RTW on a H.A.T. In the slow lane.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gperkins, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lovely red bike Mmmmm.
    gperkins likes this.
  2. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Graeme
    Thanks for your udate. Even if the internet has its problematic sides, it is wonderful to be in contact with the outside world.
    New South Wales seems to handle the current restrictions similar to Switzerland. So I treat myself to an occasional bicycle ride.
    upload_2020-4-27_8-18-17.png
    Greetings from the home office
    Yannick, gperkins and MrKiwi like this.
  3. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I love everything about that bike. It's looks, it's sound, basso profundo as the Italians would say. It just go's and go's with no complaint. Some of my most memorable riding was on the Le Mans around the Alps. Bellissima! :raabia
    MrKiwi likes this.
  4. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We certainly live in similar enviroments. I just have to visualise mountains and you beach and ocean.
    DunkingBird and MrKiwi like this.
  5. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So are the fires gone down there? We don’t get a lot of Aussie news in the US.
  6. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Fires are all out BarryB and have been for maybe 2 months.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And did I see yesterday that the fire season is now officially over for another year?
  8. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Not really sure MrKiwi, but certainly there is now no risk.
  9. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Firstly I really want to say how much we appreciate people following and contributing to our journey, without you all I'm not at all sure I'd put the effort in. But for now the RR needs to go into a rest period. The last thing I want is the RR to be frozen out due to it wandering too far from the travel narrative. If anything changes, by some miracle we return to Europe earlier than expected for example, then certainly you'll see it here as soon as we know.

If for some reason someone wants to contact either Katrina OZKAT or myself just PM via the usual channels here on ADV.

There could be an interview in the winds, but nothing for sure just yet. If it happens then I'll certainly post here.

Also I keep telling myself that there is probably a story to tell of our trip around Nth America back in 84 on the HD. But can I be arsed to put it all together, I'm not at all sure?

So untill we return to the bike, stay safe, get out and ride if you can and we'll see you all back here when the world returns to some kind of normality. :ricky
    Yannick, Briggski, TDC_ERock and 9 others like this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Ooooh, yes, HD stories in NA!
    gperkins likes this.
  11. cwc

cwc .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your excellent work on this report. I'll leave you on the watch list.
    If you do get to NA and even Minnesota I'd be happy to see you. I've moved and the house is a little more modest but the workshop is MUCH better than what I had in 84.
    gperkins likes this.
  12. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've scanned through some areas of your RR. I'm thinking about riding Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, and Croatia next year or the year after-Virus situation pending. I appreciate the time put in to your RR. I always do RR's as I go. I read where others have gone deciding what I want to see. I feel it is an obligated pay back to our forum.

"I " just looked at what "I" wrote and realized "I" started all 6 sentences with "I". "I" think "I" have a problem and need to change my ways.
    Eye am going to beat this problem eye have.
  13. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    We really enjoyed riding and exploring the Balkans Doogle. Here along with Turkey in 2019 essentially extended our RTW journey by a year. At the end of 18 we decided we needed to give a lot more time to this area before moving on and we don't regret that choice for a minute. Just be mindful that the Balkans can be surprisingly wet in the spring, hence that time was spent in Turkey for us. But thats perfect, summer in Turkey is blisteringly hot.

We, like most everyone else have written off 2020, we just hope that by April next year we can get back into routine, but hell, who knows. We still have restrictions on interstate travel here in Australia. They are talking about "maybe" opening up air travel to New Zealand by years end. None of that is particularly promising for travelling next year I must say. Esspecially if your plans include Russia, Mongolia and beyond. :dunno

In any case, when the situation allows I thouroughly recommend Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, and Croatia, it's riding heaven.
    911timo, Yannick and roadcapDen like this.
  14. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are things going for you two? Hope all is well.
  15. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Hi SmilinJoe, Katrina and I are doing well. We stay busy here on our little piece of paradise. Mostly knocking the garden back into shape after 3 1/2 years of neglect.

We continue to plan for next year. Hope being that we can head east as planned all along. Ukraine, Russia, Mongolia, Russia, Japan and then hop the bike over to Nth America before the weather goes tits up for the year. But and it's a big but. It totally depends upon the C-V19 situation come April next year. Without a vaccine and some kind of normality, we just can't see the above panning out. Crossing borders, 2 weeks quarrentine, every time you do so, just won't work for any kind of overlanding. If we can't, then we need to carefully assess what to do. Maybe a 2 month jolly around Europe out of the busy high summer season, then fly the bike west to Nth America. But honestly we just don't know and it's all speculation at this time.

In any case, I keep myself off the streets and busy, throwing this little edifice together. Still some ways to go before we are finnished. But if any of you riff raff ever make it over our way. Pizza and beers on Graeme & Katrina.
    [​IMG]

Take it easy one and all and we'll pick up here again soon enough we hope. The next 9 months or so will fly by I'm sure.
    911timo, Geezerguy, Smidty and 13 others like this.
  16. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What time should I arrive?
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Pizza is your preference , we can find some here in Idaho along with the empty room-bath.
    gperkins likes this.
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of having the Bega crew around at some stage, maybe summer, stay posted and we'll see what happens roscoau. :dukegirl
  19. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    Pizza & Beer, rib eye & Moet we're not fussy yokesman :lol3. All jokes aside, thanks for your genorous offer. I've said it before I know. But we've always enjoyed our visits to the USA & Canada and I mean that. The hospitality has always been second to none. It's been 18 years since we were there last, so it's high time we made it back. But as we all know, everything is down to this damn virus at the moment. We can't even leave Australia for now.

From the outset of our journey, many Nth Americans have followed and we'd love to catch up with as many as is possible when we finally get across there. And you know what, Idaho is one of the few states we haven't been to. Just looking at a map, it's occured to me that we have been to every state and province that borders Idaho, but never Idaho itself.

To arrive in Europe in late April 2021 as hoped, we need certainty on the virus front by mid March, for 6 weeks is the lead time we need to procure our Russian visas.

So in short Katrina and I are doing well. If anyone has any questions just shoot us a private msg. All else being equal we will be back here and resurrect this RR in about mid March when hopefully we will have good news and a clear picture going forward. Hopefully by then our Russian visas are beginning to be processed.
    Yannick, SmilinJoe, thwak and 6 others like this.
  20. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll look forward to it! :cool:
    gperkins likes this.