RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for taking the time to document your adventures for all of us to enjoy. Your pictures and insights into where you've travelled have been excellent. And so begins a new phase.
    gperkins likes this.
  2. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    Hi Graeme and Katrina. Been great following your journeys. We met pretty well at the start at the three ways in NT and had a chat while you were packing up. To be honest when you detailed where you were heading my mate and I thought you were both mad. Thanks for proving us right.

We are just out of Coffs Harbour (Urunga) NSW. If you wander past this area in your trips back home give us a yell. Cheers Chris
    gperkins likes this.
  3. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hi DavidM1, that particular crossing is the next one down stream I believe. From Zimnicea to Svishtov in Bulgaria. Crossing over needs a little co-ordination for sure. The ferrys are about 50 klms apart and onlyrun about every 3 hrs. Miss one and you either have a detour or a wait.
    DavidM1 likes this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Cheers and thanks thwak. To keep busy whilst home this time round I think I'll knuckle down, ferret through all our photos and get some books printed. That seems to be what people do now-a-days. I've got whole book shelves full of photo albums, catalouged and noted dating back to my early teen years. Anal, me?Nah, oh maybe a little I suppose. :wink:
    thwak likes this.
  5. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Yep, I remeber, we were camped behind the roadhouse I think, weren't we?

Thanks for the generous offer. But it's very unlikely that we'll make it up your way. All our family are back the other direction, scattered all over Victoria. We've got a trip planned to head down there mid November. Other than that we will be firmly ensconsed at our place half way between Eden and Merimbula. Growing veges and days at the beach fishing and swimming. Of course you are most welcome to drop by, if you happen to be down our way.
  6. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    G&K

Have really really enjoyed your travels, pictures and observations.

Best wishes for whatever comes next.

Cheers

Shane
    gperkins and BarryB like this.
  7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Found it, thanks - http://www.ferry.bg/ferry_en.php
    Also one to Nikopol - http://danube-ebike.net/en/nikopol-turnu-magurele/ - and one to Oryahovo - https://www.untrr.ro/ferry-lines/ferry-boat-bechet-tarrifs.html
    Always good to know your options for crossing the Danube. (Something that was reinforced by my encounter with the Mississippi a couple of years ago - not a lot of crossing points).
    gperkins likes this.
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reports and pics that motivate us,if you do a book, please put it some seasonal travel info. with todays form of Inet searching , trying to get good info to establish a yearly route by season, besides the shipping hoops, leave many loose ends. Not that any situation can preplanned in every detail . Would be nice to be close in our travel plans, to have the maximum time for any given location.
    Winters drag and some summers not much better.
    gperkins likes this.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shaggie, i can certainly say from both Katrina and I, that it is not a one way street at all. The interaction and conversation with other like minded people including the occasional times when we meet up with fellow ADV'ers and can put a face to the text is a highlight for us.
    Shaggie likes this.
  10. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Having crossed the USA 5 times now we can certainly understand your comment about the Mississippi DavidM1.I'm expecting to up that count in the coming years.
  11. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Your right about the planning including timing the season right. Something that I think we are quite adept at. Mind a good dose of luck is always welcome as well. Last year for example here in Europe. Hardly a drop of rain all year. No planning in that, just plain dumb luck. But I'll take it every time.

So far as a book goes. Nah, thats not our thing and is not going to happen. Just the photo books that can be produced on line now days for our own personel record.
  12. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Maybe I've misread things a bit. But I've got a slight suspicion that some think our travels are finnished. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have years ahead of us so far as we can tell. We are just going to try and get a better, for us at least, home and travel balance. Ideally 50/50 if we can achieve it.

This coming 7 months break comes about for a number of reasons. Simply we feel we need a good break. We are currently in a part of the world where the winter can be pretty damn hash and it's foolish to be here then. Also we have a number of preparatory things to take care of, prior to returning to Sofia next April.

Katrina needs to get a new Australian passport, we both need to get muliple Russian visas and we need to attend a US consulate for an interview for our B1/B2 visa for the States. All this takes time and co-ordination and is far easier in our home country. So simply from a practicle aspect we need to be home for a good few months.

Then of course we want to spend time with our two sons, their girlfriends and 3 surviving parents. Our eldest son and his girlfriend are planning to more or less follow in out footsteps through Asia next year, starting in January, but back packing. So if we don't catch up over these next few months, who knows when we will see them next? We are looking into catching up somewhere in Asia next year. But thats just an idea at the moment, co-ordinating it is clearly going to be a bit of an effort. But watch this space, there are a couple of good ideas in the pipe line. I really hope we can pull it off.

So i hope and expect that the Mod's want shut this RR down, for our travels are far from finnished. The H.A.T will continue to travel this world, but just at a slower pace. If that is even possible.

Do remember the offer to host one and all when home is real and genuine. If not this southern summer, then maybe the following break back in Aus, give it some thought.

Ride safe and we'll post once or twice more untill we go into hibernation for the northern winter. :thumb
  13. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi ya Graeme.

I was thinking the same that some thought you had finished but you set out plans clearly enough in earlier posts. Enjoy your break, have fun getting the Russian paperwork done (take a deep breath during that) and I am looking forward to a continuation in about 7 months time...
    gperkins likes this.
  14. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know you’re not gone yet, but I just wanted to add my thanks for your great ride report! I always look forward to it and will be anxiously awaiting your return. Enjoy your holiday! Thanks again to both of you.
    gperkins likes this.
  15. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We as a family visited St Petersburg back in 99. Amazing city for sure and made the pain of getting the visas worth it in the end. But yeah MrKiwi we know full well the hoops you have to jump through to get those pesky Russian visas. For the sake of a $100 ea or there abouts, we will probably use an agency this time.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  16. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Cheers BarryB, thanks for the kind words. It does make the sometimes frustrating updates all worth it, knowing someone gets a little entertainment on the other end. We still, as always do it for our selfish selves, warts and all. But try not to concentrate or dwell too much on the infrequent frustrating or annoying times.
    SmilinJoe, MrKiwi and yokesman like this.
  17. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello there

Is your travel fever under control? Our days are getting noticeably shorter, but a look out of my office window at home helps to relax.

upload_2019-10-19_12-2-51.png
    Yannick, gperkins and MrKiwi like this.
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I remember that view well DunkingBird, not so different from the one I am enjoying right now here at home.

But in answer to your question, "Is your travel fever under control?". An emphatic NO is the response. Katrina and I are methodically planning next year through Russia, Mongolia and onto Japan, with a few side trips here and there.

We've been trying since the outset to meet up with our sons somewhere around the world, but for all sorts of reasons it just has not happened to date. But it looks like there will be a good chance this coming year. Lets just see what eventuates eh.

I would have responded earlier but only yesterday did we get a land line and internet conected to our property. Honestly it was doing our head in. Everything of course is online now days. Applying for our USA, B1/B2 visa for example has been put on hold until we got conected, along with many other chores.

We are still to get one of the garaged bikes here at home back on the road, but hopefully that will be sorted in the next week.
    sick_boy, roadcapDen, Yannick and 3 others like this.
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I never felt that we gave this last years travels the ending that it deserved. There was so much to do, both in Sofia and back home here in Australia that the RR took a back seat whilst we tried to get on top of what seemed a thousand other things.

In any case Katrina and I are now reasonably relaxed back here in our home. The last of the box's are being unpacked, mostly by Katrina I must say. Whilst i've been outside trying to resuscitate our neglected garden. Never, ever again will we let our property out. What is it with most tenents? To be fair we are expeiencing one of the worst draughts on record, which has really taken it's toll on the garden. That doesn't explain the damage and neglect to the house though.

In any case like I said above, plans are progressing nicely for when we return to the bike in late April next year. There is very little to do to prepare the bike for next years travels. Essentially just new chain and sprockets. That will see us pass fairly quickly through Ukraine and onto Russia where the bulk of our time will be spent. We've decided not to go back through the "Stans" for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Russia is huge of course and to have even a remote chance of properly exploring the place we need to be there a good 3 or 4 months. Secondly, we reluctently accepted that we have already been through the Stans. Second time around may dimminish our great experience in that part of the world. Then before the northern riding season goes tits up, we want to get at least a couple of months in Japan. That should see us shipping out of Vladivostok by late August or early Sept on the RoRo service that goes via Sth Korea. Somewhere in there, we really hope to catch up with both our sons and their girlfriends. I think there is a real possability that we can pull it off. I certainly hope so.

[​IMG]
    We owe Nikolay and Milena a huge debt for offering up some space in their garage to house the bike for such a long time. Another great example of the friendship and generosity that we have been shown many times.

[​IMG]
    Nikolay, Milena, Katrina & Graeme.

[​IMG]
    Flying over country not so far from our home. We are in the middle of Spring and the paddocks should be green with grass up to your knees. Australia is prone to severe draughts, but this is on a whole other level.

[​IMG]
    Two minutes later we were on the ground at our little local airport here at Merimbula. Yep it's good to be home for 6 months. But bring on 2020. :ricky :dukegirl :beer :pynd
    sick_boy, Yannick, SmilinJoe and 6 others like this.
  20. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am impressed with the energy by which you both meet the whims of life :getiton:bow
    MrKiwi and gperkins like this.