1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

RTW the Jamie Z Way: Denver Colorado, USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed something... what's Caps Word?

East coast is looking more and more inviting.

This loop up through the US is more for visiting friends than seeing the local sites... It's been great seeing folks I haven't seen in quite a while.

That would have been great!

I stopped at the Abita brewery in 2015 and it's among the top breweries I've ever visited. And I like their beer!

I should also add that I'm currently in Memphis and I'll be here for the next week or so... if anyone local wants to get together for a ride or a beer or BBQ or somesuch.
    y2blade, EZ-D, Bapeter11 and 3 others like this.
  2. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were you able to get vaccinated? The risks for unvaccinated people remain as high as ever. This would be a sucky way to derail your trip. I don't know how you'll get your second dose 3 weeks after the first, but maybe having a vaccination card would help.
  3. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Tech support question.

I'm trying to diagnose a non-charging problem from my Juiced Squeeze. I think the problem is in this connector:

20210530_210226~2.jpg

If I jiggle this connector, the phone will start to charge. If I fully seat the connector, the charging is intermittent. Is there a way to fix this connector to make provide for a secure connection?
    advrockrider likes this.
  4. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    In my experience, it's usually the connection from the connector to the cord. The weird intermittent behavior you mention has been the rule in almost every audio cable I've ever owned. I assume it is also true with a power cable. If it is possible to resolder the connection, then that is likely your solution. Sadly, it is usually not possible to get into the guts of molded connectors.
  5. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second the notion that a solder connection to either one of the plugs is making intermittent connection.
    If it's off warranty, take it to an electronics shop and have them dive into it. (Personally, I'd give it a go, opening up the plugs and re-solder.. delicate work... maybe one of your friends you're going to visiting has equipment you could use?) It might be easier to just simply replace the mating set with another waterproof set. (Google search: ) If you have the newest updated V2 Fast Charge Puck, they've upgraded the wire to 20 gauge (awg), so easier to work with.
    I'd have on hand a set of mated plugs in the event you can't get into the molded plugs before attempting the repair.

Careful when stripping the wires to solder you don't lose any strands when removing the outer insulation... you need every strand.
    Waterproof connectors similar to these will serve you well:

https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Connector-1-5mm-Terminal/dp/B01A6LTK44/ref=sr_1_6?crid=9GUCZ4OJS519&dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+waterproof+connectors+2+pin&qid=1622437531&sprefix=12+volt+waterproof+conne,aps,213&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/ZUOZE-Connector-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B08ZYVL83D/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=9GUCZ4OJS519&dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+waterproof+connectors+2+pin&qid=1622437531&sprefix=12+volt+waterproof+conne,aps,213&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExS1IyWTg5SkNRSFg0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDExNjIxV1JDM1dWU0M5TzJEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NzIzOTNXN1VVWU1OTERUUEkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Use some suitable sized shrink tubing to make the job look professional.

@FinTec may be able to help with this? He certainly looks to be very capable with the machine he built !!
    Jamie Z, Animo and mpusms like this.
  6. dennism

dennism dennism

Oddometer:
    Give both sides a shot of Deoxit D5, work them together a few times to dislodge any crud, then give each side a final shot of Deoxit D5 and try them again. Works most times for me, especially on low-current connections.

Then keep the D5 for on-the-road problems. It's magic stuff. G'luck Dennis.
    Jamie Z and Wattner like this.
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20210601-083703_Chrome~2.jpg

On Tuesday I made plans to ride south to the small community of Venice. The big industries in Venice are oil, shrimping, and sportfishing. The town holds a special place in my memory, as it’s the place where my friend Matt and I finished our trip down the Mississippi river in 2000.

20210525_130149~2.jpg

The town has changed a lot. Katrina destroyed many of the homes and businesses. I’ve been here a couple of times since then.

If you follow the road all the way to the end, you come across a sign that says (incorrectly) that it’s the southernmost point in Louisiana. The road is flooded now. It’s not deep, but it’s brackish water, and I didn’t want to take my bike through it.

20210525_124956~2.jpg

There is a lot less happening here than I recall the last few times I’ve been here.

20210525_133023~2.jpg

You can see a lot of wildlife including these redbill ducks, which probably have a proper name.

20210525_134129~2.jpg

I wanted to ride around town for more photos, but I just didn’t find much which looked interesting, and I had very little energy.

On the way north, I stopped at Fort Jackson, originally constructed in the 1820s.

20210525_140339~2.jpg

The fort is closed currently… though I’m not sure the circumstances. I know it has suffered a lot of damage from several big hurricanes. And of course, covid.

20210525_140422~2.jpg

There is a great Mississippi River viewpoint here.

20210525_142332~2.jpg

On the ride back to John and Jamie’s house in New Orleans, I kept feeling sleepy. I decided to stop for late lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant.

20210525_150607~2.jpg

I had to wait at a drawbridge for a boat to pass.

20210525_155109~2.jpg

When I got back, John invited me to join him with his friend Eric for a couple of beers.

20210525_213733~2.jpg

I met John and Jamie back in 2000 when Matt and I paddled the Mississippi river. At the time Matt and I were on the river, Jamie’s dad was doing the same thing. Her dad and I have since become good friends, and he and his wife live not too far away in Mississippi.

In the morning I rode over to an iconic New Orleans stop.

20210526_122637~2.jpg

Unfortunately with covid restrictions, the beignets are for carryout only. I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed watching the busy waitstaff running beignets and coffee around the dining area. Today you have to wait in a line and they hand out the beignets in a paper sack.

Then I headed east, crossing a handful of lift bridges.

20210526_140510~2.jpg

Once again, I felt depleted. I had no energy to stop for photos or to explore the numerous side roads I saw leading down near the water.

I crossed into Mississippi.

20210526_140934.jpg

I lived in Mississippi off-and-on from 1997 until I moved to Colorado in 2015.

When I got to Jerry’s house, he suggested we ride his golf cart over to the clubhouse for a couple of drinks. His wife Jeanne would meet us there.

20210526_171130~2.jpg

Add another mode of transportation to my growing list!

After drinks, we all returned to Jerry and Jeanne’s house for more drinks and then dinner.

20210526_195313~2.jpg

As we talked into the evening I mentioned the fatigue I’ve been feeling the past few days and they suggested it was a side effect of my covid vaccine. I think/hope they’re right. I’d like that feeling to go away soon.
  8. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heard from several friends that the vaccine knocked them down for anywhere from 1 - 3 days. One friend said that she had no ill effects from the first shot, but the second shot had her feeling "puny" (she's from Texas). :D I used to hear that word growing up, it's been a while.
    Hope you get back to feeling yourself soon!
  9. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a problem with my charging on my perfect squeeze, one call to Hondo garage and they had a new cable out to me before I left for Baja. Only problem I ever had and customer service was top notch, for me it was faster then taking the whole thing apart and still not fixing it.
    Hill Climber likes this.
  10. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found it interesting on that route just how many different designs there were for movable bridges. I'm curious if the differences were due to factors particular to each location, or if the engineers were just bored and wanted to experiment.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    OK Jamie...trivia time...LOL! You mention their claim to being the southernmost spot in LA. Isn't that actually hwy 1 down at Port Fourchon? My wife and I have stayed at Grand Isle State Park a couple of times over the years which angles slightly back to the NE of Port Fourchon, and I always thought Port Fourchon looked to be the southernmost location you can drive to in LA by just looking at the map. Never saw any signs claiming such but asking just for fun.

Man, you are so right about how that whole coastal area of LA has been hit by storms in recent times. I have relatives in Biloxi, so my wife and I have been along the coastal route of LA quite a bit RV'ing over the years. Holly Beach on the extreme eastern coastal area of LA has been wiped out twice in a relatively short time.
  12. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your B-12 levels - maybe take a multi vitamin daily. My brother was just diagnosed with
    Pernicious Anemia
  13. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a life long southern Louisiana resident, who has fished and navigated nearly everywhere here, and as a genuine bridge enthusiast as well, I can assure you, they weren't "bored". :) Swinging bridges are placed where the span is relatively short, where the boats running through there are relatively narrow and high, and are a good choice for cost savings for construction (less moving parts) and maintenance (concrete deck, less painting). Counterweight bridges (Draw bridges) are used generally in the opposite scenarios. Over truss bridges can hold more weight over a longer span (railroad is a good example), but are expensive and make navigation for all but the smallest vessels difficult.

@TNC - you are correct, the end of Hwy 1 is as far south as you can go IN LOUISIANA without a boat. However, Holly Beach is on the southWESTern coast of our State, and yes, it did get devastated by Hurricanes Laura and Delta last year.

Let's hope for calmer winds this year!
    Jory, garfey, BarryB and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    My head's in Mississippi.

Screenshot_20210602-113716_Chrome~2.jpg

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/fad5-5fe4c-4716/view

I left Jerry and Jeanne’s place in the morning heading north through Mississippi. Jerry gave me a copy of his book. I appear in the pages somewhere, but I haven’t started reading it yet. I'm curious what Jerry has to say about me.

20210602_113245~2.jpg

I lived in Mississippi for the better part of 17 years, though the terrain here is different from what I’m more used to in northern Mississippi. The day was unseasonably refreshing. I picked a good time to ride through the South.

20210527_143815~2.jpg

Roads in Mississippi are flat and straight, but the pavement is usually in good condition owing to the mild climate.

Mississippi is filled with churches, and I stopped here to take a break.

20210527_150315~2.jpg

Another sign in Mississippi.

20210527_135216~2.jpg

Mississippi is/was the last state in the union to fly the Confederate flag. The flag was recently changed, but out here in the country, there are still quite a few people flying the old flag.

20210527_161935~2.jpg

I stopped to visit a friend in southern Mississippi and went for dinner.

20210527_194633~2.jpg

I’ve been craving crawfish.

20210527_201812~2.jpg

20210527_203910~2.jpg

Heading north, I stayed off the main roads.

20210529_113123~2.jpg

20210529_123517~2.jpg

Next I went through Jackson and stopped at the old Mississippi river model, which was used to simulate flooding events. You know, before we had computers.

20210529_125108~2.jpg

I’ve wanted to see this place for a while now. It’s almost entirely abandoned, but still easily accessible through a little-used park. I tried to picture this place when it was in pristine condition.

20210529_132134~2.jpg

On the way north I went through the town of Money, a sobering site in the history of the civil rights movement. It was here where 14-year old Emmett Till was kidnapped and killed in 1955 and his admitted murderers found not guilty.

20210529_155203~2.jpg

I rode out to the Tallahatchie River site where Emmett Till’s body was found.

20210529_164052~2.jpg

There’s no getting away from the long history of racial problems in this part of the country, and it’s quite a shock to me to return here. In the short time I spent passing north through Mississippi, I saw numerous Confederate flags and even experienced casual racist comments from a couple of locals I encountered. We still have a long way to go.

Here’s a picture of a happy cat.

20210529_172307~3.jpg

And a scene outside Clarksdale.

20210529_174947~2.jpg

I’m staying in Memphis with my friends Tim and Dawn and we went to Central BBQ for some much-anticipated pork sandwiches.

20210529_220600~2.jpg

It was as good as I remember.

20210529_220617~2.jpg
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I've talked to several people about vaccine side effects, and it seems to be all over the board. It's normal for me to feel a bit sleepy in the afternoon, but for the few days following my shot, I could barely stay awake. Fortunately that has passed.
    I don't doubt that they'd offer to send a new part... but I'm not sure yet that's the problem. I do want to double check all my wiring to make sure my connections aren't flaky.

I noticed the same thing!

Yeah, Venice is clearly not the southernmost point.

Screenshot_20210602-123500_Maps~2.jpg
    How do I check that?
    liv2day, EZ-D, Sunday Rider and 2 others like this.
  16. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pernicious Anemia

Memphis has a very good medical system, but I doubt you would be able to get into a regular doc or hematologist given your limited time in town. If you don't know someone that can recommend a doctor, perhaps you could call an Urgent Care to find out if they can perform a blood test to determine if you have Intrinsic Factor antibodies, low iron or low B12?

Maybe check these folks for recommendation?
    https://pernicious-anaemia-society.org/articles/testing-for-pernicious-anaemia/

This is just a suggestion. I am not a doctor, I just sometimes play one on internet motorcycle forums.
    Centerlane, ChicoProf and Andyota like this.
  17. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RE: Feeling sleepy in afternoon

It's a plot! They start out training us to take a nap and have cookies and milk in kindergarten and then they take it away!
  18. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think that Jamie is anemic .......... he just needs more PORK in his diet! :lol3
    I've got the feeling that Memphis will remedy his "low pork" condition pretty quickly. :D

Hey Jamie, you ever been to the National Ornamental Metal Museum?
    It's a cool place that get's very little traffic it seems.
    Is the river model still on Mud Island?

RD
  19. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    My .02c. You had been riding for weeks non stop. You got back to the States and had your first covid inoculation.

Like clockwork, a couple of days later you felt super tired, same as I and many others felt from the first vaccine.

Difference is, after your first shot you kept riding. It must have been exhausting, I can’t even imagine. We passed out in our couches at 2pm and thought things were weird, riding a motorcycle for 8hrs is a whole other story.

Do yourself a favor and find a place to hunker down for 5 days after your second shot.
  20. cprbusa

cprbusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's going through taco withdrawals... :lol3
    SlowernOlder, jon_l, Jamie Z and 24 others like this.