RTW the Jamie Z Way: Going to Yucatan.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jamie Z, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    To see where I currently am, click here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=252e05fd6eeff63864&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I’ve been waiting for this day for a very long time. This is it. This is the big one. The one I’ve been waiting for all my life.

[​IMG]
    (Photo credit: Anthony Settipani)

That’s not entirely true. Though I’ve wanted to do some sort of motorized trans-continental trip since I was in my teens, it wasn’t until 2013 that I set the wheels in motion to actually go.

At the time I was dating a woman from work and we got to talking about travel. I described to her my idea of riding a motorcycle around the world, inspired by so many of the great ride reports on this website.

[​IMG]

She asked if she could join me. We could make the trip together. I remember she asked me how much I thought it would cost and I severely underestimated the amount. Eventually we came up with a more realistic number and an ambitious savings plan. What had been a dream of mine for so many years might actually happen! The ball was rolling.

For about five months we contributed heavily to our trip savings. We were on track to leave in a couple of years. I stayed busy researching gear and equipment and I gave Brenda a large world map to mark places she wanted to visit. We took a few day and weekend trips in the car and on the motorcycle to get our feet wet.

Abruptly she one day asked for her portion of our savings back. She left a note which implied that I had been scamming her. I left a check for over $5000 on our dining room table when I went to work; it was gone when I got home and we never spoke about our round-the-world trip again.

I continued saving, but without Brenda’s sizable contributions, it looked like I might be going around the world with a walker by the time I saved enough.

In 2015 I moved to Denver. I was driving for Uber, found a good paying job, and putting huge chunks of cash into my trip savings. The trip was back on track. Solo this time, but that made things easier on my daily budget and gave me more flexibility in planning.

I mention Brenda in this first post because even though it didn’t work out with us, it was her enthusiasm and encouragement that got this trip off the ground. Without her positive attitude and confidence in the beginning, I would never have begun the daunting task of planning and financing such an expedition.
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following
  3. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    "She left a note which implied that I had been scamming her".

Did you ever figure that out? Or is it one of life's unexplained mysteries...?

Either way, signed on!
  4. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Dracula

Dracula I don't want a pickle! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    [:dukegirl
  7. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for this adventure...
    Jamie Z likes this.
  8. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Excited for you. And excellent bike choice.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    HaHa—QOTD Jamie.
    Sadly this is the truth for many folks plans —-for any of their dreams of any kind!

Will be following along on your adventure.
    BB
  10. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    In.
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN!
  12. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going through AR?
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Good luck sucks about the GF but best you found out early on
    steved57 likes this.
  14. ScooterFunk

ScooterFunk n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    In.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I followed some of your trip planning, I am looking forward to the actual trip.
    Ginger Beard and Jamie Z like this.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It upset me quite a bit at first, but once I had the idea in my head that I was going to do it, I couldn't give up, even if I were solo. I thought a lot about whether I wanted to find someone who would like to go with me, and I even went out of my way to read ride reports of couples on such trips to understand their experience. In the end, it's pretty rare to find a partner who is up for this, so my plan was to go solo, but if I met someone who would join me, all the better. Well... you can see how that turned out.

Thanks. Bike choice was a long process. I used to ride a V-Strom, and it's a great bike, so initially my plan was to get another; the newer generations are even better than the one I had. Then I started thinking about the DR650 and it became the bike I was going to take. Until I saw a Rally Raid CB500X at Overland Expo a few years back. It was a hard choice, but I eventually settled on the CB500X, though I didn't go all-out Rally Raid. Truth is, it's not about the bike.

I never thought I could do it, and it hasn't been easy. Just a matter of staying persistent and chipping away; it's like geology, really.

Eventually.

Me too. Planning has been fun. Covid threw a wrench in there. I'll never feel like I'm ready. But it's time to go.
  17. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:

Yeah that type of woman is a pretty rare breed these guys have been on the road since 2003 together the fact that they kept going after he broke his neck says something about their grit and determination and making it work https://www.2ridetheworld.com/2rtw-about-journey if I had a serious plan with a partner to do an epic RTW ride then I would love to ask them what they do to make it work, if you follow Ed Marsh of https://c90adventures.co.uk/ he talks about the challenges that faces such a relationship but I assume if you speak to Simon and Lisa it is a relationship of compromise.

I don't think there is a right bike for a RTW bike, but the CB500X and the Vstrom 650 is up there twin cylinder EFI they both can shed a few pounds and improved suspension for off-road riding, then it would make the perfect bike for me, because when you are doing a RTW you don't need to rush to get there in a hurry, you just need something reliable comfortable fuel economical and cheap and easy to maintain it makes a massive difference to the budget, and when it all goes wrong you must be willing to walk away from it, there is a couple of countries that would very likely confiscate your vehicle for overstaying I believe Bolivia is top of that list so be aware of those rather leave a day early than leave it too the last minute to avoid the disappointment
  18. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to you. I'm less than a month away from retirement and will start planning a S. and Central American trip.

I look forward to learning from your experience (I'm sure there won't be any mistakes, right?). Speaking of budget, if you care to share the nitty gritty dollars and cents of these trips, I'm all ears. If you are not comfortable with that, I'm following anyway.
    BIG OIL, trex300 and Jamie Z like this.
  19. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Ready

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the trip, I have a feeling this one will become one of those epic RTW ride reports that us dreamers eagerly anticipate reading each day.... Sorry don’t mean to put the pressure on you, lol. Anyway it sounds like this has been in the planning stages for a long, long time so I assume you have a good plan. Looking forward to where this goes, definitely in.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  20. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    When are ya going? We need to do beers before ya set off.
    Jamie Z likes this.