RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I guess they recognise them the same way a dog tells which human is their's eh, we humans all look the same, right? :photog
    KneeDrachen, Shaggie, 911timo and 4 others like this.
  2. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    I guess there ain't many fishing boats in Arizona, but every boat has got a name and a registration number, and despite they all look similar, each boat has got its own wear and tear marks and a huge amont of small details that make them different from the others. If you look at well the picture, you'll see. And it goes without saying they remember where they have moored their boat the previous evening. :D
    They might be all blue by tradition nowadays, but back in time blue was the only affordable color to make paint, and that's also the reason why the Tuaregs had all their clothes dyed in blue.

Oh, by the way, it's gonna be time soon, so I wish you a happy new year Katrina and Graeme, and every reader of this thread. :beer
  3. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about the colors, as for the boats, just having a laugh.
    gperkins and Yannick like this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yep thats dead right Yannick. Back in the early eighties when I first went to sea as an engineer on prawn (shrimp) trawlers in the niorthern waters of Australia, mostly Gulf of Carpentaria. I worked for a company called KFV, they were the largest in Australia at the time with about 35 prawn trawlers. About 24 of them were of the same type made in Fremantle, Western Australia. Euphamistically called 6 packs, because they had six crew members. All were essentially identical including the color scheme. I was on the Solo 2. In any case when one appeared on the horizon and it could have been as much as 5 miles away, you knew instinctely which one it was. Although all the same, each had their own slight variations. Perhaps one extra arial or slightly different colour to their dinghy. But always there was something that allowed you to instantly recognise which 6 pack you were looking at, that is of course once you got to know them all.

Thanks for the good wishes Yannick. Both Katrina & i wish yourself all the best for the new year as well. Who knows we may yet catch up next year. If you plan to head a little east that is.
    KneeDrachen, Shaggie, Yannick and 3 others like this.
  5. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I too just learnt about the colours SOLOKLR and was also having a bit of a laugh with my dog/human quip. Heres for a great 2019 SOLOKLR.
    SOLOKLR likes this.
  6. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Katrina & i would like to wish one and all a tremendous 2019 what ever your goals and aspirations are.

We are going to celebrate with another Moroccon red. This time with a Qualité Supérieure no less. Hmm we'll hold the verdict on this, it may not end well. :photog
    [​IMG]
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    happy new year to you two. Looking forward to riding vicariously through you through different countries in 2019. Cheers from NZ.
    gperkins, yokesman and LadyDraco like this.
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, GP and Katrina. Have a safe and adventurous new year.
    gperkins likes this.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Thanks to both you gents, we do indeed plan some new countries this coming year and slowing up a bit, if that is even possible.
    911timo, MrKiwi and LadyDraco like this.
  10. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Look we what we have found, boats of different colours. Other than the green ones, they are for snaring tourists, often local Moroccons along with us foreigners.

[​IMG]

I particularly liked this one the entrepreneurial spirit fairly leaps off the little boat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your never far away from a mint tea here, often called Moroccon whiskey. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  11. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Just an hour or so up the coast from the overly priced and touristy Essaouira is the small coastal town of Oualidia. Now this is more our style, yep we'll just kick back here for a few days. But first we must eat.

You buy you chicken from this guy. If you look carefully you'll see trays in the display case with various prices on them. We payed 35 dirhams, about $4 dollars.
    [​IMG]

Then you go about 8 paces to your left and hand your tray to this guy, whom then proceeds to BBQ your chicken along with some "legumes", tomato's & onions.
    Here he is placing our chicken in the rack to be BBQ'd.
    [​IMG]

Not a great shot, it's a little smokey. It is a BBQ after all.
    [​IMG]

They cover the chicken with some green herb. We can't pick it, but it is tastey thats for sure. Spot the Moroccon whiskey. :evil
    [​IMG]

Just because we were greedy and I needed to taste this flat bread which had tomato, onion, paprika and other herbs folded inside, we had one of these.
    [​IMG]

Total price including emptying my wallet of all coins to the old beggar man, 70 Moroccon dirhams, 7 Euro or about $8 US. Yep, way better than Essaouira down the road. With our fat little bellys full to the brim it was time to roll down the road to sleep it all off.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    gperkins likes this.
  13. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that food looked yummy
    LadyDraco and gperkins like this.
  14. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I admire a man of few words RedDogAlberta. "Excelent" indeed, thanks for the kind word. :lol3
  15. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    That food was indeed yummy MrKiwi. I think there is two things going on here. One the countless chicken, lamb, goat, camel pieces that graced that BBQ rack prior to our chicken going over the embers. Leaving behind a myriad of delectable burnt bits and two, that mysterious green herbage? I'm starting to wonder, we are in Morocco after all. :hmmmmm:bubba
    MrKiwi likes this.
  16. alexf800gs

alexf800gs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    „...that mysterious green herbage? I'm starting to wonder, we are in Morocco after all. :hmmmmm:bubba:rofl:rofl:rofl
    gperkins likes this.
  17. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The olives look incredible :tb
    gperkins likes this.
  18. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being as we have a BBQ oxiding on the porch, plenty of chicken in the fridge, always onions n olive around but most of all a wife that can taste something n cook it . I will put my order in to the cook , only thing the smells of distant countries will not be there. the winter n no bike riding is affecting me so maybe this will help for , a day. still adding weight to our AT just haven't sprung for the skid plate n n
    modding the left pannier to fit a 1.75 gal rotopax. thanks for the report n escape for the winter blues that only a MC rider knows.
    gperkins likes this.
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Olives always both look and taste good don't you think LadyDraco. But i must fess up and admit we did not try these, although we have had plenty here in Morocco and I can't recall a bad one.
    yokesman likes this.
  20. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I often think back to the winter of 83/84 that Katrina and I spent in Nth America and I still shake my head at the temps you guys & girls have to deal with over there. Man it reshaped my sense of reality.

Ahh, the smells of far off exotic lands, if i could only erase some of those memories. :deal

Pleased to hear that you are having some quality shed time with your AT. In a few short months the wait will be worth it. :ricky Whats the plan with the rotopax, Yukon/Alaska maybe? I regularly now get 400 klms or 250 mls from a tank. But that is at our usual pace dawdling pace. Crank it up to 80 mph and your lucky to get about 250 klms, ouch!