RTW on a thumper... Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Jul 18, 2012.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year to all you guys out there, winter will be over soon then its time to ride again...:clap

ran down to the strip (Vegas) and took a couple of shots last night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy 2015 Paul! Beautiful pictures :clap
  3. Philb772

Philb772 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning images. Happy New Year also.
  4. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    You really are a good photographer. Two Thumbs Up: :thumbup:thumbup
  5. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say great.

Regards,

Derek
  6. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul, hope your new year is awesome bro! I slipped out of my routine of following your report and now have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. I blame it on moving to a new state and getting caught up with riding all this killer new terrain. Just started pulling my 625 apart to get it ready to do the Arizona BDR this coming late spring. I hope you have some great riding planned for this year man!

Chuck
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:

I just got my hands on a 625SMC frame that has the 'oil in frame' so my bike will be coming apart in the next few weeks once it returns from Europe and be upgraded.

Planning on about 13,000 miles of dirt this summer and not wanting to change oil every 1000 miles so this will help a lot

i'll be on the AZBDR in the fall
  8. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fall? Bah! I would love a partner to do it with. It is looking like I will solo it at the moment. I like your SMR frame idea. Fewer oil changes is something I support.

By the way, how did you like the work done to your suspension? I need my bumpers gone over and am looking for a good guy.
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i'm going to do vegas to NYC, then TAT to OR, then up to Canada, then south on the CDR, and north on the AZBDR...hence fall

My suspension is excellent, get in touch with Les he really knows his sh*t
  10. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, the TAT is one of my must do's. I bet it will kick ass on a 625 too. The riding you are planning on should be epic.
  11. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    Paul, to get from NYC to the start of the TAT, check out the Trans-eastern Trail thread. Great routes put together to get around the east coast using a good amount of dirt. I rode 1200 miles on the TeT a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

There is also the Blue Ridge Trail. I have not ridden that route, so I can not personally speak of what it is like. It does get good reviews from others. On the downside, it does not get you to Jellico directly.
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    i was going to take gpskevins new add on from NYC to Tellico as i have some family that live only a few miles from its start point, but i'll check out the TET, i forgot all about that one, thanks
  13. GhostRiderFC

GhostRiderFC Just a guy who rides

Oddometer:
    Can you send me that link to the stuff we were looking at for 2016?

Is this year going to be some sort of scouting mission? Plus... plus... plus?
  14. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Pretty sure the Kevgps route follows the TET for most of the way.

Nick.
  15. MrGoldfish

MrGoldfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally caught back up! Looking forward to the next installment. Are you planning on doing North America solo or is Jenn gonna go along for the ride?
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    North America is going to be my last hurrah as a solo ride before the RTW continues two up

As i am the proud owner of the RTW plate (on my KTM), which BTW is a pain the ass, cause every country i went thru requires a number in their plate section in the computer...especially Russia, they gave me a bunch of sh*t at one crossing

I got the new plate for the Super Tenere last week

[​IMG]
  17. Caymen8

Caymen8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul! Just got caught up on your report by reading it on my lunch hour every day for a couple of months. What a fantastic story!

I love your photography and love your narrative as well. Congrats on the new bike and congrats on the new lady. I'm looking forward to following along as your adventure continues.

If you need a place to stay in Denver, let me know.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    so i broke down in September and had to leave my bike in Předměřice nad Labem, Czech Republic. Even though KTM head quarters is only 409km's away it didn't help me at all

[​IMG]

they didn't have parts in stock to fix it, and the parts couldn't be sourced locally or anywhere in Europe at that time, so i had to leave it and hop on a plane to get home not knowing how long the fix would take :cry

searching Europe eventually parts were found and the repair was going to be made, but with winter quickly coming i decided the better part of valor was not to come back and carry on riding but to quit the RTW at that point.

I had completed the main areas i wanted to so i was 95% happy and as bad weather was forecast and more expensive countries were ahead of me

i received an email that my bike was ready early November as parts had been sourced, and the repair was only realistically a day or so's worth of work.

once it was done now was the chore of getting it back to me in the US, i had to arrange a truck to collect from Czech, to transport it to England as that would be the cheapest way to get it home

loading bike in Czech

[​IMG]

next was shipping it to the US, sea freight was $750 - $900 then there would be additional charges at the docks, usually around $150 +, then i have to drive to the docks, probably LA was closest to collect = more expense

or i could fly it, I contacted James Cargo and they told me they could fly it into Las Vegas for $1095 + $55 in Vegas for clearing

Ok lets do it...just one minor glitch :huh because its the run up to Christmas costs increase, so the next option was pay the additional fees or wait...

i decided to wait, weather and all, what was the rush

so James Cargo held the bike in their warehouse, didn't charge me any storage fees and shipped it yesterday

[​IMG]

...and this evening its in my garage

[​IMG]

so at this point i have decided to end this report here, i'd like to thank all the people i met, ones that helped along the way, ones that donated beer/ gas money etc or bought my books and everyone for reading my drivel :lol3 and looking at my attempts at photography

long distance riding has become an addiction for me now...i will be continuing RTW...if you have read this report recently you'll know it'll be on a Super Tenere and that will begin hopefully Jan 2016 so look out for that...i'll post a link on here when it gets started if you want to follow, it'll be a two up ride on a big bike so i think deservedly needs its own report

i have started a post in the pic's thread HERE as i am reviewing all the photos i took and posting them with 'a little' post production, all that i am showing is MY favorites

...but that isn't going to keep me busy until next Jan so i have planned a stateside ride this summer on the KTM. I calculated it out around 14,000 +/-miles and maybe 12,000 + on dirt and camping as much as possible to keep costs to an absolute minimum

I have put together a west to east cross country, and the TET, TAT, ORBDR, WABDR, CDR, AZBDR and UTBDR, and then added extras i found on here and on GPSxchange to link it all together whilst i wait for 2016 to arrive, if you are on the route let me know so i can stop by and say hello or thank you and share a beer or a tent space to camp

so if you see a title pop up with the following...thats me.

"The most extreme ride you can do in North America in one summerÂ…maybe???"

bye for now and see you out there this summer...:deal
  19. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your new RTW report. Until then keep us posted with your BDR adventures :D
  20. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN

Oddometer:
    This was such an awesome report! Thank you for sharing.

Our ride reports crossed in Mongolia and in California, as a coworker's friend was on the Kudu Expedition that got FUBARed. I came across the Kudu Toyota at the Oasis last summer.
    All the best to you, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter...

Tahoe