspective that is at about the same latitude as Havana, Cuba. The ride down was pretty much as we expected, Sahara meets Atlantic ocean. I'll say this though the Moroccan government is throwing some money into the infrastructure down here. Give it another year and it will be 4 lane hwy all the way, to Dahkla at least.

Oi, if your not going to let me sit up front, at least cover my arse will you. I am a lady after all.
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking that there is a fair bit of this along this coast.
    [​IMG]

Sahara meets the Atlantic ocean. We were about 50 metres above sea level, but everywhere were fossilised sea shells. So clearly we were standing on an ancient sea bed.
    [​IMG]

Saharan sand on the fly as we approach Dahkla.
    [​IMG]

We are just going to chill for 3 days, before doing an about face and heading back from where we came from.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to digitise 20 years of slides from my mountaineering trips. It is a tomorrow job :fpalm. One day, one day I keep telling myself. :lol3
    gperkins likes this.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Twenty years eh, good luck with that. :doh
  10. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    So we are now northward bound having spent our 3 nights in Dahkla. Was it worth the the run down to there? Two days down and the same back including the best part of 2000 klm's. Hmm not sure to be honest the town itself is not a great destination unless you are a kite surfer. But even that crowd hardly gets into Dahkla, most remain 35 klms or so out of town in the tourist enclaves and a short walk across the road and sands to the lagoon. The wind coming off the Sahara is relentless, today was especially tiresome. Never dangerous, but constantly bearing down on you, mostly at right angles. So you end up with a permanent lean into the Sahara. But if you are into BIG landscapes & sky's then go for it. I will advise this though. Take copious photo copies of your passport with Moroc visa details and pass them over at the police as you will be stopped countless times to record that you have passed through. All for our safety apparently. My take is, if harm were to come to us. Then they could quickly narrow down the search area for our bodies. Yep, thats about the sum total of it.

Dahkla from our digs.
    [​IMG]

Local mosque.
    [​IMG]

Same mosque at sunrise from our window. No alarm clock needed in this part of the world I can assure you of that.
    [​IMG]

Katrina and I both drink either tea or coffee. But the tea here is damn near impossible. Neither of us have sugar, but this tea is bitter beyond description. We've seen locals put in about half the sugar offered into the tea pot. Then of course all you end up with is a sickly syryp, just less bitter.
    [​IMG]

Sahara meets Atlantic, looking south.
    [​IMG]

Looking north.
    [​IMG]

Sadly this is all too common a sight here in this part of the world. With the constant wind coming off the Sahara most of this would eventually blow into the ocean.
    [​IMG]

On the way south we met Othmane in Burjour. He assisted us in topping up our phone SIM card. He very generously offered his house for a night on the way back up north. I've said many times that the best part of the journey by far is meeting the locals and i really mean it. The hospitality we've had all over the world is truly humbling.
    [​IMG]

Salt flats.
    [​IMG]

Who'd like to work and live in this enviroment, here on the salt flats? Not I, thats for sure. It's a fortunate life that we live and we never forget it.
    [​IMG]
  11. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yesterday's wind was relentless, todays was diabolical. I'd never ridden in conditions like today. Heres a shot, I've got video, but until we get better wifi that'l have to wait. Two hours of being sand blasted.
    [​IMG]

Some might remember, we met Ivan back at Gorges du Dades. He just sent us some shots of us riding back down. We don't often get photos of both Katrina & I on the bike and when we do it's really appreciated. Thanks Ivan. :thumb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gperkins and yokesman like this.
  13. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hi horsti, it's great to have you on board. I'm afraid we have since passed the location you recommended. In fact that was yesterday when we nearly got blown off the bike. I had enough trouble just finding the road we were riding. All part of the fun though. I've been trying to upload the video this morning. But no chance, the wifi is so poor here.

We venture into the Balkans and other regions of the old eastern Bloc next year, maybe we'll see you out there on the road somewhere.

Cheers, Graeme.
  14. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    With lots of patience ( a developing skill with me ) & persaverence, I've managed to upload the sand storm from yesterday. I probably should of cut a minute or two out of the footage. But this is just a fraction of what we endured, we had a couple of hours of this. Go too slow and you were all over the road, too fast and well, that was just asking for trouble. As we would say back in Oz, "crikey, it would have blown a dog off it's chain". Merry Xmas one and all.
  15. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas to you both!
    gperkins, yokesman and MrKiwi like this.
  16. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    how are the bike's air filters after that.
    gperkins likes this.
  17. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Thankyou SOLOKLR, it's a quiet one for us thats for sure. We'll catch up with family and friends in about a months time, share stories over a BBQ and beers.

Here's a little snap of whats down the beach here at Tamraght. Seems somehow appropriate.
    [​IMG]
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Thats a question I've asked myself MrKiwi. The bike is currently locked away in a garage and I actually don't have access to it until this evening. New air filters are on the to buy list for when we go home. Between now and when we park the bike in Valencia in about 4 weeks time i can't see us doing any more than 2-3000 klms. So i'll just leave well alone untill we return in March and fit the new filters. Every other time I've changed the filters they have always been in pretty good order and never has there been any evidence of dust passing through. Until the last few days, these filters have been exposed to minimal dust and sand whilst riding Europe and Scandinavia, so I reckon they'll be fine. Perhaps if I get motivated in the next little while I'll take the side panels off and take a Bo Peep.
    Yannick, MrKiwi and yokesman like this.
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We were advised if we want to just chill for a while then Essaouira is as good a place as anywhere. Well ok, if you are escaping the cold winter of Europe I can see the attraction. But honestly it's just not our scene. There is no authenticity to the medina any more, it's just jammed packed full of tourist tack. The cafe's and restaurants are all over priced, pretty much double, but they are all well patronised by westerners. But just beyond the walls of the tourist packed medina in the working part of town you can sit down and eat with the locals for local price. Yep thats where we eat. In any case the fishing harbour is the real deal, where the locals are going about their lives as they have been for generations. Your've just got to reach a little beyond the tourist crap, it's there if you look.

[​IMG]

Sorting out the catch.
    [​IMG]

Use a bigger hammer, it works for me.
    [​IMG]

Patching the trawl net.
    [​IMG]

Passed it's use by date, me thinks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baiting up the long line for tonights fishing.
    [​IMG]

Not everything is harvested from the ocean around here.
    [​IMG]
  20. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    So you got a boat? Yes, can't miss it, it the blue one!
    Do they actually know who's is who's, or just take the first one and go?