RTW Solo Melbourne > London 2020 (Middle-East/Europe Leg)

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by DylanGeorgeField, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DylanGeorgeField

DylanGeorgeField Adventure | AU

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Would you help me out with trip planning my Middle East/Europe leg?

The Asia Pacific thread is here.

Timeline: April > November 2020 (6-8months)
    Distance: 50,000km approx
    Bike: CRF250 Rally

Criteria:
    - Must go to Kermanshah, Iran
    - Must go to Tovo, Italy
    - Cannot go to Paris
    - Hit the Goodwood Revival 17th September

Looking for:
    - Mountains
    - Remote areas
    - National Parks
    - Historical Points of Interest
    - Culture and Food

Background:
    I toured America for 3-months when my partner's visa to Australia was rejected. I loved it so much I needed to keep riding. I met a guy called Drew (Blokes on Spokes) at a bucks party prior and told me he'd ridden from Melbourne to Austria. I met him when I got home. He suggested the route you see here with minor additions.

My partner is Iranian and likes in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I'm doing this trip while we wait for her marriage visa to process in Australia for 12+ months. I can ship the bike to Malaysia and wait for it. I'll ride Asia/Himalayas/Kashmir and meet her in Iran. Where I'll meet her family and maybe killed by her father.

I'll continue to Europe from there. I'd love to visit historial sites and be a tourist. See Italy where my family came from and venture into the Swiss Alps. I'm contemplating going north from there and avoiding Spain but I'd love to go to the mountains there and head up the French coast. I don't know what the riding is like through Europe and I've never been.

This trip is completely self-funded and some parts generously supplied by:
    - Andy Strapz
    - Barkbusters
    - B&B Offroad
    - Lightforce

If you're interested in the bike I'll be on the Honda CRF250 Rally thread.

All tips, suggestions, routes, places to stay, warnings, prayers and support appreciated.

If we can ride together let me know :freaky

[​IMG]
  2. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    If you get far enough north, Norway is wonderful and meets your criteria of remote, mountains and good roads!

We have found Northern Europe a bit expensive .... think $15 aud a beer in a bar or $6 a can in a shop! You can live cheaply and lots of camping possibilities. Narrow riding season as you get north!
  3. DylanGeorgeField

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. It maybe a stretch on the timeline. I'll camp if I do. What's the window Peter?
  4. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    We’re here now and it just shut on us yesterday!

4EE794BA-09E0-444D-B880-61B1A12F8203.jpeg 6413F65E-CA9C-47A2-BC14-7BB83BF639A6.jpeg 3B7FC3E3-0721-4E8D-ACEE-DA630B07B10C.jpeg 3DAE1CFC-B6EF-438D-AB7E-CE3C93D4E5DA.jpeg AC1F4C1B-DC76-4048-B551-37BEDE3DFEAB.jpeg 26BAC7AB-4699-4EA8-B84D-BD1762F0724A.jpeg
    dooby and glitch_oz like this.
  5. DylanGeorgeField

Oddometer:
    October maybe pushing it.

If I do get there it'll be late August/September. Then go to the UK and Scotland. I'm not sure if it's as cool as Norway that this time of year.

I bloody hope not

Edit: It looks beautiful though. How's the ice?
  6. Huffduff

Huffduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice voyage you're planning. I did Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Turkey, and the Balkans 2015. Have a look at my ride report (link in my signature) for inspiration, and just ask if you have more specific questions.

If your route goes through the Georgian Caucasus (I can't quite tell from your map), check out Tushetia. That was one of my highlights during that trip.
    See here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-vo...er-the-black-sea.1122535/page-8#post-31413949
  7. DylanGeorgeField

Oddometer:
    Wow, yes I will.

Looks like you had many highlights. I was told to ferry down the Caspian to Iran until I saw the mountains of Georgia! I hope Russia give me a visa.

Great photos and story. How did the duffel bag/soft luggage go for security?
  8. Huffduff

Huffduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Georgian caucasus is spectacular.
    No problems with theft, except for an almost empty can of chainlube, which was stolen from an outside pocket of the panniers, while parking overnight in front of a hotel. I had steel wires to secure the panniers (more of a psychological barrier to keep honest people honest than an actual hindrance to a determined thief). However that was a bit inconsequential, since the duffel was unsecured.
  9. DylanGeorgeField

Oddometer:
    That's great news, I'm going to run soft gear with a laptop pelican case. It sounds like I can do without.

I had a first-aid kit stolen from my bike in Washington D.C. I'll invest in a lockable strap for the panniers. Opportunists seems like all I have to worry about.