RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Nowadays everything is done to keep the customers captive of dealers and the maintenance chain.[/QUOTE]

I reckon you nailed it right there Yannick
  2. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We've got a couple of hours before heading to the airport for a joyous 30 hours travel. :arg So a final wrap of Port de Sagunt & Valencia.

Way back prior to us crossing China we put the word out there to try to get a group together so as to lower the costs of that crossing. We had several interested parties contact us, one being Jose from Port de Sagunt. Unfortunately Jose couldn't join us, no fault of his. The Pakistani immigration refused him a visa as soon as they realised that he would be coming west to east. This is not unusual, because that route takes you through the tribal part of Pakistan where the authorities have little control. But we stayed in contact and thats how we found our way to this part of the world. What a stroke of luck that was. We've had a great time here with Jose and Pilar, met many in their community, wine and dined, been shown the sights and generally just enjoyed ourselves here. Not the least being given the oppurtunity to work on and leave the bike here whilst we head back home for a bit.

Old Valencia market, bit of a achatectual wonder.
    [​IMG]

Snails anyone? I tried them years ago in Italy, I don't recall the experience putting me off trying a second time.
    [​IMG]

32 Euro & 32 days. I'd try that if I could get it passed the minister of finance
    [​IMG]

Market building from outside.
    [​IMG]

That is an actual property about a metre wide, at least on this side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of two remaining gates into the old city of Valencia.
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't be Valencia without an orange or two. These decorative ones are pretty much inedible, far too sour. Pretty though, don't you think?
    [​IMG]

Around the old town you can find "Valencia water". Essentially orange juice spiked with champagne, gin or vodka, we approve. This little establishment seemed an appropriate place to try this refreshment. :beer
    [​IMG]

Outside appropriately advertised with this poster.
    [​IMG]

Random paella sitting on the the bar, this is how it is done in Valencia.
    [​IMG]

Just down the road your into the new Valencia, hows this for a contrast
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pilar & Jose fantastic hosts and now life long friends.
    [​IMG]

Then it was an afternoon with Pilar's and Jose's friends, eating and celebrating Valencian style. Now thats a man cave if ever I saw one.
    [​IMG]

Our return to Port de Sagunt mid March has got a lot to do with this.
    [​IMG]

Including these two young ladies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys and we'll see you both in a short while. Then we start all over again with a bang, really looking forward to it.:thumb
    [​IMG]
    Shaggie, Balanda, yokesman and 7 others like this.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly honda hasnt fixed the standard AT forks, 2018 is losing the interior anodizing just like the earlier years. So far the ATAS forks are holding up but the latest had only 10k KM on them. Checking each day to see your latest report n progress, you will get back to europe about the time we board the plane to asia. Have a happy helping of southern hospitlity while homw, the song for the beverly hillbillies, an old US tv weekly comedy now on reruns.
    thanks for the report that keeps on giving
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Ahh my bad Yokesman, i knew the ATAS forks were upgraded. I made the mistake of assuming the std models were also improved. Not good enough Honda. At least one reputable suspension shop in Sydney does an exchange service for the Kashima coated top tubes for $600 Aus the pair, perhaps something is similarly available State side? Of course it shouldn't come to that.

Enjoy Asia, it does keep you on your toes thats for sure. Do intend to post up a RR here Yokesman?

The Beverly Hillybilly's, i loved that show as a kid, along with Get Smart, F Troop and many others.:lol3
    yokesman and Bob W like this.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it is said, no worries ,just waiting on the final hurrah for the ATAS uppers ,to go that route or the OHNOS?
    The coating doesnt fix it, even that was tried, new 2018 uppers, new coating (was $250 a pair ?)all ended the same.

Yes we will be doing a report of some sort.
  6. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Just for a change of pace, I've been out and about with big brother Brian and his two bikes. I was on the 85 FXSB Low Rider and he on the Triumph Rocket 3.

Now, how long until my kidneys stop bleeding? :hmmmmm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great to enjoy our open spaces with little traffic and someone whom I like riding with, roads are still decidedly average though. I gotta say those huge Rockets are deceptively fast.
    Shaggie, 911timo, yokesman and 4 others like this.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    deceptively fast, yes in a straight line
    gperkins likes this.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good to see you enjoying a ride back home.

I know from first hand experience what your roads on a HD does to one's kidneys
    gperkins likes this.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Actually Brian if he is in the mood can make just anything go bloody fast, straight, round corners, through the bush, doesn't make a lot of difference to him.
    yokesman and MrKiwi like this.
  10. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect travel weather ! I think Katrina is taking a little break :-)

Last Wednesday I did a little driving training with my offroad-buddy.

With cool greetings from Switzerland,
    Peter

upload_2019-2-11_8-48-46.png

upload_2019-2-11_8-49-4.png

mechahayai, gperkins, Yannick and 2 others like this.
  11. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !!!!!!! Graeme, it's cool to see you on a real bike with a real jacket ! :rofl
    gperkins and DunkingBird like this.
  12. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Weathers great over here Peter, not so sure about your part of the world though. You got a snow plough on that bike?
    yokesman and DunkingBird like this.
  13. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    It was great to get a few hours back on a HD. I've had 3 in the past and really like them. But man this early Evo sure demonstrated how things have moved on in the last 30 odd years or maybe I've just gone all soft. I've got to say, Brian is old school thats for sure. I can say that with complete confidence, he didn't even know we had a blog. :lol3 He does now, but it's a sure bet he won't read it. That was his Brando style jacket. Mine is buried under a pile of boxes somewhere back in my locked workshop. Still fits after more than 35 years too.....................well kinda.
    yokesman, DunkingBird and Yannick like this.
  14. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol2

We usually say: There is no bad weather, there is only bad equipment :loco

gperkins and yokesman like this.
  15. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I recall you mentioned, well it Was awhile , that you dropped some weight. That early jacket may just fit. Another note, our ride has changed as we from the US cant ride legally in Vietnam, according to the travelers insurance requirements so it looks like a jump over to east Malaysia- Sabah n Sarawak, Brunei for us ,besides some multi day rides in Peninsular Malaysia. All on our Yamaha Adventure 150. Good to hear you are having agreat homely visit, on bikes.
    gperkins likes this.
  16. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    One year in Asia saw me drop a total of 26kg's or 57 lbs, crazy eh. One year in Europe has seen me put about 18 kg's back on damn it. By the time we are ready to cross Asia again, this time west to east, I'll resemble th Michelin man once again.

It's a shame about Vietnam, we loved it when we went there as a regular tourist back in 2012. But Sabah and Sarawak is a great alternative. Getting the bike across is a pretty straight forward affair. Either GIGA shipping on one of their RoRo's out of Port Klang once or twice a week to either Kuching or Kotakinabulu. But if this is a little cumbersome or slow, then MAS will fly the bike across, but get your timing right. From memory it is only once a week. But from drop off to pick up is no more than 2 or 3 days.

There is so much to recommend in Borneo, but a stand out for us was the Kinabatangan river and wildlife reserve. If you are after wildlife, this is one place you'll actually see it in SEA. Just lob into the little village and you'll find accomodation no problems. From memory we stayed at B&B Sukau, pretty good.
    Balanda, yokesman and MrKiwi like this.
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. your ride report led us to east malaysia, the postal service has several shipments a week(3 days sailing) (POS) , MAS has the first category of shipments at $107 US for cubs 150cc n under, goes up to $200, so we will look at that, wanted to go to Siri Lanka but not getting any response from RE dealer so east Malaysia, unless MAS will ship to SL reasonably. Thanks for these years of a Real ride report.
  18. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Blimey, you must have been almost as porky as your brother (since he's not reading this and I'm on the other side of the world).

Any idea when you might be in Turkey? I might pop out for another rental and say hello.
    gperkins likes this.
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Brian's good for a laugh, he can give as good as he can take.

Plans a little loose DavidM1 but as it stands at this moment we are taking the ferry from Barcelona to Civitavecchia on March 22nd. We've passed through the south of France numerous times, so it seemed prudent to short cut it across to Italy. I can't see us being in Italy much more than a week. We love Italy, but we've been there many times and the weather in late March may not be too flash. Greece possibly similar amount of time or even a little less. In any case we'll be in Turkey for all of April and most of May. Although it is far from certain, our best guess is that we will initially head south down along the Agean coast ostensibly to catch up with some great people we met 18 months prior. Then we'll make a general anti clockwise lap around Turkey, trying to pick up points of interest that we've not been to yet. Hopefully pushing further into the SE. Some overlanders are venturing into Kurdish controlled Iran. I'm not saying we will and in most cases they enter from Iraq and exit into Turkey, so we'd be going the wrong way, which makes it even more unlikely. In any case as we travel west to east I'm fairly sure that we will be inland, away from the Mediteranian coast.

As early summer comes around we'll swing back up into Bulgaria and spend the rest of the riding season between there and the Alps.

It would be great to catch up if any of the above plan fits with yourself. I've said it many times and really is true, our most cherrished memories are of the countless fantastic people we've met.

By the way I set out in August 16 at 91 kg's and a year later in Tashkent, Uzbekistan I was 65 kg's. I'm 184 cm's or 6'1" in the old money, so I get away with carrying a little extra weight. I'm now back to 85kg, probably 5 more than i'd prefer to be. Lesson here is if you want to loose weight forget Jenny Craig and the rest of those scammers and just head to Aisa, away from the usual tourist traps. Pretty much everyone who does what we did looses weight. I must confess I was a little surprised as to just how much i shed. Kat by the way dropped about 15 kg's.
    Shaggie, roadcapDen, Balanda and 5 others like this.
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    just reading the ride report "far enough east to come back from the west or if you dont try it wont happen", post 30 talks of a missing paper which several travelers had the same problem going into russia from kak on the way into mongolia.FYI post 31 continues the process
    gperkins likes this.