RTW the Jamie Z Way: California is the place you outta be.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    July 14, 2021

Cannontracks - Black Hills

Screenshot_20210718-085457_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

Pam invited me on my way back through South Dakota. We visited the Dacotah Prairie Museum in Aberdeen.

20210713_153303~2.jpg

The historic building used to house the telephone exchange system and there is a room full of telephone equipment among the exhibits.

20210713_145518~2.jpg

Notice the label on the rotary is the same as my grandfather’s phone.

20210713_144842~2.jpg

After the museum we went over to Wylie Park; there is a small zoo on site.

20210713_155841~2.jpg

And a train!

20210713_160451~2.jpg

Aberdeen was the short-term home of L. Frank Baum, you might recognize that name as the author of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Mr Baum ran a variety store in town for a year.

Of course there is a yellow brick road.

20210713_163806~2.jpg

Through the Haunted Forest.

20210713_162320~2.jpg

With talking trees.

20210713_161422~2.jpg

Seriously, talking trees. This is a super awesome park. We rode the carousel.

20210713_162933~2.jpg

And then beer and a cheese platter.

20210713_173708~2.jpg

After visiting Pam, I had plans to meet Cannonshot, as he was riding in from Wisconsin. We agreed to meet in the small town of Martin, South Dakota. I got a late start, so I had to ride straight through… I stopped for a late lunch in Fort Pierre.

20210714_150703~2.jpg

I met Cannonshot and we rode 40 miles to Wounded Knee. And map-master Cannonshot asked me to take the lead. :lol3

20210714_175904~2.jpg

The Wounded Knee site was not what I expected. I did a bit of my own research about the events here in 1890 when 250 Lakota were killed and 25 soldiers died in action. Today, there’s the red wooden memorial, and a quarter mile away is the cemetery where unknown victims were buried in a mass grave.

Finally, mountains!

20210714_185420~2.jpg

We stopped in the ghost town of Scenic.

20210714_191653~2.jpg

Cannonshot told me a bit about this place, that a religious organization purchased the town for $750,000, but he could find very little information about its past history.

We stopped to pick up some dinner and beer. Yesterday and today I encountered a few restaurants which have closed their dining rooms; one had a sign out front stating “Due to lack of staff…” And so with Subway near Rapid City. We walked through the drive-through.

20210714_201138~2.jpg

Cannonshot had picked out a campsite in a national forest.

20210715_075954~2.jpg

I think today was among my highest mileage days of the entire trip.
  2. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There might be the occasional one-off September snowfall on the highest mountain passes, but September is definitely not too late for riding in BC, other than maybe in the far north. As for any mountain range anywhere, just watch the weather forecast if you're going to higher elevations.
    Chip Seal and Hill Climber like this.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s some serious panniers action right there. If you break down, he can fit you, and your bike on his bike, and keep going.

B9B2D5D8-6DFD-44DC-884A-1DD067EFD496.jpeg
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I have a Honda.

You BMW guys. :loco
    roadcapDen, Krabill, Andyota and 56 others like this.
  5. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :jjen Don't you know they're sensitive????

:zilla
    jon_l, jdfog2 and y2blade like this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Great last couple of updates @Jamie Z! So frickin' cool to hook up with different folks from here and share time together; as well as connect with old friends. That telephone exchange museum was neat, and that small amusement park you hit...had no idea something like that was out there.

Looking at the overall Spotwalla map of your travels...holy hell man - that's seriously something. And one of the coolest things; it's just going to keep growing and getting more interesting.

Sincere thanks for taking us along your journey, realize you're an inspiration for folks like me who cannot undertake an adventure like this at this time of life. Hell, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do something like this, but your travels and stories are what I aspire to...so thank you.

Sticky side down man.
    WeazyBuddha likes this.
  8. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Jamie Z How was the RevZilla event? good????

btw your food pics are the best, I can't wait to visit the USA someday....I'll be fasting beforehand though, the portion sizes look ridiculous!!!! :D
    RTWstare likes this.
  9. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Word.
    orv and y2blade like this.
  10. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i was disappointed when this wasn't open

[​IMG]
    jon_l, y2blade and Jamie Z like this.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Alamo was closed too. Did we surrender or something?:D

On a serious note, that flag has an interesting historical background. I guess that's what Jamie referred to about a religious group buying the property. Apparently as a Baptist, they feel I'm going to hell as well as anyone else not in step with them. And once again man intervenes with his personal religion to tell God how it's done.:lol3
    nutmagnet likes this.
  12. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

actually i had no idea what the flag was, as matter of fact i thought it was a mexican flag at the time

i did wonder but not for long

[​IMG]

because i was thristy :lol3

[​IMG]

sorry for the high jack, jamie :D
    LTRyder, y2blade and ozmoses like this.
  14. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    You're such a post ho'!
    red bud and dano619 like this.
  15. 68T120R

68T120R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denver, Colorado United States of America
    Jamie Z likes this.
  16. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hi Jamie! It was nice meeting and chatting with you. I don't usually take many pictures when I am on a ride, but I did get a few of you and your bike that I'll share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for accommodations. Turned out the BLM campsite was better.
    [​IMG]
  17. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, I saw your bike at the rally but I don't think I talked to you...next year.

Good to meet you Jamie. Thanks for talking to me even though I was a bit snobbish staying in the plywood palace down on the end. :lol3
    Cannonshot and Jamie Z like this.
  18. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. CuberBob

CuberBob Lurker/roamer

Oddometer:
    I love the relive app, except i forgot to turn off the "specs" for the ride including top speed. Whoops. (Wife was already a tad anxious....)
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    July 15, 2021

ADV Fest, Day 1.

Screenshot_20210720-075512_Firefox~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

When I woke up first thing in the morning, I poked my head out of the tent. Cannonshot hadn’t stirred. I planned to get up and out when I heard him packing up camp

Next time I looked outside, his tent was gone, the picnic table was cleaned up, and there was no sign of Cannonshot. I'd never heard a peep. For a moment, I thought he might have taken off, but then I saw his bike parked in the lot.

Shortly another man walked down to our campsite and introduced himself. Bigjohnsd knew where we were camped and came by in the morning while running some errands.

I packed up my stuff and Cannonshot and made the short trip into Sturgis for breakfast. We ended up at McDonald’s owing to the long line at the cafe where we first stopped. Big John saw our bikes and came inside.

20210715_105056~2.jpg

Cannonshot and I made a loop of the area before heading over to Buffalo Chip to check into the Revzilla ADV Fest. We stopped at an auto parts store so I could pick up some WD40, a brush, and some rags to clean my chain.

We were one of the first people to check in. While Cannonshot had a cabin, I found an empty spot in the vast camping area and set up my tent in the shadow of Bear Butte.

20210715_141607~2.jpg

Full disclosure: I was invited by the people at Revzilla and ADVrider to attend the event.

After I set up camp another guy pulled in next to me riding a V-Strom. Eddie is from Georgia and this is his first long motorcycle trip. We chatted for a bit and then I walked around to get my bearings.

If you didn’t already know, Buffalo Chip is an enormous facility, many hundreds, if not thousands of acres. As the days passed, I got a better understanding of just how large it is.

The ADV Fest occupied just a small fraction of the space. They had a corner marked out for us for camping, though the entire camping area stretched out far beyond.

At least a hundred port-a-potties were spread out; almost all of them were locked.

20210719_072431~2.jpg

We had a few toilets up near the front; the rest were prepared for the main event coming up in a few weeks.

A couple of vendors were set up outside the Big Engine Bar, itself gigantic. Harley Davidson was there with a fleet of their new Pan America.

20210715_175547~2.jpg

They even have their own repair shop.

20210715_175526~2.jpg

This first day of ADV Fest coincided with the annual flag-raising ceremony at Buffalo Chip. To be honest, I don’t know much about this tradition, but I understand they do this each year before Bike Week. First a huge flag is raised on two poles, and then the gathered crowd helps erect over 800 ground-level flags.

20210715_184052~2.jpg

20210715_182941~2.jpg

If you didn’t already guess, most of the people were not here for ADV Fest, but I did see a handful of ADV folks raising flags, including myself.

20210715_182809~2.jpg

During the flag raising ceremony, a fellow came up to me and called me by name. He introduced himself as John and told me he’d read my ride report here. I feel terrible because I never got a picture of John and me despite repeatedly running into him over the next few days, and I never got his screen name here. John, if you read this, my apologies. I thought it was super cool that you recognized me and came over to introduce yourself.

I wandered around a while after the flag ceremony to get my bearings, though there wasn’t much to see. Other riders were showing up.

20210715_174728~2.jpg

At 7:30pm they held a welcoming party outside the bar on a temporary stage. This event was “sponsored by ADVrider,” and I expected to see some big-wigs from here show up. We got free drink coupons from ADVrider, but aside from that, there was no mention of this site.

If you watch any Revzilla review videos (of course you do), you’ll recognize Spurgeon.

20210715_194933~2.jpg

They explained what would be going on, the routes published by Rever, the Harley Davidson and BMW demo rides, the daily morning briefings, and encouraging everyone to meet up with others for group rides.

I hung around for a while after the announcements, got a bite to eat at one of the vendors, and ordered a few beers from the mostly-empty bar.

20210715_214451~2.jpg

While eating, another man came up and asked me, “Are you Jamie Z?” Bob had read my ride report. I heard immediately that we were from the same place. I grew up in southern Minnesota. And again… I never got a picture of Bob and me.